Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How 'bout this one? Thought we might have some fun with it.

List an athlete you think had the tools to be great (or greater) but never realized their potential. Doesn't even mean, necessarily, that they did not achieve some success -- but that even so you feel they fell well short of what they could have been. Or maybe they never even got a sniff at greatness, but should have.

Curious to see who some of our esteemed CF sports fans come up with.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ll start with one that I’m pretty confident would not have been mentioned by others:Riddick Bowe (boxer)

For those unfamiliar, Riddick “Big Daddy” Bowe was an undisputed heavyweight champion in the early 1990’s. He is best known for his trilogy of fights with Evander Holyfield (winning the first and third). In their first battle, Holyfield went down in the 11th – the first time Evander (whose chin was legendary) had done so. [BTW, by way of contrast, I have always viewed Holyfield as an overachiever.] At 6’5”, and with both quickness and power, Bowe should have gone on to become one of the game’s dominant big men. Instead he dissipated into a mere shell of his former self, with his discipline and work ethic always in question.

Here’s a clip of a fantastic round between Bowe & Holyfield (1st fight):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ooarvj6f_k

(Holyfield would go down in the next round, and Bowe won the unanimous decision and title.)

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I used to train at the Olympic Training Center in CO springs at the same time Riddick Bowe was there... He trained a bit there and always came for the national amature championship (not sure if they still have that in Springs, but it was great when they did)...

Anyhow, he was the nicest person you ever cared to meet... He ate with us some times and he was a very gentle soul... I swear he was just not meant to beat people up, I think that may have been much of his problem actually. It was very hard to see him make bad decisions and go down the way he did... He is a good man.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
ItsaBigun said:
i feel that tyson pissed away the chance to be the best boxer of all time. i was so dissapointed when he started scroding up :-\
I don't think Tyson pissed it away, I think he got beat and felt defeat... that got in his head, and he never made it back... he was undersized to begin with, and anyone with a great jab and good footwork was going to give him a tough fight...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
me too... I thought he would have been the best ever... was crazy how he went down... I'll never forget that night, watching that fight thinking, how the hell is this happening!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Marcus Dupree...incredible, incredible running back with OU back in the early 80's. I think a knee problem got him. He played alright with the New Orleans Breakers, but couldn't get into the NFL. What talent that really went to waste.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
hobiecat said:
ItsaBigun said:
i feel that tyson pissed away the chance to be the best boxer of all time. i was so dissapointed when he started scroding up :-\
I was never impressed with Tyson. Never took the time to learn his craft. He won through intimidation...beating most fighters before he ever entered the ring. It didn't work when he came up against a good fighter that had patience and the ability to withstand the initial Tyson onslaught.
Do you think that would have worked with tyson (learning his craft better?)... I kinda think he used what he had and maximized his success... He doesn't seem to be the brainiest dude... learning the craft may have been a stretch for him....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Bo Jackson.

No amount of learning his craft was going extend Tysons reach to compete with long jabbers like Lewis, Holyfield and Douglas. The only way way Tyson could beat guys like that was by getting inside and dropping bombs, which is a risky strategy. Still he won most of his fights because of his tenacity and his knockout power, which had in 3-4 punches with each hand! You can't teach that, and in his prime he was the best heavyweight I've ever seen.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
well i'll be dogged...
i agree with funk :eek:

yep, tough, tough guy. intimidation is part of the game... but biting a guys ear off is not... unless you're fighting for your life and losing ;)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i'm old enough too hobie :D
we'll never know i 'spose... would have been the fight of all time, frazer-tyson... my cheap arse might have even sprung for the pay-per-view for that one ;D

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oyey said:
... I'll never forget that night, watching that fight (Tyson vs. Douglas) thinking, how the hell is this happening!
Not to sidetrack my own thread, but ...

Ranks #1 on my list of personal favorite fights all-time, for a number of reasons. Here's the glorious way it ended, for those who haven't seen it in a while. (Glorious, that is, for no-name, no-chance Buster Douglass, who had recently lost his mother.) Two other things about it, if I may: 1) I love the call by Colonel Bob Sheridan (better than Lampley's, who I also like as a boxing commentator), and 2) If you've seen the full fight, you know this round was no fluke. I give Tyson 2 or at the most 3 rounds, all the rest to Douglas. Buster just went in that night unintimidated, and beat the 'invincible' Mike Tyson. A beautiful thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAMNaIDR1Y

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hobiecat said:
My favorite fight Hop was the Thrilla in Manilla.
A great fight, to be sure. This sounds cold-hearted on my part, but I thought Frazier's trainer, Eddie Fuch, should have let Joe fight that last round, as he so wanted. I felt the fight was still close, and Ali (if you'll remember) was so spent, I honestly think it's possible he wasn't going to get up off his stool (I think he was, but he was in total agony and collapsed right after the fight was called). There was a chance, just a chance, that Frazier -- whose will was second to none - might've landed a punch in that last round to win it. He had worked like a beast for that fight, and I think I would've let him give it his all for one last round. I would've stopped him if there were two or more left, though. JMO, I might be wrong.

Anyway, you're in great company, but believe it or not that fight doesn't quite make my own top 5. But two other Ali fights do: the first fight with Frazier is my #4, and the first fight with Leon Spinks (underrated in IMO, I thought Spinks was heroic) is my #5. Most wouldn't agree with me about Spinks-Ali I being rated that high, but I think some are holding Spinks' later self-destruction against him.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Gotta agree with Kurt2 about Dupree. He did make it to the nfl though, just never did much. His best preseason, he got cut and nobody picked him up. He did play one or two years though with the rams in the early 90's or so.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts