Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had an ultralight setup before and as a coincidence I recently decided that catching trout on the rivers is more fun with a spinning rig and various lures than a fly rod and various pieces of lint.

So today I found a nice little IM7 ultralight for a great price and took it out this evening to give it a try.

What a blast it is! I caught solid dozen or so browns (biggest was 13", sorry no pics...I dropped the camera in the river earlier this week and it's dead) and getting a nice sized brown in some good current with the ultralight is great fun.

I need to figure out some issues with what kind of line I want to use...(I had some twisting and tangling problems) But other than that, It was great.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I know a lot of guys that "specialize" in ultralight fishing for trout...its definately an effective way to catch fish, ive been skunked on many occasion fly fishing while they cleaned up with spinners like Panther Martins and Rooster Tails. Its especially effective when the water is high and off color a bit ive noticed..so it will be a perfect technique to apply when runoff hits here shortly.

As far as line...depending on the size reel you are using, light seems to be the way to go---either 4 or 6 lb test. when using a lure that twists a lot (like a spinner) a snap-type swivel helps reduce line twists and kinking. also be careful how you spool your line, if it goes on your reel twisted...well it will come off twisted and create problems. experiment with line brands, some are limper than others and will work better for you. also dont over spool your reel with too much line: this also will reduce your problems with line twist. i like the braided type lines they have out there now (power pro and spider wire), but i dont know if they will work well for small stream applications due to the visibility factor...so you might want to stick with mono for your ultra light when you are fishing small clear streams...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice on line Rottal, I typically use power pro on all my reels but I'm unsure of how the lighter power pro will work. Visibility shouldn't be an issue because I use mono leader on all my power pro filled reels...for trout I usually tie on a 4X or 5X fly line tippet of about 3'.

I have mono on it now but it's too heavy (8lb) because it's what I had lying around...I still have the 4x tippet on the end and it worked ok for today. I'm going to go out here soon and buy some line for it...if anyone has experience with the light weight power pro on an ultralight reel, let me know. I think my reel capacity is 100 yards of 4lb diameter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I only use ultra-light gear for trout, and my line is 2lb test diameter Power Pro top shotted with about 10' of 4lb test Yo-Zuri hydro-carbon. It will improve your casts by about 40' with that PP. With straight mono I always have a few line twists and loose a little line when it is brand new, it takes a few trips to mellow out. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you are fishing for trout in the streams then I would suggest using a mono for line. The line will be more invisible and the strech in mono will keep you from tearing the hook out of their mouth when you set the hook. If you ask me the 4 or 6 lb Triliene XL is a great choice for your setup. Some guys really like the superlines and I use to be one. Now I think mono is great for most applications.

M

·
0 Posts
I have two ultralight 2lb test setups. I like the Trilene XL (red box) and have two reels spooled with it. I have another spool set up with 3 lb Maxima. I get criticized for this setup all the time (your line is going to stretch too much, your going to fight the fish to exhaustion, blah, blah, blah). Fact is, you have to think about what you are targeting, and keep in mind that this is about the equivalent of a 5x or 6x setup on your fly rod (have someone pull the line out on your fly rod and hold it, while you stop the drag and back up - you'll see more stretch than with straight mono). I've been successful with both Powerbait as well as small spinners and jigs for trout and panfish.

I have another couple of rods set up with 4 lb. I use the Trilene XL for them as well.

I reserve the stiffer line for heavier rods.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the line advice. I decided to go with the 2lb power pro to keep all of my setups consistant with the same type of line. The 2lb power pro is amazing...no twist or tangle problems, casts unbleiveably far considering I'm throwing 1/8 oz and lighter lures...incredible. I highly recommend it. Caught 5 browns today...biggest about 14". Good times.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
My ultralight is absolutely my most favorite rod of all time. I take heavier rods with me too, when I go fishing, but I never leave the ultralight behind, and that is the rod I get out and try first. If I find a combination that works, that may be the only rod I fish with all day. I keep 2 spools wound with 2 lb. test and 4 lb. test. (Mono)

I got my first UL outfit a year ago, a birthday present from my kids, and now I don't know why it took me so long to get started on ultralight fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts