Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did it. Got my 1st wiper of the year. 1st five wipers. Lost two others. Gat dammit, it felt good. Fished from 6:30am to about 9:00am. Waded while using a Gulp minnow on a Gamakatsu EWG hook. 1st wiper was 19 inches. The rest were either 16 or 17 inches. Wader had holes in it so I got all wet. Had to climb out of them then fished from shore with only boxers and a tank top. Hahhaha... Caught 3 while doing that. Actually saw em come in close and inhale my lure. Yes!!!

Rottal: I think I've matched the clousers!! I'll post the pics when I go develop my film. Til then, tight lines people!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm thinking on trying from shore this evening as well. Seems to be better/easier access to the south shore during this time of the year. Thanks for the update.
Brett

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out there is good, but I believe may be better for the evening. In the morning, water was warmer on the west side. I waded to the right of the inlet.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
1eyeReD said:
using a Gulp minnow on a Gamakatsu EWG hook.
You fish it weightless?
What color?
And how did you work it?

I went out there for the first time ever and would like to hit it again this sunday. Ill post my report from Sunday as soon as my brother sends me the pictures.

Thanx

-Jay

T

·
0 Posts
way to go.  why not throw a clouser on light spinning gear?

i'll be you looked like al bundy out there all wet in your boxers and tank top. 

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Gad to see one of you spinning guys matched the clousers....or at least got something that would catch a wiper, i was starting to wonder about you guys lol

clousers (in the water) have a slim profile and a rather erratic jerky type motion depending on the retrieve you incorperate. they are usually weighted, so they sink quickly..a lot of fish hit them when they are on the downfall. i use a short retrieve with mine---it makes about 9 or 10 inch "jerks" between each pause---and i let it sink on occasion to get it back down near the bottom. remember, retrieve and profile are more key than color as far as this pattern is concerned....try a small rapala, or perhaps another slim "glass minnow" looking lure...or as i mentioned earlier, a small (2 to 3 inch) soft plastic jerk bait or shad imitation with light weight.

so, 1eye, whats your magic lure that worked for you? am i close im my guessing what might work?

M

·
0 Posts
how long was the gulp minnow? I have some 3 inchers but ive also seen them 5 inches, but the longer ones look more like worms than minnows

·
Registered
603 Posts
I shore fished today in the eve of 4/19. I saw the pic of the Clouser posted on here so I made up a couple of lures out of plastics I have. Took a pic of one and will post when I can. Basically, I took and cut about 1.5 inches off a white senko and added the curley tail off a sliver Yamamoto grub. Married them together with super glue and a piece of toothpick. I used a 1/0 Gamu EWG hook,, (which I wont use next time due to I didnt like the way the lure kept sliding back when yo had to whip it to get it out there). Probably just use a regular Gamu hook with an offset.

The Senko gives it a little weight to cast and also creates a little faster fall so I could vary the retrieve ( slower) when I thought it was needed.

I cast it out, lit sink and jerked it back, varying the jerk with a sideways motion or a upward jerk motion, sometimes darting it forward, and somtimes raising it and letting it fall back like an injured minnow.

I caught my first wiper ( about 16-17 inches) on my third cast. Cought 3 more about the same size in the next 3 hours. Everybody I spoke with said it was alot slower than it was on Tuesday.

Dont be afraid to retrrive back to the rod tip, the first one actually hit as I was viewing the action of the lure.. about 4 feet of line in the water.

I will make up some more of these lures and modify them a little with some other ideas and report back.

Oh,, I talked to one flyfisherman,, he and his buddy each caught a 17 inch walleye...

Brett

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mustang said:
how long was the gulp minnow? I have some 3 inchers but ive also seen them 5 inches, but the longer ones look more like worms than minnows
Hey bud, I think either one should work. The 5 incher will probably get you more casting distance. But when I was out there, they were'nt really all about being far out there. Most of them hit between 5 and 3 ft of water.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rottal said:
Gad to see one of you spinning guys matched the clousers....or at least got something that would catch a wiper, i was starting to wonder about you guys  lol

clousers (in the water) have a slim profile and a rather erratic jerky type motion depending on the retrieve you incorperate.  they are usually weighted, so they sink quickly..a lot of fish hit them when they are on the downfall.  i use a short retrieve with mine---it makes about 9 or 10 inch "jerks" between each pause---and i let it sink on occasion to get it back down near the bottom.  remember, retrieve and profile are more key than color as far as this pattern is concerned....try a small rapala, or perhaps another slim "glass minnow" looking lure...or as i mentioned earlier, a small (2 to 3 inch) soft plastic  jerk bait or shad imitation with light weight.

so, 1eye, whats your magic lure that worked for you?  am i close im my guessing what might work?
You were close man, you were quite close. Once again, I'm thankful for your suggestions. I was thinking about the retrieve and profile too. I liked the weightlessness for the slow drop and when realing in, the action of the lure was totally convincing. Looked like a crippled minnow or shad just coasting along and twitching in pain.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Rottal and redeye i need help!!! When u guys going out i need some union wiper lessons lol. Rottal do u drive a 2500 green ram? Second time out this morning, right when i got there saw a guy catch one right away. He was fishing right at the inlet, asked him what he was using and he showed me i really tiny tube jig. So i thought to myself i can do this man i tried but no bite. I didnt really fish for that long cause it was pretty cold this morning. My father went out there around 12 he just got back and he caught one on the bottom using mussle. Said he lost one using a mussle also.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty soon, it'll be only mussells that they want. Trust me, they've got this weird feeding pattern at Union. It's like this at Bonny Reservoir too. At Sterling, from my experiences, they'll hit bottom fished crayfish tails or mussells or nightcrawlers 1st and then lures.

E

·
0 Posts
1eyeReD said:
Pretty soon, it'll be only mussells that they want. Trust me, they've got this weird feeding pattern at Union. It's like this at Bonny Reservoir too. At Sterling, from my experiences, they'll hit bottom fished crayfish tails or mussells or nightcrawlers 1st and then lures.
Tell me more about using mussells. I've never done this. How do you rig and where do you get them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grocery stores. Do trial and error on riggin it and you'll figure it out. Everybody has their own ways of rigging it. If the fish don't bite, I'll start a mini fire in a cut beer can and roast the damn things one by one instead. Bring salt with you. ;D Scallops work well too on the beer can mini grill.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Mussels is real simple to use. Just go to king soopers, in the frozen seafood section look for a bag of frozen mussels $4.99. When u decide to use them let them thaw out maybe an hour and a half or so. I like to cut it right down the middle and just use half of one. I also put the hook right through the middle of it to thats all there is to it. The only time i ever used mussels was at union and its still the only place i use mussle. Every other lake i fish for wipers i use crawdad tails with out the shell on them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts