Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It was really cool to see up close. It absolutely looked prehistoric. I wish I would've taken a better picture of it's tail. Looked like a stegosaurus with its spikes on its tail.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
These guys all have it wrong. It is a proven scientific fact that they calm right down as soon as you gently pet them between their eyes.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It was massive. I would imagine it was probably older than I was!

Another reason I would have never made turtle soup out of him. Plus, I like to preserve something so cool, and I imagine rare in the metro area, for someone else to be able to see and experience.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
It was massive. I would imagine it was probably older than I was!

Another reason I would have never made turtle soup out of him. Plus, I like to preserve something so cool, and I imagine rare in the metro area, for someone else to be able to see and experience.
How big was the shell length if you had to guess?? May or may not be as old as you think. They can easily outlive humans but they can also reach relatively large sizes in only a few years. I know a guy that was able to raise one to over 20lbs in just a few years. They don't all grow that quickly though. I own a common snapping turtle myself, lives outside in a pond most the year and comes into my bathroom for the cold months >:D He is about the size as the turtle in the video, but much fatter. Thanks for not killing it Dallas, CO is not the state to be eating snapping turtles out of. Go down south for that ish :cool:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I suppose the question arises as to whether the snapping turtle falls into the catagory listed below...

All non-native tropical and subtropical species of turtles in the families:
Carettochelyidae (New Guinea softshell turtles)
Dermatemydidae (Central American river turtles)
Kinosternidae (mud and musk turtles)
Testudinidae (tortoises)
Trionychidae (soft-shelled turtles)
Red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta)

... and if it does, I apologize... got to be a friggin' lawyer to hunt/fish anymore!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I suppose the question arises as to whether the snapping turtle falls into the catagory listed below...

All non-native tropical and subtropical species of turtles in the families:
Carettochelyidae (New Guinea softshell turtles)
Dermatemydidae (Central American river turtles)
Kinosternidae (mud and musk turtles)
Testudinidae (tortoises)
Trionychidae (soft-shelled turtles)
Red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta)

... and if it does, I apologize... got to be a friggin' lawyer to hunt/fish anymore!

Nope, not even.
PAGE 2
Common snapping turtles (Chelydra serpentine) - Chapter 0, General Provisions, authorizes the live possession of common snapping turtles by any person.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The shell was easily 24"

The whole thing was huge. Felt like I was dragging a massive log off the bottom.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts