Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stop by the Roaring Judy this afternoon to see how the koke run is going into the hatchery. I stop by the east river where an older guy had just landed a male, it was fowl hooked in the belly with a nice sized red hook, he lets it lay in the rocks for about 3 minutes while talking to his buddys, finally he unhooks it and it lays in the water " it is just layijng there he tells his buds" noshit !! so I stay to watch the show , he flips his red hook up stream of the trough and watchs the line drift through the school of kokes, setting the hook if anything is seen on the line, fowl hooks 2 more fish that get off, then fowl hooks another in the ass and big fight is on to get it in. Well he gets it to shore and I have had enough and ask " do you catch any in the mouth" his lady friend speaks up "not many", I tell them that maybe they should leave the fish alone if all they are doing is snagging . The fun begains, BLAHBLAHBLAH, oh well I leave but tell them before departing that they have set a new low for fly fisherman, snagging with a fly rod. so I call operation game thief number, get voice mail box, please leave your name and number WTF. So I call the DOW in Gunni....voice mail.........what a bunch a ballony going on in that river with the low egg numbers the last thing those fish need is this garbage..but I guess I'm the only one that cares :mad: :mad: :'( :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
bobco said:
I guess I'm the only one that cares :mad: :mad: :'( :'(
You're not the only one. Unfortunately the people who could do something about it have demonstrated repeatedly that they don't care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
man that's bs , that run is very important regarding the kokes in the state and they could care less , did alot make it to the raceways ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kokaneeking said:
man that's bs , that run is very important regarding the kokes in the state and they could care less , did alot make it to the raceways ?
I talked to hatchery tech and he said they just started showing up in the ponds, he noted that every dead fish at this point is 1000 eggs in the hatchery, that river needs to be SHUT DOWN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
bobco said:
kokaneeking said:
man that's bs , that run is very important regarding the kokes in the state and they could care less , did alot make it to the raceways ?
I talked to hatchery tech and he said they just started showing up in the ponds, he noted that every dead fish at this point is 1000 eggs in the hatchery, that river needs to be SHUT DOWN.
thats interesting , i agree , they should close the river down , the eggs are so important to the future of the kokes in our state , to let these fly fisherman play them to death is just dumb, i bet if we played there precious trout to death and had them out of the water for more then a sec they would be crying like babies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Thanks for stepping in and sharing your opinions with those FF Bobco...that was good of you.

Be careful of those retirees...some of those guys can be SOBs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I saw something similar a few years ago. It was a family of 10-12 people. They were fishing in front of the concrete diversion and were acting funny. I was at my truck taking off my waders and putting my fly rod away when they came walking up. The 4 guys in the family were carrying 2 coolers that were so heavy they had to set them down and take a break. Hmm, 100 pound coolers coming out of the Roaring Judy. I called OGT and got a machine. I left their license plate numbers and a description of what I saw.

I think the DOW may consider those fish a lost cause because they already passed the hatchery intake. But still, the rules are the rules. It is frustrating...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RD3 said:
I saw something similar a few years ago. It was a family of 10-12 people. They were fishing in front of the concrete diversion and were acting funny. I was at my truck taking off my waders and putting my fly rod away when they came walking up. The 4 guys in the family were carrying 2 coolers that were so heavy they had to set them down and take a break. Hmm, 100 pound coolers coming out of the Roaring Judy. I called OGT and got a machine. I left their license plate numbers and a description of what I saw.

I think the DOW may consider those fish a lost cause because they already passed the hatchery intake. But still, the rules are the rules. It is frustrating...
they are past the entry but I know the current hatchey tech is getting a shocking truck and going to get those fish, they have chased them all the way up to slate creek in Crested Butte in the past , also there is some nautural reproduction going on in the slate creek run ......machine on OGT is ballony IMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
This just shows what we are up against. They really don't want to preserve our kokes bad enough. No doubt Blue Mesa has WAYYYY too many small lake trout, but they would have proposed one fish over 30" rather than one fish over 38" if they really cared. I would be okay with no bag limit for macks under 20", but this knew regulation will cause me to harvest no lake trout.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top