Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice.. Hot.. Muggy.. Lots o' bugs.. Very little action. From bout midnight to sunrise, did some bait dunking over a lantern that sounded like a mosquito trap "ZAP! ZAP!".... Caught & released a few undersized wipeys and a couple carp. As the sun came up a lil above the horizon, there were small boils all over the shoreline just about barely within casting distance. I tried, oh did I try. Zara puppies (topwater), Rat-L-Traps in smallest size avail, kastys and other hardware.... Even tried my trusty Gulp Minnows! No go. I'm assumin' because I had nothing that matches the baitfish size which is very teeny tiny. When they jumped while getting hammered from underneath, they looked like the size of feeder guppies from the pet shop.

Went back in the evening between 7pm & dark:thirtyish to give it another whirl. Same thing as in the morning. Very little action. My cousin caught a sad skinny 17 inch wiper on a crawdad tail while we were getting slaughtered by the moskeeterz. Again, small boils here and there, but not as much as morning. We were on the NW side past the pier and there was a pelican catching lots of fish... At least he had action. Went back and gave away the rest of our crayfish to some diehard anglers on the fishing pier and that was all she wrote. I'm willin to bet that the major boils is only a week or two away. I'm going to hook up my 6'6" rod with 6lb test and load up on some small topwater stuff. Hopefully, if I don't get into em, some of y'all will.

HAPPY FISHING,
1eyeReD

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You know, Union has been a rough place for me to catch fish in the summer...i usually fish it hard in spring and then again in fall, but every time i go in the July-August timeframe i just dont seem to do that well. its so hard to resist though---especially when its a nice calm, hot muggy night out and the moon is up. it also doesnt help that i can see it from my bedroom window. for some reason i always end up heading out there just so i can swear i wont go back again until the fall...

its a nice place to spend an evening though, its beats watching TV

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
nice report 1eye. Man you are dedicated to stay out there all night without much action! how far away is union from denver? I may be going to denver soon and want to catch a wiper.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Union is north of denver in the town of Longmont...its about 45 minutes depending on where you are at in Denver and if the traffic conditions cooperate....go straight north of I-25 and get off on the HWY 119 exit...from there its about 6 miles.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Hey 1eye,try a 1" or 2" white twister tail on a 4 ft leader with a water-filled bubble!The wipeys like it and you can cast the sh*t out of it! My bro lives in longmont and has success at union with this method.Later-

·
Registered
214 Posts
Man, I gave up on that lake since late May and you on the other hand are still at it. Much props to you, but I think i'll be going back soon. Last year was the same thing you described, lots of small boils, could barely reach them, and whatever I tried, no go! Won't be long until the big guns show up! They're in there.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep... You guys are all correct, this time of year is tough. I sorta knew it already, but had to get out to somewhere close. I have the same kind of experience with the lake as Rottal, fast action Spring and slow action Summer. Never fished it in fall tho, but I rarely fish in fall anyway. Thanks for the pointer, Slayer. Bigguns eh, Wiper_Stalker? Persistance, persistance, persistance (sigh).... For some reason, I find my mosquito bites beautiful. I'm heading out again soon.  :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts