Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday 09/11/05 on some remote beaver ponds by the Big Blue Creek(Uncompaghre Wilderness)....

I found some ponds that were just saturated with plump colorful brookies. Nicely colored in full spawn colors (I think). I had my ultralight rig on me. Bright sunny skies.. Very clear water.. Too clear. Glass smooth water.. Not a ripple.

Tossed a fly (did not know what it was called, but it sure looked cool and costed me 2 bucks for two of em from Wal-Mart) with no weight on like 9 foot of line (had to slingshoot it to get it out). Not a even a look. Some swam up to it and came within inhaling distance and then retreated to the center of the pond, spookier than a bag of kittens. What'd I do wrong? Next, I caught some grasshoppers. Threw em on a # 8 hook. Caught like only two about 8 inches. The rest looked, but only gave a quick whiff and branched like a tree. Tried an earthworm, but they did the same.. Once again, what did I do wrong?

Tried the creek afterwards in pools of running water and they acted like regular brookies but the size of the fish were, of course, way smaller. Was I not hidden enough? I mean, I was in full camo? Very strange, yet fun and challenging (at the beaver pond). Overall I totalled in like 4 to fry and many too small to even pick my teeth with so I tossed em back.

So you fall trout champs (especially beaver pond seasoned fishermen)... Please help me troubleshoot the low hit rates. I recall earlier in the summer, my no weight & fly slingshot method worked like magic. This time, they spooked as they saw the fly, worm, or even grasshopper flyin overhead.

(Sigh)

It's been like forever since I posted. Til again,
1eyeReD,
Moderator,
Back from the Dead..

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
a couple times i have the brookies turn there noses at worms and hoppers only to have them inhale small spinners panthers and colorado styles maybe they wernt hungery but i was getting reaction strikes? not sure. have you tried any nymphs or buggers behind a float?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
1eyeReD said:
, spookier than a bag of kittens.
how spooky is that exactly ;)
sometimes brookies are really finicky and when I fish for them on fly rod I have to be pretty far away, then work the fly slow so your method of slingshotting a fly may not work on days like that.
When using crawlers I like using a floating jig head and about 1/4 to 1/2 a worm and cast and retrieve it slowly and the brookies usually hit it up.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
1eyered,

If you can see them they can see you. They are spooky spooky spooky in gin clear flat water. I think its fear from above - Kingfishers. At times you can't get a lure/fly/bait in the water - the small splash scares them. They also hear your foot steps - that goes for the stream as well. In ponds your best chance is early or late, Brookies often feed well after dark. Maybe someone else has a magic trick, I just go fish the stream during the day and come back to the pond just before dark.

Terre

F

·
0 Posts
alot of people dont do this but its well worth it ....always aproach and walk a stream from the same way the water is running ....trout always face the current if your walking against the current they see you way before you get a peek at them ....but walking with the current you have a shot at giving a presentation to a fish that doesnt know your there ....obviously this doesnt matter as much on big rivers ...but in small streams it really does make a difference

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

FG: Never had that cross my mind. I'll have to try that method.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Fishinguitars nailed...I can take it a step further from fishing Rocky Mountain National Park for brookies and browns...cast upstream like FG said...but make sure you fish the next pool from the head of the pool you are on...there usually is an abundance of fish in the tail of the the next pool...usually they are the little guys forced from the premo food stations in the pool...but if you step up to the tail you will scare them into the middle of the pool and scare all the fish in the pool...game over...and I know your father told you to be quiet during fishing but vocal sound waves dont enter the water...you can scream at fish all day and they wont hear it...step hard on the ground on a tail of a pool...they often feel that and game over too...use 4 pound line if spin fishing...and a size 5 floating rapala in rainbow or brown and cast upstream...be ready to reel and impart action as soon as it hits...I have pictures of brookies the same size as the Rapala...if a cast is difficult due to hanging branches most pools swirl and you can cast to the side in a swirling eddy and the current will take it to the head where you can begin a retrieve under the snag you didnt want to cast into...that has worked hugely for me...being able to float the lure where I wanted it before beginning the retrieve...they will hit size 7 Rapalas too...the other thing you never know what lurks in those small streams especially where there are browns...I have caught them to 4 pounds...when the Lawn Lake dam broke above Morraine Park in Rocky Mountain National Park and flooded Estes...the Rangers found dead browns due to siltation to 28 inches from those little meadow streams...and they werent from Lawn Lake...hope that helps...

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I have to type properly at work, so I rebel and don't do it here.  I can beat that one if you want. 

Methinks I have been moderated...I feel so dirty...brb...gotta shower! ;D

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I thought some things didnt need any more publicity...and felt bad!...

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
No run on sentences there...there are plenty of periods(...)...you just have to use your imagination...we all have our crosses to bear... :'(

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Three periods are good enough for hockey...makes them good enough for me...and my right ring finger has period turettes syndrome...a lot easier and quicker than mixing in spaces...

I now return this thread to the fall brook trout that it so richly deserves...

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Yeah Terre even the Brookies are miffed that they turn orange in the fall!

They are one of the most beautiful fish going...and tasty too!

You ever get any at Granby since that seems to be your home lake?

I thought I heard there were quite a few in Willow Creek Reservoir across the road...I always wondered if they were in Granby...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
zman said:
I have to type properly at work, so I rebel and don't do it here. I can beat that one if you want.

Methinks I have been moderated...I feel so dirty...brb...gotta shower! ;D
You moderated yourself? LOL...

You could go blind...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Zman,

I don't think I have caught a brookie in Granby though I have caught a few in the Colorado river between Granby and Grand Lake, so they must be in the lake. I do like Granby, probably my favorite Colorado Lake, its bigger with more options of where to fish.

Terre

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well Buddy,

You know how us HMONG do it. Run in there with your shorts on .. LOL just kiddin I dont its too cold for me. Well Ive only read a few before me but Ive always had a hard time catching them Brookies in them beaver ponds. Maybe they turned Vegaterians and only eat them moss at the bottom. But I dont know.. Them river stream brookies.. Have them in the book. Though I have not tried spinners or rooster tails.. WORMs are my favorite, pick em out of their holes along with their buddies hanging out.. I have notices the further you go and the more pools there are without fish... Well in there LURKs a Monster Brookie. Meaning a 20incher.. Just kiddin. I have caught 15-17 inch Brookies in them pools where no other Little Brookies were around. I guess during this time all them Brookies are just darn tired of the weather as well. NOT SURE MAN . SORRY NO SOLUTION.

Steve
-what was weird .. was that the other night I had a dream of DUCK HUNTING. I guess thats what brought the rain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts