Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i tried...we hit it at 4pm, high winds and all. talked to a few guys and no one was hooking up....one guy caught one at 9am, but was fishing all day and didnt get another hit since. apparently the day before was really killer, right as the storm was blowing in...go figure. well anyways, we waded and worked our way down from the dog beach all the way east as far as you are allowed. with the wind and all i tried to locate a mud line, or anything that looked like it might have baitfish blowing up against it. we finally found an area on the east side against some brush that was looking pretty good, but it was deep and hard to get to. my buddy cast a few times after wading out to about 4 feet deep, he hooked up on a BIG wiper that worked him over pretty good and then threw him off in the brush just as he was about to land it. all i succeeded in doing was wading out even deeper, and then a whitecap went over the top of my waders and pretty much gave me a dose of the "soggy crotch" syndrome...oh well, thats not the first time thats happened, and definately isnt the last time....we fished that area for awhile longer, but had no other hookups. the water temp was good, upper 50s, and it was sunny and bright with a crazy wind coming out of the north west (i have to say my least favorite conditions) all i can conclude was the fish moved to deeper water for now, but they will come back...im trying it again tomorrow, this time with another pair of dry waders. i fished white and chartruese and white clousers, and saw other guys throwing everyhting in the book at them...i just dont think they were on that side today in force. better luck tomorrow i hope...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I was waitin for your post... Tough luck. The occasional skunk stinks. Good luck to you tomorrow, bud. I was thinking of goin' out in the morning before work, but laundry, women issues and maybe.. More women issues will keep me away from my peace. Anyway... How BIG do you think that wiper was? The one that threw off your buddy..

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Dang u got skunked!!! I thought i was the only one that knew how to get skunked out there lol. Good luck next time i know im going to need it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh im used to the occasional skunk out there..so its not a new stink, im well acustomed to it lol

Im not sure how big the wiper was...the usual ones out there so far rarely exceed 20 inches, this one looked pretty decent from what little i saw of it...24 perhaps...and fat. by buddy said its the biggest ones hes hooked out there at Union as of yet, and weve fished there for awhile. from what ive seen, big wipers (over 5lbs) are not too common in Union..or perhaps i just never seem to catch them out there. anyone seen anything bigger than come from Union?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
In the old days, I saw an old guy out there with these gigantic 12 ft rods out there bottom fishing the side that you like to fish and he had a pretty fat wiper about 24 to 27 inches on his stringer. That was all he had though. Guy was night fishing with crayfish tails in early summer. That was like when I was on the loose and buckwild in my highschool years. Never saw anything like that at Union since.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good, i dont feel so bad now for only catching the occasional 20 incher....yeah, ive seen the guys bait fishing slay some wipers out there thats for sure...

ive caught some nice ones at barr lake...few and far between though...while fishing for cats. Don Broeren seems to hook up with some big ones in the past....i myself have never caught one over 5 lbs.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Rottal

Give Aurora a try in May when they start running the length of the dam...I would like to hear how that Clouser Minnow works out there...I have caught them to 11 pounds...the biggest in our group out there has been 13-9...I lost one at the net after fighting him for 45 minutes on 4 pound line that would of went 15 or 16 pounds...the hook pulled out on the third pass by the net...I am sure they have to be pushing 20 pounds this year...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Ey u can fish over night at union? I thought it was closed at night.  Rottal have u ever tried catching wip ers on the dam at aurora res? Man u definately would catch one over 5 lbs there.  You see them going in big schools really close to the dam there also but everytime i try to throw my lure and them they scatter.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
zman u read my mind i was writing when you posted. How did u catch them? Man i saw i guy snag one about 3 years ago it was pretty big, im thinking the whole school is that size.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
HookNLine said:
Ey u can fish over night at union? I thought it was closed at night.  Rottal have u ever tried catching wip ers on the dam at aurora res? Man u definately would catch one over 5 lbs there.  You see them going in big schools really close to the dam there also but everytime i try to throw my lure and them they scatter.
I think later in the season, it's not a problem to fish over night. It starts in like early May or something. Unless that has changed. It shouldn't have changed though because the people who are too lazy to go far out of town to camp go camping there. But like I said that place should open up to overnight stuff in May.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well apparently Aurora is the place to go then....ill have to give it a try, i work in those parts so ill hit it one morning or eve. ..too bad you cant fish there at night though, from what i hear. you can fish Union at night, i live right next to it and usually go out there several times a week in the summer just to see what people are catching....

yeah, a 10 lb wiper on a flyrod would make my year...ill make that my next goal....

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Its a lil far but Lake Mcgonaughy in Nebraska has some of the best wiper fishing i have ever enjoyed. You can catch a ton of fat wipers. When i have a chance to go to kinkos im going to post my trophy stripper i caught there in 2000. It was only 30lbs.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Hook n Line...I have caught them on jigs and plugs...but most of my damage has been with leeches...I am going to put some 6 to 8 inch live minnows in their flight plan this year...also it helps if you sit and stay low...they are so shallow along the dam and the water is so clear...you can watch them from above and they speed up when they get to people that are standing...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Rottal, Is that you two guys with the tan baskets that you use to strip line in? Then an older guy came and met you yesterday in the wind stormat 4ish? And a few days ago you saw a spin fisherman catch a wiper and talked about not having a measuring device and to mark the poles?
Brett

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, once again that wasnt me....i talked to those guys though, two came all the way from wyoming to catch a wiper with his other friend, but didnt hook up yesterday.....that sucks....but they are trying again today, so hopefully someone hooks something...

ok, since this is the third time ive been asked "is that you?" heres a photo of what i look like...minus the trout, which i dont usually carry around all the time.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
603 Posts
http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/parks/park_list/overview/union.htm

Basically it is on east of countly line road between 17th to the north and and 119 to the south. There is a sign that points to the oiled gravel road that it is on. The lake is open right now from 6am-8pm. There is a daily fee for a car and a boat. I think it is $5.00 each. If you go on a weekend, it's gets a little crowded so get your spot early and be prepared for some emproachment.
Good luck,
Brett

E

·
0 Posts
Dude, you OUGHT to carry that rout around with you!

You'd certainly get more attention!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts