Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stop by this morning for a little quicky. Caught 8 cats ranging from 5-12 lbs. The shads are running and these guys are all over the place. Saw some baby wiper boils but could'nt get one. Any how the cats were keeping me entertained from 6-8 am. The park hours now are 6am-8pm.

Well I'm back to work.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using crayfish tails on the bottom. "Location" You just have to go to figure it out. I think giving the lake name and bait is more information than what the guys here usually post. It's a small lake, I'm sure you can find them. Look for the bait fish and you'll find the cats and wipers.

Any one want to share hotspots rite now? Wipers, Cats, and ??????e. Not you H&L as for you already know.

F

·
0 Posts
hahaha...good point fisher do you peel the shell of the crawdad tails or use the hole tail........

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I fish from my boat I use them whole (crushed head & claws removed) and sometimes peel them. But from shore I just peel the tails.

It's been good action there for the last 2 weeks, so you better get out there. I exspect the fishing to slow down with the cold front we're getting tomorrow. This should push the shad deeper is my theory. Any day now the wipers should start their fall feeding frenzy. I'll be waiting. Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks Fisher32,i'll have to get out there soon.As for hot spots,i could tell you about some super hot wiper action, but I think you already know about it!Thanks again for the info!

lyn

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lynmack said:
Thanks Fisher32,i'll have to get out there soon.As for hot spots,i could tell you about some super hot wiper action, but I think you already know about it!Thanks again for the info!

lyn

Out east rite.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ya,Hook & Line took me.Wasn't as hot of a bite as you guys but for a first year wiper fisher it was awsome.Thinking about doing it again pretty soon.Later

lyn

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
there goes another "i caught some cats at union" report....man, i will keep trying, but havnt caught one yet...im cat less as of yet out there...

C

·
0 Posts
I'm going out tomorrow after a dr's appt. Hopefully I can have that good of luck!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys should'nt have any problems catching cats rite now unless the cold front moves them. I'm going again tonight.

Lyn did we not go together that day in my boat or was that someone else?

C

·
0 Posts
I'll be out fishing at Union if that cold front moves in. I always do good in the summer when a cold front rolls through.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went back last night after work and caught a few more. All around 5 lbs.

F

·
0 Posts
damn ....im gonna have to go up there ...I was gonna go last night but ended up staying home

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some guy next to me last night caught a 12lber also that the ranger took a pic of. My buddy was there to that caught 2 wipers and a cat, and some other folks that were there all day had a stringer full of wipers. Them cats and wipers are'nt in the same hole so choose one or the other.

I was using crayfish and mussles. Seemed like the wipers were more into the mussles though. I did'nt catch any wipers but the guys that did used that bait. I was aiming more towards them cats anyway.

C

·
0 Posts
I went out to Union today and stayed for three hours. My wife and I caught our limits of cats, the smallest being 6 lbs. The biggest was a 14lb monster my wife caught, her biggest cat to date! We switched over to wipers and bass when we caught our limit (My wife loves wiper and bass more than cats!) She caught 4 wiper all being 15-18" and weighing around 6 lbs. I caught once about big enough for bait! She caught 2 bass about 15", while I got skunked in this department. That happens when you wife is a better bass/wiper fisherman then you are!

·
Registered
833 Posts
What did you use on the wipers?
Does the cold front drive them down at Union?
Sounds like you have the cats dialed in.
Hammer

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice job catman. Them fish should hold for the time being. A 10+ lb cat is very common rite now in there. Again good job. Take advatage while it's hot or else your going to be sorry. Gain that fishing confident back for Union Res. ;D LOL

C

·
0 Posts
I was actually using a muskie rig for the wipers. I tied on a white bucktail with a red feather and attached a white twister with a red dot of paint on the very tip. All you have to do it cast and reel it in and you should get them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts