Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Burrrrr.. Kinda chilly this morning. Took the boat out this morning. Fished from 05:45 til 08:30. About 5 minutes after launching, I told my cousin/partner to drop whatever he wants and we'll do some trolling. He casted a small grey Rat-L-Trap behind the boat while I had the Minn Kota on FORWARD 2. Before his slack was even straightened out by the forward motion of the boat he set the hook already. I was like "wha?"

Got it in and it was a wiper round 13 to 15 inches (roughly guessing). Too small for the "eyeball" so we didn't even measure and let it go.  Usually, a confirmed keeper when "eyeballing" the length, always turns up to be around 17 inches on the tape. Went to the East side of the lake and I dropped crawlers down on my shore/bottom fishing rig during the troll. Caught two fat "Union stocker holdovers" that were about 18" to 19" each. Kept both of them. My ignorant arse wasn't paying attention while fiddling with sonar and they both were hooked deep. My partner caught a small 10 inch stocker on the same Rat-L-Trap.

Drifted for a while in 28 ft of water with crawler half way to bottom. This time, I caught a wiper roughly between 13 and 14 inches. "Bye, lil guy.. See you next year."

Summary: Total fish caught: 2 medium/large trout (kept), 2 undersized wipeys (released), 1 tiny trout (released). Most fish caught in 18 to 24 ft of water with the last wiper as the exception. Cold drizzly morning. Water warmer to the touch on eastern side of lake. Marked many unwilling fish. Inlet running.. More people than wildlife.. Will post pics on this thread once developed.

Tight lines,
1eyeReD

·
Registered
270 Posts
At least you got out. there were only 2 rigs in the parking lot today at jackson me and some other (I'll be nice here). I told the kids we're in luck this week, last week all we got was wind, this week we got it all cold wet and wind. Ran the electric batteries down to 45% in the wind and was using the kicker for power. Had a good day on the water posted pic's in lynmac's thread. Glad you caught fish.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wiper_stalker said:
You didn't try crayfish tails 1eye?
Naw..... I don't have much time to go out and catch em so I usually resort to wasting $5 on mussells that I usually end up tossing half the bag.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HookNLine said:
red guy you ever do any good night fishing at union?
Sometimes it's quite good. On night trips, I usually pull right up to the shore (2nd spot w/bench past the inlet) and set up lantern there. I usually just dunk bait there and pull my rods all the way up to my windows where I sit in the car and wait. Sometimes, it'll be dead all night until 1st light though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1eyeRed, just where is the inlet at Union. Is it on the Northwest corner?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
srwiz said:
1eyeRed, just where is the inlet at Union. Is it on the Northwest corner?
The west side, actually. As soon as you drive into the park. Take the left and you'll drive right over it. That lil inlet is not too noticable when water is not running. It's a ditch that comes into the lake. It fishes quite well if they turn it on sometimes.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
The top picture...caught by NoEyeRed...

·
Registered
405 Posts
1eye,

NICE! Do you find that you can do just as well on the mussels vs. the crawdads, and have you ever tried raw shrimp for the Wipers?

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pete said:
1eye,

NICE! Do you find that you can do just as well on the mussels vs. the crawdads, and have you ever tried raw shrimp for the Wipers?

Pete
It depends.. Some days, both crawdads and mussels work well side by side. Some days (and most times) they'll only want either/or. As for shrimp, I haven't had much luck on them, but then again, I haven't used them much either. I know some folks who love using shrimp as an alternative though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts