Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Union today for the first time.Nice little lake ,not many features..but it has wipers in it and I had the fever. I got there at 7:30 am and was the second boat on the lake and the water temp when I launched was 54 degrees. I started right off the ramp pulling taildancers and chrome rattle traps after running the whole east side of the res I though I would drift the deep areas with shinners...no takers 10am, 11am, 12noon... I talked to a guy in small boat heading in and he only caught 1 trout on a spinner  with a worm. By now there were 8 boats on the res and not much action. The only area that I had not tried was the westside out by some farm houses. I saw 2 boats working that area earlier and at this piont I was ready for a change. Now I was pulling a small rattle trap and a white grub. I was trolling in a Z pattern and pulling out all the trolling tricks I knew.. pause... gun...left right........ then it happened  the white grub started to burn some drag. WIPER! The pay off for hard fishing. In the next hour I landed 8 wipers some just under 15" fat. I took a picture of the first fish and released all the fish. When I left the water temp was 58 and I was sunburned.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've got Union on my mind for next wednesday. thanks for the good, detailed report. Thanks for getting your bait in the picture also. I have some of those.

M

·
0 Posts
I would go to nion this weekend...if i didnt have to take the SAT!!!! I'll gert there, nice fish

·
Registered
603 Posts
I hit Union yesterday  afternoon from 5-7:30pm last night, Wading on the South side with spinning gear. I caught one, released it right at my feet ;). It looked like a keeper and maybe a little larger than 17 inches. It was caught on one of the pre-packaged soft plastic storm lures that looks like a baitfish. They already have a treble hook attached. I found a link to something similar. I may have to get more, I liked the action , castability etc of this little lure. http://www.stormlures.com/whatsnew/index.html  ( the top one is similar)
   I did this after overhearing a fly fisherman say he got one on a smaller blue clouser, The lure I used was  the only thing I had with Blue in it. I had one other started on a white/black sparkle Yamamoto jig with a small split shot about 2 inches in front of it.

The water was flat calm, and seemed to be warming up. I got my bites when a breeze would start, When it was flat,,, nothing. I talked to one other fisherman who had nothing all afternoon.
   Seems to be getting closer to getting back to where it was before the snows.   Should start to pop any day now.

Brett

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anybody tried White and Chartreuse colored lures. Most of the clousers I hear people fishing with there are that color combo.

h

1 - 8 of 8 Posts