Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had an ultralight setup before and as a coincidence I recently decided that catching trout on the rivers is more fun with a spinning rig and various lures than a fly rod and various pieces of lint.

So today I found a nice little IM7 ultralight for a great price and took it out this evening to give it a try.

What a blast it is! I caught solid dozen or so browns (biggest was 13", sorry no pics...I dropped the camera in the river earlier this week and it's dead) and getting a nice sized brown in some good current with the ultralight is great fun.

I need to figure out some issues with what kind of line I want to use...(I had some twisting and tangling problems) But other than that, It was great.

· Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice on line Rottal, I typically use power pro on all my reels but I'm unsure of how the lighter power pro will work. Visibility shouldn't be an issue because I use mono leader on all my power pro filled reels...for trout I usually tie on a 4X or 5X fly line tippet of about 3'.

I have mono on it now but it's too heavy (8lb) because it's what I had lying around...I still have the 4x tippet on the end and it worked ok for today. I'm going to go out here soon and buy some line for it...if anyone has experience with the light weight power pro on an ultralight reel, let me know. I think my reel capacity is 100 yards of 4lb diameter.

· Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the line advice. I decided to go with the 2lb power pro to keep all of my setups consistant with the same type of line. The 2lb power pro is amazing...no twist or tangle problems, casts unbleiveably far considering I'm throwing 1/8 oz and lighter lures...incredible. I highly recommend it. Caught 5 browns today...biggest about 14". Good times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.