Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

In your opinion what is the best drag for light tippets?

• Tibor Spring Creek CL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lamson Litespeed

• Ross Evolution

• Other

Ultimate Fly Reel

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tvactor 
#1 ·
In your opinion what is the best drag for light tippets?

1] Tibor Spring Creek CL

2] Lamson Litespeed

3] Ross Evolution

4] Other

#2 ·
i dont know a bout drags but the best method i have found to not break off with light tippets is to catch small fish ;D

sorry couldnt resist

#5 ·
all of the reels mentioned on your poll have a pretty light start up, so they will all work on light tippets....a favorite? geez, i dont know...Ross has a new reel out now called the CLA--- (which is fairly cheap actually...a 4-6 wt model is about 180 bucks) and i played with one the other day---its machining and smoothness make all my others seem like junk. im not saying go buy one, but if you are in a shop at least take a look at one and see if im wrong...it seems like a nice reel for a good price. spin one and feel the balance and how well it runs on freespool...they out did the Evolution in that department i think. the drag is like the other Ross offers, self lubricating and maintenance free (yeah, sounds like magic...)

Im kind of old school...i have lots of reels, but i really dig my San Miguels...overpriced, yes, but nice oh yeah...

heres the CLA...kinda looks the Ross's other models.

#7 ·
From a manufacturing standpoint, stamping would seem a lot more effective and cheaper...but im certain the internal portions are machined, if not the entire reel with all the new modern day computer machining tools they have out there. im not very knowledgeable on the subject, but heres what they advertise:

Fully machined out of 6061 - T6 aircraft quality aluminum, which has undergone a proprietary process that increases the strength of the metal and allows for the application of a more durable anodize

"Fully" machined?....im not sure. Brad Befus works at Ross, i suppose if you really wanted to find out we could call him...hes a nice enough guy and would answer us fully im sure...

#9 ·
they definately have nice finishes...and are fully anodized...so they can withstand corrosion very well. i tried to get a small San Miguel model engraved one time though, and it didnt turn out too well...so thats one drawback to anodization...but the only one i can think of.

heres a pic of a San Miguel 3 i have on a 7 wt...this one was engraved by Ross---they must have a special engraving process as the engraving always turns out nice. the one i tried to get done turned out chipped and not too pretty...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.