Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I stayed the weekend in a bed and breakfast up above Twin Lake. I arrived at the lower lake early Saturday morning and fished west of whistlers point. I started in shallow water and worked out toward deeper water. I drilled a ton of holes at all sorts of depths looking for some structure. I was able to locate a nice weed bed but no rocks or ledges. I fished until noonish and didn't locate any fish except a few criusing trout higher in the water column. It's been said that Twin is an early morning fishery yet most of the people did not arrive until afternoon. The ice conditions were the best I've seen in a long time. The thickness was at least 24" thick and real hard and solid. Guys were driving all over the lake with their big old pick-ups.
I fished open water that afternoon for a short while at the power plant and also, no fish.
Headed to do a little float tubing at the Forebay Sunday morning. I only fished a short while because Ihave leaky waders and my electric pump could only fill my tube about half way. I did manage to pick up a few rainbows, but no macks. I would recomend tubing Forebay in the next few weeks. I was a great experience floating on a high mountain lake, alone, all while it snowed. I will be up there again before ice season is over.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The spillway at Twin Lakes usually has a bunch of rainbows stacked up in it this time of year, and if its sunny there is usually a hatch going on for some good action.

I wanted to hit this lake alot this winter but things kept coming up. Oh well next year! :p

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Only been to Twin Lakes twice this winter, got skunked both times. Usually we do awesome here. As for Mt. Elbert Forebay, we do great here in the canoe in the summertime trolling Flatfish. Dad and I just bought little pontoon boats, plan on going up soon to hit the cuttbows and lakers at Forebay. Needs to warm up just a little more. Forebay is defintiley fished better from a float tube, canoe, or pontoon boat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts