Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a (just) one year old German Shepard. She is extremely hyper, and a digger.

My main concern is her finding old hooks/lures, and getting hurt.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to bring her along as a fishing companion though...

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thanks. That was one of the first things I thought of. We live in Estes Park, and there's nothing up here. Hard to find a schedule around work, and the kids activities. However, it may be what I'll have to do. Just look until I find a class on night I can take her down to the valley... I know it would be worth it in the long run. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
James I have owned close to thirty dogs in the last 25 years use be a fanatic upland bird hunter. Not all where hunting dogs I have always had a soft spot for the bull breeds. Anyways if the dog is hyper really the only thing is obedience and time. At one year old she is still a pup. Get the basic commands down and in time she will mellow out. Spading her might mellow her too. Fixing my dogs always seemed to chill them out. If she gets a hook stuck in her not that big of a deal, dogs are tuff pin her down with your knee and pull it out. Learned how tuff dogs are after fights with Porcupines and running through barb wire :smile:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have seen some dogs so fascinated with the fish that they sit patiently to let their owner catch on and they get super excited, I'm hoping that's what my short haired german pointer will do this summer I've never tried to fish with him. My golden retriever that just recently passed would sit by my side all day long. Like stated above though your dog is still a puppy and if not fixed that will change a lot. I wouldn't worry too much about hooks I mean if she digs a couple holes and gets a couple hook in her she may learn her lesson...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I've had setters all my life. They all start out hyper as all get out and then slowly mellow out.

1 year old is very young, there's going to be a lot of energy there at that age.

I don't think you have to go attend a class to teach obedience, you can teach basic commands sit, stay come, down and no with daily repetition, and spending about 15 minutes per day specifically teaching, then the rest of the time just practicing using the commands in daily life.

German Shepards are super intelligent dogs.

Part of the hyperness and digging is most likely from boredom and not having her energy expended.

Walk her or better yet find an open space area where she can run twice a week for an hour and she will mellow out some too.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Pretty much what others have said. Training, time, time, time. The more you work with them, the better they are.

Age helps. Most dogs don't really seem to chill out before 3 years old in my experience.

Can't stress enough, TIME. Spend the time with your dog. Turn everything into a training game, it will pay off.

Good luck. :thumb:

Just to piggy back on PT's post. If your dog is mischievous, YOU'RE overweight... In all seriousness though, dogs need a job. If they have a "job" they're much better behaved. Run her as much as possible. I used to run my boxer twice a day. He was still a handful. He's such an awesome dog now though. I can walk him off-leash, no problems. Even when other dogs are around. He's an old man now, so he's a lot more mellow than he was, but between 3-6, I couldn't have asked for a better dog.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Agree with the training, but it has to be the RIGHT training. I have given up on those large classes. Neither I nor the dogs ever get anything out of them. I have used a guy in Boulder that does 1:1 training. He's great, and I think does the first two sessions for free. If you would like his contact info send me a PM.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Take the dog fishing. Go to places that you are less likely to run into people at first. Nothing beats time on the water, and your dog will figure it out. Be consistent and don't allow behaviors that you do not want to have to tolerate. As mentioned if you haven't been working on basic obedience you better get on it.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
James, I think group session dog training classes are designed to help train the owner..rather than the dog. Get yourself a book on basic dog training..watch a few you tube vids..and spend time teaching your dog. He's a German Shepherd ..smart and he'll want to please you.

All you really need are the basics..Come..Heel..Sit..Stay and Down. Just work on them everyday for a half hour or so..and he'll do fine. Even if you take him to classes..you'll still have to work on him everyday at home..Just skip the middle man. And a lot of exercise will calm him down.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I like to run big dogs via mountain bike. I fostered a pit bull lab mix and even his dense head figured out how to ride next to the bike without being run over. Its easier to keep a fast pace that big fast dogs on a bicycle. I would take him for a 20 min around the neighborhood before going fishing. Otherwise he wanted to run for a while before settling down to fish. Plus I liked to establish we were there to fish and not be wild animals. Ice fishing is a good way to start them out I think. Its easier to get away from everyone and keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
My chocolate lab loves to go on the boat. Ill throw a fish in the livewell and leave the lid open. Keeps him entertained all day. Seriously...best fishin buddy ever doesn't ***** about me not giving him boat position and doesn't get mad when I outfish him.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
My chocolate lab loves to go on the boat. Ill throw a fish in the livewell and leave the lid open. Keeps him entertained all day. Seriously...best fishin buddy ever doesn't ***** about me not giving him boat position and doesn't get mad when I outfish him.

Like you ever have that problem...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I can outfish my dog.... barely.
Never thought of it that way, im going to bring my dogs with and rash talk them all day.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1st, I really appreciate all the replies. Dave, glad you replied. I had thought of pming you about this...

I should've been more specific, but these replies are going to help me a lot.

She is pretty well behaved. She will sit, lay down, won't take food out our hands. Stays in the yard when outside (for the most part..) She's good with people. She's been camping with us, and did well.

My biggest worry is her digging up or biting an old hook, or any tackle. Thanks to this, I'm a little less stressed about that now.

The other is that she doesn't like holding still, or being even a few feet away from us. If she can't get to us, she'll bark and bark (she's normally not a barker. I believe that with time, and lots of trips (as mentioned above) she'll get used to it, and calm down..

I would also love to have her kayak with me. Right now I have a sit in, but should have a sit on top by mid summer.

Again, I appreciate all the comments. As I start taking her more (she's been on about 10 fishing trips), I'm sure I'll have more questions..

Thank you all again

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you ever go bait fishing with the pup then I'd worry about hooks. My buddy brought his dog and she is a curious dog so of course she had to see what cat fish bait tasted like. My buddy put his pole down that was baited with two fatty cat fish hooks and wondered why his pole was getting dragged away before he casted. 450 $ xray later we had the option to pay 3-4000 to have both of them endo scooped out. We couldnt afford the x ray much less the price of a decent boat. She pooped em out the next day and was a happy pup. She ate some grass at the lake and the hooks got wrapped in grass so they came out just fine. It was scary trying to shove my hand down her throat and couldn't find the hooks. One was a huge treble.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts