Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  My brother in laws and I hit up Union today and it was a good one....Two of us limited out and one was shy by 1....what a day....they started about 1:00pm and ended about 3:00pm hitting on almost every single cast....... 1 1/8 oz. jigs was what we used....didn't matter what color....All fish ranged from 16-18 inches...I was really thinking about changing my name to walleye stalker because all i've been catching this year is walleye until today!!...
  The run has begun...well, actually they started a few weeks ago but today was a real hitter....Hey, as long as I hear three drags singing for two hours....I don't care how cold it is, i'll be there....also, we lost a lot of fish when it was biting like crazy....I think our hooks might have been too small....anyways, here are some pics...enjoy!!
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=4smick
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=4smikp
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=4smiyc
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=4szfrb

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Wow, thats a load of wipers man.....leave some for the rest of us ....

good job....

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Word!

They don't call him WIPER STALKER for no reason!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Thats hardcore, I'm gald you were hooking up cause if I had to put that much clothes on and didnt catch anything I'd be pissed. :p

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kokaneeking said:
hey , i was wondering were to fish union for wiper, i heard the inlet is good but i never fished union ?
i recommend the left side of the boat ramp... or the beach.... those are my favorites...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Rottal said:
Wow, thats a load of wipers man.....leave some for the rest of us ....

good job....
Yes please leave some for the rest of us! Nice fish, wish i was in your shoes yesterday.!

Dan

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Damnnnnnnnnnnnn. Man i bow down to you. Good job. Dont worry people theres plenty of fish for every one. Im bout to leave in about an hour see if i can hit the jackpot.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
You know, speaking of leaving some for the rest of everybody else.... I spoke to a DOW officer on that one day that I went to Jackson. He measured our fish and he also took counts of everybody's total catch. He says they do an estimate on how many fish are caught throughout a season and then they'll get the population to catch up accordingly. Quite interesting, to know this if ya ask me. He says just this year or was it last year(?) they stocked half a million wipers into Jackson and they usually do that for each lake that has wipers and not only wipers, they do it with other warmwater fish. I dunno, I don't remember the conversation word for word, but I'm guessing they do that every to every couple of years. I remember the park ranger at Bonny told me and my pops about how they stock that place almost yearly. I'd imagine they do that at Union too because I've been fishing Union for half a decade now since I started to drive and seen tons and tons of fish pulled from the lake to where even I started feeling a little worried, but I still mark a crap load of em on sonar.

Shoo, for as much as that little park (Union) charges for vehicle AND boat, they better be stocking it as much as possible. I'm sure they do though. Cause every year right around June to near July there, we always run into the schools of little 9 to 10 inch wipers... And then you'll have the schools of wipers that run between exactly 12 to 14 inches.. The ones we're catching this year are probably the 12 to 14 inchers from last year. And as for the ones that were of size (16 to 20 inches) that haven't yet been caught last year(??) Well, let's hope someone gets to post a pic of one of those, this season.

HAPPY FISHING EVERYBODY!!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i was at union today but dident catch anything , i tryed the pier down to the inlet, then from the boat ramp to the swim beach, i just sucked today, maybe someday ill catch a wiper there

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
-K- I got bored and just called the park right now. I'm surprised... They picked up on a Sunay. Anyway, I started asking all kinds of dumb questions. I asked for water temperature and she replied "50 degrees on the 29th". I then asked has she seen any fish pulled, she replied "I've heard stories about wipers on tube jigs."

I asked about stocking of wipers. She said they stocked seventy thousand last year in June!! And then she also threw in the part "we also just recently stocked it with rainbows on the 4th of April." Kinda cool eh? That's like, just the friendliest service you can ever get at an outdoor recreation park. She was really nice.

Call for yourself if ya want. Here's the phone# 303-772-1265

Here's the site: http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/parks/park_list/overview/union.htm

Hehe.... I'm trying to catch up with Epic on being full of useless info. I'm about a tenth of the way there, man.

HAPPY FISHING!!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
1eyered, i was wondering what is the best month for wipers at union ? , i never knew that there was muskie in union but this guy was telling me they have been stocking muskie in there for 10 years

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
kokaneeking said:
1eyered, i was wondering what is the best month for wipers at union ? , i never knew that there was muskie in union but this guy was telling me they have been stocking muskie in there for 10 years
Best time for wipers..... I don't think there is really a 'best' month. There may be a few. Generally speaking, I'd say May and probably one of the fall months like September or October would be good. Those fall months are best times for topwater action. One dude I know who knows a sh*tload about wipers would be Wiper_Stalker. This cat knows his stuff.

WIPER_STALKER :

Eh dawg, what's your input on this question?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
kokaneeking said:
Muskies eh? I never knew either. Never seen one come outta there so I probably wont believe it til I see it. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't be surprised if someone confirms that. If this is so, well.. The merrier the situation!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts