Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yup... and due to its easy access you can expect quite a few other anglers there as well. It's one of the most "accessible" fisheries around.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I fished it a few years ago during the week. DOW had stocked a bunch of huge Rainbow brood stock in there. That was fun.

·
Registered
271 Posts
bharber fishes it a lot and would be the go to source. It is probably getting hammered because of the lack of other open water. Looks like Miramonte just opened up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would not travel to specifically fish it but if you do attempt to avoid the weekend and especially 3 day weekends! The numbers of people can be from a handful to take a ticket and at current flows there are just holes and really they are barely big enough for just 2 friends. Apart from the potential crowds (and one particular guide if you have the misfortune of having him around), it can be fun and there are some good fish. A big brown is the real target but the eager cutts and brooder bows can fill in the time. If you get bored you can walk over to the bait ponds and catch stockers until your arms fall off.

SS

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I would not travel to specifically fish it but if you do attempt to avoid the weekend and especially 3 day weekends! The numbers of people can be from a handful to take a ticket and at current flows there are just holes and really they are barely big enough for just 2 friends. Apart from the potential crowds (and one particular guide if you have the misfortune of having him around), it can be fun and there are some good fish. A big brown is the real target but the eager cutts and brooder bows can fill in the time. If you get bored you can walk over to the bait ponds and catch stockers until your arms fall off.

SS
:pray: ^^^Word^^^ :pray:

"Apart from the potential crowds (and one particular guide if you have the misfortune of having him around)"

…Do tell?!

:gossip:

You mean the one with the step ladder :)

:whistle:

Or is there more than one undesirable individual fishin' guide there??

:behindsofa:

Mom always said "there was 1 weirdo on every bus"....I could never find them.

:doh:

Thank goodness I am not a guide!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Funny!

I don't even know the dude; it was just a guess.

Too many fishing opportunities over that way to spend time at paco for me... unless I have the wife + kid in which case those ponds are a nice place to drop them for awhile so I can get some focused fishing time in :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Paco is the epitome of a discombobulated group of crankers and flailers trying for a fake fish.

If you fish it fish it from midnight to 4 am. Fish are far easier to hook and most people are lame.

Definitely eat the fish you catch out of there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Paco is the epitome of a discombobulated group of crankers and flailers trying for a fake fish.

If you fish it fish it from midnight to 4 am. Fish are far easier to hook and most people are lame.

Definitely eat the fish you catch out of there.
LOL.

I recommend putting the fish you catch in the river back seeing as how it's CnR. The ponds you can keep according to regs. Eat away. LMAO

Unfortunately the crowds (outside of summer) arrived on the heels of an article in a fishing magazine.

The truth hurts.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Eat them to lower the lead content in the water and raise your lead content.
Nothing like a little arsenic for added flavor and mercury for a shiny coat. LOL That's the beauty of reservoirs, a giant sedimentation sink that keeps the water below clean. Above the res I'd be more worried about some hippie taking a bath in it or, worse yet, some hippie living on it's banks upstream and using it as a personal toilet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ridgeway has improved the quality of the water downstream. When we sampled it in 1976 the browns had black tail indicating lead contamination.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Filter or no filter, I ain't eatin' one of dem fish...

·
Registered
239 Posts
The fish out of the ponds are as clean as they come. Hatchery raised. I would almost consider betting they are cleaner than some of the frozen pollock found in the supermarket boxes. Just about every river in CO has some sort of metal in it. After all, the mineral belt cuts across the state.

After sampling and dissecting so many fish, I have a hard time eating anything from warm water. The parasites; tapeworms, flukes and the associated cysts. These fish also predominately live in waters that are fed by hardened earth run off or storm sewers; carrying human waste, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers...I better stop; getting the heebie-jeebies. As a result, I'd personally eat 10 Ridgway trout long before one Front Range bass. LOL

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
the irrigation run off with fertilizer is getting to be a little concerning to me for lakes/reservoirs around the country. Could be years/decades before we understand if there is an impact to the fish (and of course the animals/humans who consume them).

of course, with moderation most things are acceptable and we can at least monitor metal intake/concentration.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts