Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many casts does it take to catch a wiper? apparently more than i cast today. I went out this afternoon despite the bright sun and calm winds and gave Union a try for the first time this year. I worked a 300 yard section of water on the south side just east of the dog beach, wading and covering water that was around 4-6 feet deep with a floating line and clousers. The water was warmer than i thought, in the mid to upper 50s, but very off color. i think it was churned up pretty good from either lots of people on the swim beaches or the large numbers of carp that seemed to be in the area spawning or feeding...and despite my attempts, i couldnt get out far enough to work the clearer water that was about 50 yards out where i thought some wipers might be holding. I fished downshore slowly, casting as i went, and then turned around and worked my way back to the beach areas...without a wiper. i did manage to hook a smallie (to my surprise, ive never seen one in Union before) and it gave a pretty good fight before finally coming in. I figured it would be slow given the time of day and bright conditions, but i didnt think i would end up not catching at least one wiper....oh well, no big deal ill try it again sometime. I did see one old man fishing with mussels that had 4 nice wipers on a stringer, but he said he caught them earlier that morning and hadnt hooked anything since...

Heres the smallmouth...taken with a one hand....

The same fish...Bob Clouser would be happy to know his flies work on Colorado smallmouth too ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Nice pics. At least it wasn't a total bust. I think I'm gonna try for some wiper on the fly tomorrow morning. Rottal I have a dumb question can you "lip" a wiper like you can bass?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, you can handle them the same way....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Were you in a float tube out there earlier?I was in a little boat by myself,and only caught 1 small wiper and 1 small trout.Oh well,thats fishin.

lyn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts