W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never tried it, but wanted to know if nymphs work under a clear bubble. thanx

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
I threw big orange stonefly patterns behind a bubble in the gunnison a while ago and it worked quite well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes, they work. The real issue is do they work as well as when a fly line/rod is used. While some might disagree, I'd say that they do not work as well but that doesn't mean that you won't get good results.

There are three issues with a nymph on a bubble: Splashdown, the sight of the bubble spooking the fish, and getting a drag-free drift.

Splashdown will certainly be larger with a bubble than with a fly line and strike indicator. It's the bubble that has to propel the line through the air on the cast, so it has to be relatively heavy to do so. Heavey bubble means lots of splash on landing. For fast water this isn't so much of an issue since you can cast further upstream (away from the fish) and the noise of the water will mask the splash. For quieter water you can rely on time to "un-spook" the fish-- leave it there long enough and the fish will forget about the splash. And if the fish are deep then the splash isn't as important. In some cases the splash will actually attract fish. So I'd call this a draw, or with a slight advantage to a fly rod.

The sight of the bubble could possibly spook the fish, but the effects are probably minimal. If you use a clear bubble then the visual impact of it couldn't be worse than some of these strike indicators that we use. I'm thinking in terms of the size and "depth" of the shadow that it produces.

Getting a good drift on a stream or river could be difficult. The main thing that makes this easier with a fly rod is the length of the rod (9 ft vs 6 ft, on average). I don't like using my 6 foot fly rod when nymphing because of this. If you can get a long spinning rod then you're probably just as fine with that as a fly rod.

My guess is that for most medium to large streams (and rivers) a fly and bubble will be almost as good as a fly rod-- assuming that you can cast in ways that drift isn't a problem. But for smaller streams drift is almost always difficult. Smaller streams have less casting room, so it's more difficult to cast further upstream to not spook them on splashdown. And smaller streams are usually more shallow, so the fish will be closer to the surface and have a better look at the bubble. So, I'd put a large benefit to the fly rod for small streams (but that doesn't mean that it won't work).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Same thing for a lake, but in a lake you're relying on the movement of the fish rather than the movement of the water to bring the fish and nymph together.

So cast out your line and let it sit for a little while so that any fish scared off by the splash forget it happened (30 seconds?). Then either leave it there and let the waves put some action into the nymph or slowly reel it in (steady or in spurts).

The main limitation with this over a fly rod is that you're limited to about 6 feet between the nymph and the bobber. Any more and it'll be hard to cast. With a fly rod you could easily go to 9 feet, and more is possible.

Flys/Nymphs on a bobber are one of the best ways to catch bluegill and similar sunfish. Set up a kid with a simple rod, bobber, and nymph and they will be busy for hours without the mess and hassle of worms. I've heard that it works well for trout, but I've always used a fly rod for that. Unless the nymphs are huge I doubt that it would work well for bass, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Wonmorefish

One thing you can do if you dont want to use a fly rod...buy a bunch of dime sized old fashioned plastic bobbers...if they are loose in a bin like they seem to be at fishing stores check each spring to make sure they work and have line clearance under where you hook it on...with these only about 1 in 4 do...they are manufactured poorly...now for the strange part...attach them to about a 3 foot piece of fishing line...and spray paint them with several coats of whatever color you want...enamel works better it is heavier...flat colors dry quicker...you can make them bright or blend in colors (I call them Stealth Bobbers)...the paint doubles their weight...with four pound test they cast nymphs on lakes and streams far without the bulk or splash...fish dont know they are there...sometimes the trout at Spinney shy from the bright orange ones...have seen too many strike indicators...it is when I pull out the black and green ones...hope that helps...I know it sounds whacked but it works...

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
I forgot,Wooly Buggers work real good with a bubble full of water.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I once saw a guy do a roll cast of 100'. It was quite amazing. When he did it, he also did a haul (as in, he pulled on the line with his other hand as he cast). I don't know what kind of line he was using, but I'd guess it was a 6 or 8 wt. It looked fairly easy to do, just a matter of practice, practice, and more practice. And speaking of practice, remember that the surface tension of the water is critical in a roll cast so you can't practice a good roll cast on grass. You need to be on a lake or river.

I figure that if that guy could do a 100' roll cast then I should be able to do a 50 to 70 foot cast with enough practice. With a 6 wt line and 9' rod I can roll cast a comfortable 40 feet. I don't think I've tried to go farther recently.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
It takes a heckuva lot more time and a heap more work to cast a fly line 100' than to simply flick a water bubble.The ability to cover water area is unlimited with the bubble.But which will work better? Aye,theres the rub!

·
Registered
163 Posts
SF, You're entirely correct in the case of a bubble+nymph. Of course you could cover even more water with some dynamite, but it makes catch and release more difficult. :)

I think where fly fishing really has an edge is when you're talking about dry flies with a delicate presentation. You can't gently set down a nice caddis or adams with a bubble. But then again, that's not the topic of this discussion...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
heck if you want distance from a flyrod you ought to try that spey casting they pitch it way out there and with trees (not sure on the leaves) behind them to boot if i could figure out how to cast a fly and bubble with out it getting all tangeld it would shure make it easyer to fish the high lakes and yeah the nymph worked slow can catch em quite good just look at what i caught at lily the only diff was my weight was bellow the fly instead of above and i think that probably killed some of the action vs having the fly loose behind the wieght

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
Try fingering the line before the bubble combo hits the water,it slows down the bubble and the fly straitens out before it hits the water.Less tangles!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I have been nailing the Trout in Lake Estes w/ a bubble, and a pheasant tail nymph (and doing fairly well w/ hare's ears) for the last month and a half. I can't cast a fly rod worth crap, but haven't had any problems w/ fly and bubble. I'm sure the splash makes em sketch, but if you wait, and then reel slowly it works.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Try fingering the line before the bubble combo hits the water,it slows down the bubble and the fly straitens out before it hits the water.Less tangles!
i tried that a few times had that same thought with no luck maybe just need to try that some more till i get the hang of it

thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
when doing a fly and bubble, how do you keep the bubble from moving? Do you just tie a knot around the bubble or use a stopper? I was doing some bubble and fly fishing today and to keep the bubble in one spot I just thread the line through, pulled it around and put it back through and tied a not but I dunno how effective that is. if fishing on a river that is no more then about 2 feet deep at points and barely moves how far would I need to seperate the fly from the bobber? ( this river being the poudre in fort collins)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i used to do that with the buble but i try to pin the line with a tooth pic thease days but some bubbles have to large a hole you could also use a stopper knot of dacron or dentalfloss and a beed kinda like a slipbobber setup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts