Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can't go wrong with those. The key is having the wool felt insulation encased in rubber, so your socked foot is next to a rubber layer that will not let your foot perspiration get into the felt. Here's a link to a photo of the old Bristol Thermoboot:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/46182014/vintage-1970s-converse-thermoboot-rain

. . . which used the same concept of rubber-encased wool felt. My father was wearing these ice fishing back in the 70's one day when it was about 10 deg, and one foot dropped through the ice near shore and his boot filled with water - he wrung his wool sock out, put it back on, dumped the water out of the boot, put it back on, and fished the rest of the day and his foot was warm because the wool felt insulation did not get wet. The Bristols would keep our feet warm at -20, just sitting. The Mickeys have an even thicker layer of wool felt so they're even warmer. Great concept, and I'm surprised it has not been continued today.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought my black ones at Arvada Army Surplus years ago for ice fishing. They work great! They were about $60 then.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I found out some more info on these. The white ones are rated to -60, black ones to -10. "Bata" brand are reported to be the best (better quality rubber). These boots do seem to be widely available, even at Jax, Amazon and E-bay as noted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts