Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOT!

Got there about 5:30 pm.. Not much fishermen there.. Hit the inlet first. Used mussel and worm. Tons of shad/minnows and huge carp up against the shore. Not a single bite.

Decided to hit the beach. Got set up and of course forgot the chairs. Head back to the car. Came back my GF said there was a bite(she was messin' with me, as always). Sat there for approx. 45 mins. NADA!

Spoke to a fellow fisherman that fished west of the Dog Beach. He said he used zaraspooks & mussel and didn't get a single bite.

That #### #####' sucks! :mad:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did you try any other baits? cutbait, live perch, waterdogs? Sometimes a cat will check out a bait and won't want it. If the bait is alive, it make provoke the cat to strike and try to kill it. Cats can be mean. How about rig options? Did you try floating, or try floating a bait midway in the water column? Sometimes these little things can make a difference.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I had was mussels and worms. I was not prepared. It was @ the spur of the moment trip, because I got off work early.

I usually use crawdads on the bottom w/ a slip sinker.

I was tryin' to hook up with some wipers(obviously it didn't happen) :mad:. I would've been happy catching a carp...

Thanks for the tip.

It's hard for me to make time to fish...

I might as well give up on fishing. I can't even catch a "Dan or ZMAN" size fish.

I think I need to invest in a boat! Either shore fishing sucks or I can't fish for ####!

Maybe hire a guide?

HNL?? Fisher32?? Don B.??

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it makes you feel better i was out on a boat trolling from7am to 10am with out a bite!!!I saw a few fish caught on the beach area though.Also there was a guy fishin the inlet area that caught a 30" cat and a couple wipers.Should have stayed at the inlet.Im going to get some mussels and try that from my little boat.The pics at the pay station dont lie,there are some very nice cats and wipers being caught.Just be patient,your time will come!

lyn

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hey Tony,

Well its been a while since Ive been on here. No reports from me .. But I guess from what im reading .. everyone is catching fish early in the morning. Maybe you should plan an earlier trip. But im glad that you got out. Wish I wasnt soo lazy and caught up playing Ball.. Well until then have fun and see you around man.

steve

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the guy throwing the zara spooks and using mussells was me ....small world ....Im gonna try to get there early tommorow morning and see if the morning is a better bite ....can anyone post a picture of the mussells they use ....yesterday I bought a pack of new zeland green shelled mussell meat ...Im not sure if this is what the wipers are biting on or not .....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was funny FG...
Right after you left... I told my GF, that guy looks like he goes on the ColoradoFisherman.com. New Zealand mussels is correct. As long as you don't buy the ones with galic sauce on them. I got mine from SuperWalmart.

Steve- Work has tied up my schedule as always. I wish I can make it there early and if I do get a day off,(weekends only) I usually sleep in.

Lynn- The inlet does look a little more promising yesterday. It's just from experience that I catch more fish @ the beach than the inlet. I might hit it up this weekend, early in the morning.

This year has been a ###### year all around. I haven't caught a single wiper in Colorado.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was tempted to walk all the way to that little building past the dog beach . Has anyone fished over there ?I havent caught one wiper in colorado this year either . For some reason I just cant seem to figure them out which really hurts they old ego cause everything you read about them talks about how they are crazy carnivours and will eat just about anything . Union looks like the perfect place to launch a small boat

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never gone passed a few hundred yards of the dog beach, but heard it was more shallow on that end.

·
Registered
988 Posts
There's alot of weeds over by that house. Looks like good it would be good crappie habitat if it were deeper.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah FISHINGGUITARS .. that side is shallow and weedy. Not worth the walk. Im not sure of the mussels that we use. Some are in shells and some are in an Orange Bag. Thats all that I can think of off my head. Maybe someone would know more specific. Ive seen guys in little hand propelled crafts go to that side of the RES while I was there at that little house. I dont think they got much but weeds. Im not sure but it seemed as they were jiggin for Bass / Walleye / Crappie or something. Working them coves over there, But they too were skunked.

Steve
-Man we'll see how BIG GAME goes. If no luck i'll hit up the little streams for Brookies.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I went out there this morning with another guy we caught 5 wipers. 2 of them still had diapers on. Alot of people on the beach, it was a slow morning for everyone. One guy there caught a catfish by the inlet, he said it was good size. He wanted me to go to his car and look at his fish, but i never got to it.

I hate using mussels. It flys off the hook so easy. Everytime a small fish mess with my bait i pull it up it check and the bait is gone. Do the mussels with the shell stay on better than the ones that dont? Crawdads are #1.

LOL dont get frustrated guys. Union is a tough lake for me too. I remember early in the year when Rottal and all the fly fishermens were catching them like crazy. I went out there and caught a cold.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not bad-  At least you caught 5...

I used the ones in the shell.  It falls off easy.  I use them whole and hook em' three times(stays on a little better).

Did you catch them on mussels or crawdads HNL?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crawdads work really well out there. If you ahve trouble keeping the mussels on the hook then go to your local Hobby Lobby, get two yards of nylon mesh, cut them into squares, fold the squares in half, staple the edges of the mesh to form a bag, stuff them full of mussels, and staple the top. Then all you ahve to do is put your hook through the bag.

·
Registered
988 Posts
All you have to do is hook it through the tough part twice. Use them in halfs, rubbery side gets used. If you hook it rite it should stay on for them long range cast.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Mussels where outfishing crawdads 10 to 1 when I was there Monday. If you have a boat try the North part of the lake in 8 to 12 ft. of water. We always do real well over there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts