Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 04:30 til 08:30.. Most of the 04:30 to 05:30 was just sleep. As the sun rose, the wipers were boiling here and there. Fished at the inlet. Little bit of current goin there. Water color was dark and visibility at about 1 ft to 2 ft. 1st bite didn't seem like a bite. Using Gulp Minnows again. Thought I got a snag, but then as my line tightened up, I set the hook. FISH!!! And then..... "Oh, sh*t, forgot to set the drag!" I tried to loosen it up as fast as I could, but not fast enough.

I had just finished fishing with a live minnow and bobber right before tying on the Gulp minnow and forgot to check the 6lb line for brittleness at the spot where I snapped on the split shot and at where the bobber was clipped on.

(WORD OF ADVICE TO EVERYONE): Mishaps with fishing line tends to happen when you are unaware of your line's condition.) - I should've cut it a lil above where the bobber was clipped and tied the Gulp minnow there instead...... And also should have remembered to set the drag :p

Ok, ok, I'll get to the point. The fish broke me off with a quickness. Retied and kept casting. About the 5th cast after retying, I was crouched down on a rock and just slowly twitching the Gulp lure back in and then BAM!!!!! ZZZZZZZZZ!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! Dude, this mofo hit my lure right as I was gonna lift my rod tip out of the water!! Questioned if it was a largemouth at 1st since it made a half-a$$ jump as it took off. This time, if I didn't have the drag on, the line would've probably snapped and whipped me in the face! Got her in about a minute and a half later and a lil 18 incher it was. After that..... It warmed up, the boils came to a hault and Patty Labelle sang at the top of her lungs.

Was going to keep the fish, but there was an old dude who didn't know how to fish too well with lures with two kids who seemed like they wanted it more than me so I just gave em the wiper.

Hope you all enjoyed the report. GET OUT THERE and catch em at the right time!!!! My good buddy Wiper_Stalker's proved a point. The more gas you burn and time you put in, you'll hit the jackpot eventually.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Checked it out online seperate entrace through the city of longmont? Will it ever join the state park system. The way I read that it's $10.00 per day for a boat and car. If I'm catching 20 inch wiper it would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stuccoman01 said:
I am trying to decide if I should go there tomarrow or pinewood
Do Pinewood if you aint got the patience to fish inside and out for them wipers. But if you're a wiper fanatic who'll be satisfied with just about 1 to a few wipers at the most, go to Union.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stuccoman01 said:
Eyered,
kids talked me into going to horsetooth leaving at 5 am.
Great! Post up your report when you get back. You're doing a great thing by lettin your kids talk you into stuff like that (in other words, goin by what they want). Soon they'll be as good a fisherman as you. If not, then better!

Yeah..... Now I could say that I'll school my pops fishing any day. He wont agree to that though :)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went again this morning 05/15/05. Fished from 05:30 til 06:30. It was slow, but them shad are still getting chased around. My partner by the nickname of (The Wall) caught one on a chartreuse jig beneath a bobber. That was just about it. Saw this one other cat catch a wiper too. It was funny cause both of them caught their fish at the same time and each of the guys were on opposite sides of the inlet. I'm guessing the fish all just chomp something on queue and then stop eating for the rest of the day or something.

We went to Pella Crossing afterwards. I caught a largemouth about 13 inches on a Yum Crawbug. There was a largemouth bedded like every 5 to 10 yards along the shoreline as you walk around. All not interested. Too busy with their sexual relations..... Then I got bored and tore a piece of plastic off of my jig about the size of a rice grain and poked a #8 hook through it for slaying bluegills. I forgot how fun those little buggers are.

Fun morning.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do you guys know if there is any walk in access (free) to Union, I drove around the other day and didn't find anywhere that looked doable. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts