Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished for about two hours starting at noon on the southeast area past the beach. Didn't get a water temp, but it's well above 50 degrees. Sunny, 70s, water was kind of murky brown. Started fishing a jig, but no luck, so switched to my 8 wt fly rod and a chartreuse and white Clouser. Caught and released three wipers, 15", 15" and 17". Hooked another one that broke my 8 lb. tippet.

Wipers were caught close to shore in 3 to 4 feet of water. Perfect for fly roddin'.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
At a minimum i would go with a 6 weight, and preferable a 7 or 8. you will get fish in faster and they will cast weighted flies a lot better than a light rod.

however...if a 4 wt is all i had im not saying i wouldnt fish it....

·
Registered
702 Posts
Union is located east of Longmont south of Hwy. 66 and north of Hwy. 119 off of Weld Co. Rd. 1. The reservoir is well posted so follow the sighns east off of Co Rd. 1

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
good to know someone is hooking some wiper around home.  I was in town for a few days and fished my neiborhood pinery lake in Parker for some hybrids and NOTHING!!! Water was about the temp where typically I  begin to hook atleast a few.  I don't know though, since they made it public last year I saw a lot of wiper leaving on stringers. I have fished that lake as long as I have been alive and can't say in the last five years that I have ever been out on two consecutive days to get skunked there.  I might be having to learn union if this pattern of catch and take persists. 

·
Registered
988 Posts
I was there on 4/18/06 and did really well using crayfish. There were 2 guys next to us using Cluaser Minnows that caught some wipers also. How do you guys fly fish in winds that hard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fished a couple spots from the bank today (4/20). No bites and only saw one fisherman withany fish. Very calm and slightly off color. Watched some of the boats and they seemed to be having the same luck.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow this lake is really getting the pressure. I was out there for a few hours in a boat and it was as busy on a Thursday as it used to be a 4-5 years ago on a holiday weekend!.

I took a friend out who seldom gets on a boat and when I do that I like to let them decide where to go( so the rest is not MY fault) .. haha.. Anyway, for a guy who is limited to the bank, "the other side" is always intriguing. We spent most of our time on the eastern and northern sides of the lake, drifting worms or muscles under a bobber, or dragging the bottom with the same no luck, We also trolled at a 6-10ft contour with oppurtunity baits like small minnows and plugs to attract either trout or wiper. We did have a few hits but nothing hooked solid.

On the way back, we graphed the majority of the fish but they were suspended (5-18) ft in deeper (12-20)ft water but they did sem to be "feeding and active".

Water temp varied from 55 to 59 in the north shallows. Clarity was stained.

As stated above, I did not see much action either on shore or in boats. I didn't talk to anybody so no first hand reports from others

If you go out this weekend, the best item to bring.. Patience.... I think due to the crowds you'll need it, But I think the fishing will be good startin today ( based on my casual observations and reading here on how things work out after a small cold snap.)

Good luck and leave a few for me next middle of the week.

If you see a short middle aged guy with an old tracker V17 pulled by a tan 1988 blazer.
Say hi!.

Brett

·
Registered
640 Posts
Fished Union last night till they booted us. I was one of the boats that had the same luck. Tried a ton of different stuff. Mostly looking for Walleye, but went away with nothing. Talked to one guy who got a small rainbow, but that was about it. Might try it a bit more once they lift the 8:00 gate closing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
a boat is def the way to go at Union,
not enough "legal" shore access for comftable fishing
once the warm weather sets in .
couple years ago I was fishing just east of the swim area
two ladies came by and with attitude said "hey you cant fish here
this is the doggie park area" as one dog was chewing my back pack and the other trying to figure out what was in my tackle box .
i can imagine how it is now with all the growth east of Longmont.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Boat fishing is getting rough also now.... Last year there were so many sail boats it was crazy. They started a Sailing Club there and believe me there are alot of them just learning. They cut right in front of you and take your lines out from behind. Had it happen several times last year. Kind of a pain. I guess we will see what happens this year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I fishing populas has trippled over the past three years. They took fishing area away to provide a sand launch (briliant, huh). Longmont controls two farms on the north side of the union, I don't think they are still in operation, and won't open the shore acces to the public. Longmont plans to double the size of the resevoir, but is about ten years down the line. The plan was proposed in the 1980 and was apose to only take ten years. Longmont need to gain control of all land around the resevoir to fill it, but the local farmers are holding on. Just think of all the great fishing structure that would be flooded.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Now that is new info to me...i had no idea they were planning on expanding the lake. cool, thats just more water for me to fish....and as long as no one loses thier property in doing so i have no issues with it.

Ive been checking out the lake on a daily basis since last week...and its still getting hit pretty hard on the north side. evenings are the worst, so you might want to plan your trip there accordingly to avoid the mad house if you plan on going...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Fished it Friday with little luck anchored up on the north side of the lake in 10 ft. of water day's tally was 1 3# catfish. Side note to the expantion when I was buying my yearly pass the ranger said the lake is now staying open year round just not for boating it will still close like usual.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts