Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Union 15 April 05

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  1eyered 
#1 ·
Fished again at Union this evening...the pressure was on though, i saw more people than usual wading the south side. i dont think ill hit it this weekend, i imagine its going to be a mad house if the weather improves and the water warms up. anyways, we caught a few nice ones...i hooked a lot of fish, but for some reason lost a lot...it seemed like someone told them all to run towards me so i couldnt keep a tight line so they could throw the hook. i lost 4 or 5 that way. same stuff as last night, small clousers and a medium strip....

conditions? colder..about 60 degrees and no wind...water was still in the lower 50s though. lots of people....

heres a pic of me with an average fish....

[attachment deleted by admin]

#3 ·
Hey just wanted to comment- nice pics! I am also impressed that you seem to catch such good multispecies off of a flyrod. Anyway just wanted to say nice pics...

#4 ·
lol..no, the only thing he consulted me on today was my poor double-haul casting ability....

next trip the hat goes in the lake...i can only tolerate one bad hat a year...

#5 ·
I must have the worst luke when I fly fish Union. I walked up and down that shore line, fished next to people getting fish, then next to people who were not getting fish. Threw six differnt wiper fly patterns, using the clouser the most and had one trout tape my fly.

Nice job on the fish, Next time I will just follow the funny hat to fish. ;D ;D

#7 ·
Ive never tried it, but im sure a clauser/bubble combo would work. i dont think you would get the same action though. honestly, a white or white/chartruese soft plastic might be a good thing to try. a light (or even unweighted) "zoom" worm or "fluke" type bait would work well im sure. just go small for now, 2 or 3 inches...and give it time to sink...ive caught them with this technique before, you just have to pay attention for the "bump" that signals a hit.

#10 ·
Rottal,

I was just wondering if you where out at the lake around this time today. My pops just called me and told me he talked to you, just making sure. He's a older vietnamese guy his name is minh. Its his day to fish today tommorows my day. Where do i go to learn how to fly fish i wanna catch wipers with a fly rod?

#11 ·
Nope, wasnt me..i was hanging with the girlfriend this afternoon, so he must have been talking to a look alike or perhaps one of my clones. i might go tomorrow though, perhaps around 3pm...if its too crowded ill probably go fish for bass somewhere.

lots of local flyshops offer lessons on flyfishing--- however my advice is find someone that flyfishes and just tag along. if you decide you like it then you can sink some money into gear..it would just suck to spend a lot getting set up just to find out you dont like it as much as you thought you would. if you do decide to pursue the sport be patient..and log plenty of hours on the lawn learning to cast properly. learning the proper knots and techniques prior to going out is also a good idea. trying to learn to flyfish on the river (or lake) is not the way to do it, you will just end up frustrated and hating it. once you learn to cast without hooking yourself or piling your line up every time then you should be ready to give the wipers a shot. if you are just going after trout, casting far isnt as important...but for lake fishing you have to be able to get it out and away from yourself to get it in the same zone as the fish. if you are patient, and dont give up its not hard to learn...just dont be the guy who thinks he can master it in a week...it will never happen. hell, ive been flyfishing for 20 years and i still am learing things all the time.

if you see me on the lake say hi and well talk about it more....

#12 ·
Thats weird because he asked the guy if he was on the internet and he said yea. He also told my pops he had caught 20 wipers the day before. That must mean u do have a clone lol. Well ill be out there today around 3 since i dont know how to fly ill throw my rat-l-trap and see what happens. I also have my bag of mussels see if that does the trick. Maybe ill see you out there.

#14 ·
Ive tried poppers later in the fall when they are hitting shad near the top...but ive had most of my luck subsurface. ive never tried too many bunny flies there before though...im sure a small white one with eyes might work...im a big fan of rabbit fur patterns...they are durable as hell and last forever....

#15 ·
Went to Union yesterday when it opened in the morning. Was using all kinds of different jigs with no luck. I also had my bottom rig set with a half a mussel. Got one ferocious bite. It almost took my pole! I had to run and get it, but I figured I didn't need to put too much "umph" into the hookset since the pole was bending pretty hard over the bench.

Boy was I wrong!! Gat dammit!! :mad: Felt the fish on for about 15 seconds then she just managed to spit the hook. Anyhow, that had to be a wiper. I just sucked on the hookset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.