Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Absolutely I catch more fish using two flies and I never use an "attractor" pattern. For me there is nothing more attracting like a natural followed by another natural. And in winter I most frequently throw three(if permitted).

There are many reasons for me using two or more flies It allows me to fish different patterns, colors, sizes, stages, and depths all at once. Fish in the net is called "feedback". I then can rig to present all the flies accordingly. This is especially deadly during a solid hatch where fish may be feeding on select stages or depths. Example: That "rise", more frequently than not, is a take on a subsurface or trapped emerger (cripple? lol). Why? Because it's easy picking. Cast that dry as you might with no results and then say "I can't get the drift" is the most common excuse for not presenting the correct stage. So by adding the dropper I now have covered both. Now I can say "I can't get the drift" LOL

Or if you're just nymphing with no real hatch taking place. I will improve my odds by placing two or more flies in the water column. One will be a bottom tumbler, next will be higher and higher again. If I'm catching everything on bottom I can move or add weight to make two flies tumble or all three. If one pattern is out producing, I can switch that as well. Catching everything on the dropper? I can adjust for all the flies to be more free and even suspended all in the column.

Using three flies in winter. Most fish will not move in the depths of winter to eat. Caloric thing, you know. With three flies the odds of hitting that fish in the nose has increase 200%. I will take that 200% when throwing #24s and #26s.

How many fish did I not catch because my nymphs were too high/low in water column? Wrong stage? Wrong size? Wrong tone? That would chew on me if I just fished one fly.

But, there are times I fish just one fly.... I call it dry fly fishing. lol

· Registered
284 Posts
Slabseeker,

And just how many more fish have you caught? Give me some examples? Do you keep records?

If your comment about stupidity is directed at me, I will say your opinion of me is none of my business.
Bucksnort,

You incorrectly inferred that my signature was directed at you. Your mistake but I'll attempt to oblige you with something positive and further answer your questions.

Do I have definitive proof? No. I have what is called anecdotal evidence from my 38 years of fly fishing in Colorado and the West in general. I provide that background only to support my personally observed evidence and for no other reason.

You presented your own personal observation that led to the question "... can you honestly say you catch more fish with two flies?". I could have just answered the question with a "Yes". In an effort to engage into a discussion and support why I KNOW I catch more fish with a two or three fly rig, I added my reasoning. (see post #2)

I will go on to state "a lot" is a subjective term, along with all other qualitative terminology. Maybe your definition is lower in number than mine? Maybe you go fishing and catch 10 yet another angler could catch 20. It can be skill driven number as well; not to mention the second or third fly he is using.:thumb:

Catching fish is not a lottery. We can stack the odds vastly into our favor with a single ticket by manipulating the details; improving both numbers and size. Even if it was a lottery, two or three tickets still yield better odds than one.

In the end, fish what allows you to achieve your idea of success and makes you happy. That's what it's all about, right?

Regards,
SS

· Registered
284 Posts
SlabSeeker,

As I said, I've been using two flies for a long, long time. I don't want to seem disrespectful but your first response falls into the category of TMI - Too Much Information.

For seven years, I taught fly fishing at the now defunct Lowry Air Force Base through the outdoor recreation department. I would teach three to four classes during the summer with three to six students in each class. I never had a class when I wasn't asked about the myriad fly patterns available at fly stores. It was always, "which one do I choose?" I taught students to keep things simple and not get caught up in splitting hairs or to be inundated with information overload. I taught the basics. Of course, you can't teach much more than the basics with only five nights of three hours each and a one day outing to a river of my choice.

As a side note, I now live in Arizona. I had almost 40 years in Colorado to explore but at 75 years old (damn, did I say 75?), I do not have the time to explore so I'm up against a wicked learning curve trying to find where the locals go. I am not doing well here. Believe me, it's different.

I still cannot say fishing two flies caught more fish but I will say I caught one hell of a lot of fish in 40 years.
Bucksnort,

TMI....just supported my observation with appropriate reasoning. I'll keep that in consideration when I respond to your future questions.

Discussing rigs with advanced anglers and beginners are two different worlds. My answer is one to be applied in the advanced angler's world. A novice will catch more fish on a short, one fly, 3x rig. Why? They will spend more time with a rig actively probing the water and less time untangling poor casting knots and replacing lost flies. When running multiple flies on long lengths of level tippet w/, w/o weight w/, w/o indicator, you better have some experience or you'll be sitting on the bank most of the day asking how the beans above the frank.

AZ fishing:

Been quite a few years since I fished Lee's Ferry. In fact, before the big flush in 2008(?). Lots of water and it can be covered more efficiently and thoroughly with a multi fly rig; as goes for all "larger" water systems.

You have backyard accessibility for Apache and Gila trout. A one fly, dry, search for those native gems in my opinion. Here is where that solo rig will be the meal ticket. Wouldn't it be nice to catch one of each just to say you did? Too cool in my book as I have never fished these species.

Unless health reasons are keeping you home, get out there and explore. There are maps and AZ. State websites that will aid you in your search. I know of two clubs in AZ. that would flatten that learning curve quickly.

http://www.azflycasters.org
https://az-tu.org/

You're not dead yet, so no excuses.:thumb:

SS

· Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way. I'd be hesitant to fish the Ferry as well these days. With the explosion of people into the Tucson and Phoenix area, I would bet that everyday is a weekend there. Went down last year to visit a friend and holy cow has it grown.

Gold fish...What can I say except people are stupid. Now you have a little insight as to my signature. LOL. We had a big one swimming around in one of our local SWA ponds few years back. It either died or someone caught and killed it. Sounds like an easy club fundraiser, Gold Fever. I bet AGF would even help promote it. LMAO

Now go get that Gila. Summer there it's too hot.

SS

· Registered
284 Posts
Slab,

Ok, ok, I am now not offended by your signature line since you mentioned stupidity relative to the gold fish situation. My favorite signature line, which I rarely use is, "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails, play dead). If you are a Red Green fan, you will recognize this.
LOL. Yes, I am a Red Green fan and I did recognize it. Another good aphorism "illegitimi non carborundum ". Maybe I should put my signature in Latin>:D

So I was on the water the other day fishing and started thinking about this thread. While I didn't fish a one fly nymph rig, hands down the three fly rig outperformed the two fly rig. I fished the same 15 yards of a 70 yard hold all day and probably hooked many of the fish twice.:eek: The hole isn't named "Social Security" for nothing. ;D Funny thing was I landed a fish that broke me off the time before; it still had my pattern stuck on his tongue. Thought it was bigger but a good fish nonetheless.:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.