Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love nymphing Colorado's many rivers with pocket water. I use the the short line, high sticking with a strike indicator method. For many years, I used only one nymph but one day, I decided to use two nymphs and I have done this for about twenty years or more.

I have caught a lot of fish using the high sticking method with one fly and I've caught a lot of fish using the high sticking method with two flies but Icannot say I have caught more fish using two flies so I cannot explain why I use two flies except that old habits are hard to break.
Regardless of the method you use and the type of water you fish, can you honestly say you catch more fish with two flies? Yeah, I know, one fly canbe an attractor for the other.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Absolutely I catch more fish using two flies and I never use an "attractor" pattern. For me there is nothing more attracting like a natural followed by another natural. And in winter I most frequently throw three(if permitted).

There are many reasons for me using two or more flies It allows me to fish different patterns, colors, sizes, stages, and depths all at once. Fish in the net is called "feedback". I then can rig to present all the flies accordingly. This is especially deadly during a solid hatch where fish may be feeding on select stages or depths. Example: That "rise", more frequently than not, is a take on a subsurface or trapped emerger (cripple? lol). Why? Because it's easy picking. Cast that dry as you might with no results and then say "I can't get the drift" is the most common excuse for not presenting the correct stage. So by adding the dropper I now have covered both. Now I can say "I can't get the drift" LOL

Or if you're just nymphing with no real hatch taking place. I will improve my odds by placing two or more flies in the water column. One will be a bottom tumbler, next will be higher and higher again. If I'm catching everything on bottom I can move or add weight to make two flies tumble or all three. If one pattern is out producing, I can switch that as well. Catching everything on the dropper? I can adjust for all the flies to be more free and even suspended all in the column.

Using three flies in winter. Most fish will not move in the depths of winter to eat. Caloric thing, you know. With three flies the odds of hitting that fish in the nose has increase 200%. I will take that 200% when throwing #24s and #26s.

How many fish did I not catch because my nymphs were too high/low in water column? Wrong stage? Wrong size? Wrong tone? That would chew on me if I just fished one fly.

But, there are times I fish just one fly.... I call it dry fly fishing. lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slabseeker,

And just how many more fish have you caught? Give me some examples? Do you keep records?

If your comment about stupidity is directed at me, I will say your opinion of me is none of my business.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Slabseeker,

And just how many more fish have you caught? Give me some examples? Do you keep records?

If your comment about stupidity is directed at me, I will say your opinion of me is none of my business.
I am pretty sure that is his "signature" line and accompanies all his posts. So it is not necessarily directed at you.

Just trying to help keep the peace and it was a great post and a great response.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Two or three flies is the staple for me, even when dry fly fishing. When dry fly fishing the fish is already being "attracted" to a bug, but the refusal is common and this can be a great time to fish a smaller or different presentation while having the fishes attention.

It is not as easy to see under the water and when a fish may run from an attractor pattern, so if i do not get some type of action fairly quickly I do change and move away from an attractor type nymph and go all natural. I will commonly start with an attractor type nymph up top (dropper) though because if they are wanting some bling the action can be very fast and very good and even if they don't wan it but are moving to see what's up (an egg) then they make a swipe at my natural.

Although When drop shot nymphing I will commonly use my attractor as the bottom fly.

I am typically highsticking in pocket water as well but when I high stick or tight line (euro if you will) I do not use an indicator per se' but use my line or a sinking type indicator that has little to no effect on my drift.

So In a nut shell I do feel strongly that fishing more than one fly increases my fish count.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There was a recent discussion on this exact topic on the fly fishing forum; lots of good responses there.

In short, I always fish 2 offerings (unless I'm throwing streamers) and I find it much more productive than 1.
I would also say not to disregard using an attractor offering on a rig. There have been a number of times 2 natural offerings wouldn't produce much for me, but using a attractor + natural brought numerous fish to the net. It's not a silver bullet, but certainly an option to carry in your toolbox.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I highly recommend throwing two or more streamers at one time as well. Buggers are my favorite offering and I will always throw at least two..Separation distance changes and I will typically throw an olive or whitish and a black or dark in conjunction with each other.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I highly recommend throwing two or more streamers at one time as well. Buggers are my favorite offering and I will always throw at least two..Separation distance changes and I will typically throw an olive or whitish and a black or dark in conjunction with each other.

Hell yeah, I have done this, and it's a ton of fun. Big articulated streamer (had the most success w/Olive), and a white or brown crystal flash bugger behind.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Slabseeker,

Bucksnort,

You incorrectly inferred that my signature was directed at you. Your mistake but I'll attempt to oblige you with something positive and further answer your questions.

Do I have definitive proof? No. I have what is called anecdotal evidence from my 38 years of fly fishing in Colorado and the West in general. I provide that background only to support my personally observed evidence and for no other reason.

You presented your own personal observation that led to the question "... can you honestly say you catch more fish with two flies?". I could have just answered the question with a "Yes". In an effort to engage into a discussion and support why I KNOW I catch more fish with a two or three fly rig, I added my reasoning. (see post #2)

I will go on to state "a lot" is a subjective term, along with all other qualitative terminology. Maybe your definition is lower in number than mine? Maybe you go fishing and catch 10 yet another angler could catch 20. It can be skill driven number as well; not to mention the second or third fly he is using.:thumb:

Catching fish is not a lottery. We can stack the odds vastly into our favor with a single ticket by manipulating the details; improving both numbers and size. Even if it was a lottery, two or three tickets still yield better odds than one.

In the end, fish what allows you to achieve your idea of success and makes you happy. That's what it's all about, right?

Regards,
SS

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm much too lazy to tie on three flies, so I fish with 2 flies 100% of the time, no exceptions. I certainly believe that I catch more fish using 2 flies than I would if I only used one, but do I have proof...nope.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
SlabSeeker,

As I said, I've been using two flies for a long, long time. I don't want to seem disrespectful but your first response falls into the category of TMI - Too Much Information.

For seven years, I taught fly fishing at the now defunct Lowry Air Force Base through the outdoor recreation department. I would teach three to four classes during the summer with three to six students in each class. I never had a class when I wasn't asked about the myriad fly patterns available at fly stores. It was always, "which one do I choose?" I taught students to keep things simple and not get caught up in splitting hairs or to be inundated with information overload. I taught the basics. Of course, you can't teach much more than the basics with only five nights of three hours each and a one day outing to a river of my choice.

As a side note, I now live in Arizona. I had almost 40 years in Colorado to explore but at 75 years old (damn, did I say 75?), I do not have the time to explore so I'm up against a wicked learning curve trying to find where the locals go. I am not doing well here. Believe me, it's different.

I still cannot say fishing two flies caught more fish but I will say I caught one hell of a lot of fish in 40 years.

·
Registered
238 Posts
SlabSeeker,

As I said, I've been using two flies for a long, long time. I don't want to seem disrespectful but your first response falls into the category of TMI - Too Much Information.

For seven years, I taught fly fishing at the now defunct Lowry Air Force Base through the outdoor recreation department. I would teach three to four classes during the summer with three to six students in each class. I never had a class when I wasn't asked about the myriad fly patterns available at fly stores. It was always, "which one do I choose?" I taught students to keep things simple and not get caught up in splitting hairs or to be inundated with information overload. I taught the basics. Of course, you can't teach much more than the basics with only five nights of three hours each and a one day outing to a river of my choice.

As a side note, I now live in Arizona. I had almost 40 years in Colorado to explore but at 75 years old (damn, did I say 75?), I do not have the time to explore so I'm up against a wicked learning curve trying to find where the locals go. I am not doing well here. Believe me, it's different.

I still cannot say fishing two flies caught more fish but I will say I caught one hell of a lot of fish in 40 years.
Bucksnort,

TMI....just supported my observation with appropriate reasoning. I'll keep that in consideration when I respond to your future questions.

Discussing rigs with advanced anglers and beginners are two different worlds. My answer is one to be applied in the advanced angler's world. A novice will catch more fish on a short, one fly, 3x rig. Why? They will spend more time with a rig actively probing the water and less time untangling poor casting knots and replacing lost flies. When running multiple flies on long lengths of level tippet w/, w/o weight w/, w/o indicator, you better have some experience or you'll be sitting on the bank most of the day asking how the beans above the frank.

AZ fishing:

Been quite a few years since I fished Lee's Ferry. In fact, before the big flush in 2008(?). Lots of water and it can be covered more efficiently and thoroughly with a multi fly rig; as goes for all "larger" water systems.

You have backyard accessibility for Apache and Gila trout. A one fly, dry, search for those native gems in my opinion. Here is where that solo rig will be the meal ticket. Wouldn't it be nice to catch one of each just to say you did? Too cool in my book as I have never fished these species.

Unless health reasons are keeping you home, get out there and explore. There are maps and AZ. State websites that will aid you in your search. I know of two clubs in AZ. that would flatten that learning curve quickly.

http://www.azflycasters.org
https://az-tu.org/

You're not dead yet, so no excuses.:thumb:

SS

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will say I found one negative aspect about using more than one fly - more tangles. And when you are untangling line, or dropping a deuce, or eating lunch, or at home mowing the yard, you are not fishing.

By the way, I mentioned the power curve I'm up against in Arizona. I do want to say, although Arizona doesn't have the locations to fish like Colorado, these anglers are a tough bunch. When you are on your knees sneaking up to a run in a creek that's small enough to spit across just to hook a trout, you are a dedicated and experienced angler.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
SlabSeeker, trust me, I'm not sitting on my patootie. I have all the AZ Forest Service maps and a bunch of books and articles and I have been out exploring. I am an information junkie. When you are retired, every day is Saturday so I have plenty of time to explore.

You forgot to mention the Desert Fly Casters, which meets in Chandler, AZ monthly. I am a member.

Apache and Gila trout are on my bucket list (at my age, I hate the term, "bucket list"). Last October, I caught my first Apache in the Black River in the White Mountains. On that same trip, I met two gents from Tucson at Frye Mesa Reservoir in southeast Arizona. Frye Mesa has/had Gila trout but most, if not all, were killed by ash and silt from a fire up stream, last summer. We did not catch anything. What we did see, which is grounds for justifiable homicide, is gold fish. Someone dumped gold fish in the lake.

Apache and Gila are the only native trout to Arizona. There is another lake northwest of Phoenix, Goldwater, that has Gila. I may give it a try this summer. Gila are more rare than Apache. I have no desire to fish Lee's Ferry. For one thing, it's a four hour drive and is the only trout body in the area. I would rather drive 4.5 hours or more to the White Mountains in eastern Arizona where there are lakes and some decent streams.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way. I'd be hesitant to fish the Ferry as well these days. With the explosion of people into the Tucson and Phoenix area, I would bet that everyday is a weekend there. Went down last year to visit a friend and holy cow has it grown.

Gold fish...What can I say except people are stupid. Now you have a little insight as to my signature. LOL. We had a big one swimming around in one of our local SWA ponds few years back. It either died or someone caught and killed it. Sounds like an easy club fundraiser, Gold Fever. I bet AGF would even help promote it. LMAO

Now go get that Gila. Summer there it's too hot.

SS

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Slab,

Ok, ok, I am now not offended by your signature line since you mentioned stupidity relative to the gold fish situation. My favorite signature line, which I rarely use is, "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails, play dead). If you are a Red Green fan, you will recognize this.

The forest fire above Frye Mesa Reservoir also had/has a negative impact on Gila trout in the creek above the res. There were many people who volunteered to go to the creek after the fire to help remove as many Gilas as possible. Those fish were taken to a hatchery in western New Mexico. Gila are also found in western New Mexico. I don't know if it's a native trout.

Before my trip to Frye Mesa, last fall, I contacted Arizona Game and Fish to inquire about the status of Gilas. I was told they restocked the lake. An angler said, on another forum, he saw hundreds of dead fish after the stocking but AZ Game & Fish said they saw only a few. We did not see any dead fish.

I will watch for positive reports about the recovery of Gila trout in Frye Mesa then consider another trip.

Last summer, an angler caught what might be a record Arizona Gila trout from Goldwater Lake. I don't know the status of this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts