Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Union

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  rottal 
#1 ·
Found some wipers at Union...fished for 2 hours or so and landed quite a few while wading about chest deep. The water was around 50 degrees, so the fish were sort of sluggish and thier hits were not as aggressive as usual...all i noticed was my line would stop when i was stripping, instead of the usual "slam!" wipers are famous for. Most of the fish were caught on white Clousers, size 8...small stuff, but they didnt seem to want anything bigger today. they also hit the white more than the chartruese for some reason. most of my wiper patterns are chartruese and white, so i had to dig for some plain white ones in the darkest most unused corners of my flyboxes. try a medium-to-slow strip if you are flyfishing, and move around until you find them.

heres one..a self taken picture of an average fish from today....if you look at the corner of its mouth you will see the clouser.

oh yeah...i also caught a trout...a whopping 10 inches, it looked like it was right off the hatchery truck....

[attachment deleted by admin]

#5 ·
Yes, and so it begins!

Rottal,

Were the fish hitting just below the surface or were you stripping along the bottom?  Did the bite turn on at any particular time of day? I think I'll be heading to Union on Sunday as well.

Nice pic!

Pete

#7 ·
With all you guys going on Sunday, I'm going to hit it on Saturday!!! Just kidding, I planned on going Saturday before Rot's report...
Going to be trolling so will give a detailed report when I get back. I will be in an OLD,OLD STAMAS deep-V, chocolate brown in color with a 969 (?) on the back.
Probably will start with some crankbaits then go to a bottom bouncer with crawlers on for the eyes. I have my honey hole for the eyes and will give an honest report if they are biting. Not that I would give an unhonest report if they weren't ;)
Wish me luck!

#8 ·
lol, i knew that last report would get some people out there. im heading back out today in about an hour to see if anything is on the feed again...i caught 8 or 10 yesterday, and missed about as many from thier soft hits. im taking a buddy out there today so if it works as it usually does we wont catch anything--- it seems like every time i tell him the fishings hot we get back out and dont catch anything...

as far as how i caught them...nothing was on the surface. i was fishing a few feet down with a medium speed retrieve. move around until you locate an area where you get hits, and then stay there..the fish will be back through. try smaller flies (or lures) instead of the usual aggressive wiper stuff. sunday is suppose to be warmer, so who knows...the fishing could be better. bring a thermometer, look for that magical 52 degrees or warmer.

and to answer ieyeReD...no i didnt keep any. if i want fish to eat King Soopers is right around the corner.....im too lazy to clean any fish...unless its a walleye...then all bets are off....

#10 ·
Made a late start today. Got on the water around 10:00. The fishing was great. The catching was a little slow. Caught two small bows on a red/green lipless crank. Slow trolling at about 2.4 MPH. Let them go to see another day. This was all the way on the North end of the lake. Found the west end to be the warmest surface temp. 58 degrees around 2:30. Had a couple good, solid hits there on a firetiger lipless crank. I'm sure it was small wipers because I caught a glimps of a few chasing something on the surface. Tried a bottom bouncer with a crawler harness that proved to be non productive. A couple more days like today and the bite will be excellent.

#11 ·
I envy the Union Reservoir flyfishermen.

I try to get my spin fishing as close to what they're doing as possible and still... The fish laugh at me. I think to myself "ok, he's wading and catchin em on this clouser thing so I'll wade and toss out some jigs and I'll probably do just as well.."

Guess what? HELL NAW!!

White jigs, chartreuse jigs, with pink jig heads, with no color jig heads, yellow jig heads, jigs retrieved slowly suspended 3 1/2 ft beneath a weighted bobber, without the bobber, rattle-traps, small red and yellow jigs, brown jigs, yellow jigs, small husky jerks, you name it... They just won't bite! This is embarrasing, dammit!

Maybe the almighty fishing gods are punishing me for talking too much sh*t to my friends about how much better of a fisherman I am. I really am good though ::) It's just that, apparently, Union Reservoir doesn't agree with my so-called skills.

Anyhow, just venting and whining about my defeat.

Note to the Union Reservoir flyfishermen: You people make me wanna kick myself sometimes for not learning the art.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.