Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...i didnt fish Union today, but i was driving home this evening and as i was heading around the bend i saw a guy loading some fish into his truck on a stringer...ok, 2 stringers. he had wipers galore. I guess its on...look out.

I hope people take it easy on the wipers this year....i hate seeing too many of them being hauled out, even if its legal. that guy had a whole load of fish, i only hope he was fishing with someone else since he had more than a limit...from what i thought i saw...

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
where abouts is Union? what kinda fish do they have there? sorry alot of questions :-\ what kinda lake structure is there?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres some limited cover on the east side...if you can get to it from a boat. for the most part though the lake is void of cover so its hard to pinpoint fish holding areas. wipers go where they want to anyways.....

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
Rottal said:
Theres some limited cover on the east side...if you can get to it from a boat.  for the most part though the lake is void of cover so its hard to pinpoint fish holding areas.  wipers go where they want to anyways.....
Very Cool!!! thanks for the info...now i need to time off from work to go check it out :( ::) >:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
As said just take it easy on the population, its a great wiper fishery but if all the small (legal) fish are harvasted there will be no larger one. Practice some caught and release at least so others can enjoy the fish too, they do not reprodce by themselves.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
gk said:
As said just take it easy on the population, its a great wiper fishery but if all the small (legal) fish are harvasted there will be no larger one. Practice some caught and release at least so others can enjoy the fish too, they do not reprodce by themselves.
not a problem...i don't eat fish that often

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Dude i think this lake is going to get outfished. Because there are people that are waiting early in the morning for the gates to open and cause its not to far to drive. I hope i can catch atleast one before the massacre begins.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does get hit very hard...and people do keep a load of fish there. i hear people also complain about how they dont catch many wipers much over 15 inches...or how theres no "big fish"....sheesh, i wonder why...a body of water can handle only so much pressure before its fish population suffers. im not even taking into consideration the people that keep over their limit, i know it happens there quite a bit when no one is around to stop them. poachers suck.

I think the fishing..well i go ahead and say i know the fishing there could be much much better if they put a slot limit in effect and maybe considered reducing the overall creel limit. 15 wipers is a lot of fish to be taking out of there when you have so many people fishing for them. im not saying everything should be catch and release (i wish it was though sometimes in more bodies of water ;) ) it just gets old seeing places that used to be good go to the pot from overpressure and too generous possession limits.

hmmm...come too think of it....sounds kind of like the walleye deal at Chatfield. maybe they could use a slot limit also.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wow fifteen is a alot of fish. I have not fished for wiper much at all and did not realize that was the bag limit. As as far as chatfield they now have a slot limit as does alot of the other res's only one over 21 inches.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chatfiend has a slot? cool...how long has that been in effect?

I hear a lot of the same complaints as far as fish size..."almost all the walleyes we caught were 17.9 inches".... i wonder what is the true percentage there as far as measurement?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get frustrated too with people taking fish out like that. Especially fish that don't reproduce. But it goes both ways. People pay their money for a license to fish and keep fish, and then they pay again to get in the gate ($12/day now at union for a boat and car! EVen if you spent loads on State Parks or County Parks passes) How much can $12 buy in fish? I'd think if I had to support my family on fish, I'd take out whatever I was allowed after paying these fees. Since I don't have to, I always have to remind myself to think of those that do and how hard it'd be, and how much more I'd be pissed having to pay different fees to different lakes after purchasing my fishing license.

That being said, I don't even know what the limit is for many lakes since I don't take fish out. How hard would it be to put a 3-fish limit (or something relative to the cost for fishing there) on certain species like that? The DOW owes it to people to let them take fish because most of the license buyers are out to bring home dinner. I wish they would put a little more merit in the fishing-for-sport market...more C&R, more flies&lures only, more limits.

Union does not have a lot of cover/structure, it is your typical bowl lake where the slightest bump on the bottom might draw fish. If you look hard enough you'll find some. But like Rottal said, the wiper go where they want to, so you could find them anywhere. Supposedly there are tiger muskie in there too and I've seen fleeting signs that maybe that's true.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
They started that walleye slot at quite a few or the res's this year. At chatfield you can still keep the same bag limit of fish between 18-21 inches but only one over 21 inches.

In regards to Union can you put motor boats on it? Are there any special restrictions such as no wake or anything?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The limit of wipers is not 15 fish it is 10 fish with a minium size limit of 15 inches.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If, Colorado was smart they would manage the wiper population seperate from the white bass population. The two species are easy to tell the difference from each other just looking at the toungh patch. In Kanasas the aveage wiper run 5 pounds and over twenty inches ;D ;D. Here in COlorado because DOW can't manage a wiper population porperly, we suffer with an average size wiper of 16 iches and only 1.5-2 pounds. In Kansas the legal limit for wiper is two fish a day, not allow people to over fish the popuation, unlike Colorado with a too high of limit of ten ot twenty fish a day :mad: :'( :'(, depending where you are.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gk said:
The limit of wipers is not 15 fish it is 10 fish with a minium size limit of 15 inches.
I thought it was 15 fish...i was trying to find out for sure today what the limit was (i thought it was 15 for some reason), but no one has it posted online as far as regulations for Union. my bad.

well 10 fish is better than 15...and if that is the case ive seen alot of people with more than thier limit then on stringers. 10 fish is still over generous i think. that place gets alot of pressure---today i drove by and it was like going to Walmart for the day-after-Christmas sale...there were people galore on the south side. i think ill wait for a weekday until i try it...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, you can put a motor boat on Union but it is no wake. Run a north-south line from the dock to the house on the north side and you will find the wipers. Does anyone ever catch any crappie there?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts