Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Turquoise or Twins?

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  dblendc 
#1 ·
I will be in Leadville in a couple weeks and I have never iced Twins or Turquoise.

Which lake would you suggest for someone with out access to a snowmobile? I have all other equipment needed, just wondering what will I be faced with? I'm not targeting the monsters. I just want to learn about these lakes during the hard water season, and hopefully getting my father-in-law to reel in a couple fish.

Thank you,
d

#2 ·
Twin will be much more easier to explore if you don't have a snow machine. Turquoise only has one walkable area right at the damn which limits your access to the other parts of the lake.

#4 ·
Thank you f.m.lee

So if I understand correctly. I can get on Turquoise in the bowl area near the damn. Wouldn't that put me in the rainbow trout area in the shallows? Think any lakers would be cruising there?

I'm guessing you are referring to East twin lake as an easier access point?

#5 ·
you can get on turquoise at the dam area by walking down the hill of death, easy getting down not so much on the way back up. but if you choose to do that, walk down and out to about center of dam you will catch lots of rainbows and if you can get below them you can catch lake trout.

#6 ·
Thank you littlemac

Question...If I decide to take on the hill of death and (as you advise) head, "out to about center of dam you will catch lots of rainbows and if you can get below them you can catch lake trout.".......Could you guesstimate how deep the water will be there?

Suspended rainbows, with lakers below them does sound like a fun day.

#11 ·
Thank you for the video Cro!!! I think its great that you posted it almost one year ago to the date!:thumb:

I have ran across that same head-scratcher while trolling Turquoise. Caught rainbows where the lakers typically are and lakers where the rainbows typically are.

Thanks again,
d

#12 ·
Yea! Your welcome! It was quite a surprise for me to see a 4 inch tube be smacked by a 12 inch rainbow, the food must be scarce in that lake. And when you ice fish for them you'll see how dark they are. Good luck. I can't wait to hear how you ended up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.