Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished 8:30AM - 1:15PM. I trolled for about an hour with flat fish at 30' & 60' without a bite. Then went to old faithful and “landed” 45 Mac’s between 15-23" on tube jigs/sucker meat in 41'. Water temps at surface 42-47. These fish were not big, but the action was absolutely nonstop! When you can’t put your rod down for a refreshment (because your getting hits), well that a good day of fishin’ in my opinion. As far as non stop action and good fights.... you can’t beat it. There was actually some nut water skiing in 42 deg water. I knew that this guy couldn’t last too long and when he was done, the water once again was glass. I was interviewed by the DOW (on boat) about my catch and experiences fishing. The survey was brief, and we were treated very nicely and had the lines back in the water in no time. The guy said that most other fisherman were not doing very well and that I was the exception. And it’s because I was the only one jigging! All in all, the Mac fishing in the high country seems to be very active. Water levels seem good, and in the location I found these fish, I think water level was important in this great day of fun. Mosquitoes are pretty bad in the camp grounds if your planning to head up, but as the temps drop, the Mosquitoes all but disappear. All fished where released. Sorry, no pic’s as I left the camera in the truck, but you’ve all have seen 23" Mac’s anyway.

See ya on the water,

Adam D

·
Registered
116 Posts
How do you rig,and fish the tube,and sucker?Do you ever catch any other kind of trout?Sounds like it would work with browns.
Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very simple. Attach the tube jig to a snap swival, tip the hook with a small peice of sucker meat, send it to the bottom and jig. That's are there is to it. A very easy and effective way to catch Mac's. I have never caught any huge fish doing this (8 lbs tops), but alot of them often. Now if I can only get my down rigger to catch some on the troll, I'd feel better about saying "I know how to catch Mac's".

Adam D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts