Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys fish UL? I just bought a new setup. I like the feel better and a better fight getting them in.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Didn't you go through an ultralight phase a few years ago? I seem to remember almost buying a reel from you...

To answer the question: I put fishing an UL right up there with dry flies on my 3 wt.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always liked and used UL. A phase for me would be to use something heavier. ;D

I don't catch big fish, so I like to have fun with the med fish.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Pete,

I use U/L almost exclusively( For Spin fishing )and normally throw lures from 1/8 to 1/4 oz. Five foot fast action rod and a 1000 size Shimano reel spooled with 1#/6# braided line. I fish Antero a lot and have never had a problem with fish up to 7 1/2# or so. It still gets them in a lot quicker than a 5wt with a 2x leader. Always crush the barbs...please.

Bill

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
you can catch big fish on UL about 6 years ago i caught 3 fish with 3 cast over 3 hours at pueblo. the first was a channel cat of 15 lbs, the second was a walleye of 25 inchs and the third was another channel cat that went 13 lbs all caught on a roadrunner jid on a 5 1'2 foot ugly stick with a shimano 1000 and 4 lb trilene

·
Registered
516 Posts
Love u.l.s. Got disenchanted for a while after losing A 12 lb steelhead in n.y. With a 5 1/2 ft. Ugly stick. I particularly like the featherlight series by eagle claw, durable, cheap,& a whole bunch of fun. I really prefer long noodle rods (9 1/2-10 1/2 ft.) though-you can use lighter line or leader, & can handle big fish while smaller fish are still fun to catch.

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
I have a 6' ultra light Loomis that I tied up several years ago. I use it as my bait dunking/bobber rod. Those fat 11-mile bows hate that rod! ;)

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I have a 6' ultra light Loomis that I tied up several years ago. I use it as my bait dunking/bobber rod. Those fat 11-mile bows hate that rod! ;)
You mean the bows USED to hate that rod.....since they are all in your tummy now :D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Ultralight is awesome!! Much better challenge...great fights. Second choice, behind a flyrod, while fishing for trout & bluegill. I haven't got the courage to use it for Bass yet.. :D

One piece of advice: I don't know if you have bought line yet? But I have found that Trilene Maxx is exceptional for the purpose (4lb test).. Good luck with the new setup!!

D.J.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
djfisherman2 said:
Ultralight is awesome!! Much better challenge...great fights. Second choice, behind a flyrod, while fishing for trout & bluegill. I haven't got the courage to use it for Bass yet.. :D

One piece of advice: I don't know if you have bought line yet? But I have found that Trilene Maxx is exceptional for the purpose (4lb test).. Good luck with the new setup!!

D.J.

I'm trying the new Suffix 832 6lb (2lb equal dia to mono). Shimano 7' UL, and ABU Garcia Soron 1000. If I need a leader i'm using 4 lb Flouro.

I really like the reel. I've had Shimano Sustain reels in the past, and the ABU garcia is much smoother at half the price. The rod i've used quite a bit in the past and like it.

It should work good on the Ark and lakes in the area. Hopefully.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Pete-G said:
djfisherman2 said:

D.J.

I'm trying the new Suffix 832 6lb (2lb equal dia to mono). Shimano 7' UL, and ABU Garcia Soron 1000. If I need a leader i'm using 4 lb Flouro.

I really like the reel. I've had Shimano Sustain reels in the past, and the ABU garcia is much smoother at half the price. The rod i've used quite a bit in the past and like it.

It should work good on the Ark and lakes in the area. Hopefully.
Sounds like a nice setup!! I love Shimano rods. Although I'm curious why you are choosing braid as your line? When fishing ultralight, stealthy approach is important when using smaller lures.. But I would defiantly recommend the leader with your choice, I'd recommend P-line Floroclear. It's great!

Anyway..if you ever want to hit the Arkansas river through town, let me know. Be glad to meet up sometime.

D.J.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have one of my reels spooled with 1/8 power pro with a 4lb flouro leader and I love it. I'm still using a m/l spinning rod for a little more backbone though.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have several different UL outfits and like them a lot, although I wouldn't go pike fishing or wiper fishing with them.

I don't use ULs to give the fish a better break, I use them so that I can get long casts with lightweight lures on light line. The fish already have all the advantage they need, considering that it's me on the other end of the line. :D

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not trying to give the fish a better break.

I'm trying to give myself more fun. ;D

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Anteroman said:
Pete,

I use U/L almost exclusively( For Spin fishing )and normally throw lures from 1/8 to 1/4 oz. Five foot fast action rod and a 1000 size Shimano reel spooled with 1#/6# braided line. I fish Antero a lot and have never had a problem with fish up to 7 1/2# or so. It still gets them in a lot quicker than a 5wt with a 2x leader. Always crush the barbs...please.

Bill

If you're releasing fish and are concerned about their survival, keeping your fingers out of their gills might be a good idea as well. ::)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts