Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the boat on Union today thinking that I might get into some of the nice trout that made it through the winter.  I trolled for three hours without a hit and did not see many fish on the fishfinder.  I may try again in a couple of weeks as it seems there is no in-between for me there.  I either do well or get a big skunk.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I went out there yesterday for my gas motor maiden voyage,guess what,it wouldn't start :'(.Messed with it for awhile and finally gave up.Everybody that I talked too said that it was very slow.I was stoked because the wind was blowing pretty good,but after the reports i felt a little better.At least they gave me a raincheck,so after i get my motor fixed(maybe a month :mad:)I'll be back out trolling for wipers.

lyn

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water temp. was 52. People on the bank weren't doing much good either, although one of them told me that last weekend the bait fishing from the bank had been good.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hit union yesterday in my boat from 1:30-4:00. Caught two 12-13 inch rainbow trolling around the lake using a wedding ring with a Rapala on a 2 foot leader. I graphed a few fish but nothing in what I would call schools yet. I found the water temp to be from 52-55 degrees with the warmer water on the North( shallower) side of the lake. There were a ton of large carp cruising over on that side as well.
I did see a nice trout ( maybe 3-4 lbs) caught from the shore between the dog beach and the swim beach by a lady. She was pretty darn excited!. It looked like they also had some other fish on a stinger.
The lady at the entrance station said that the wiper were starting to become more active, But as typical on that lake, it can vary greatly from one day to the next.

Side note, A friend of mine did well on trout last week from the west shore using cut up muscles.

Brett

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brett, I've seen those carp pods before and if you cast around them you might find wiper...I think they cruise around the carp and pick off goodies that get stirred up by their nosing around in the mud. I haven't been back to Union since early March but eager to get back. Water temps were way too low then, but last year the wiper were fairly active even in late Feb.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Whaler, Thanks for the tip!. I'll give that a try next time I encounter the carp:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
We were just looking for wiper at pueblo on Thursday and found carp busting all around in the brush in the inlet...thought they were wiper at first. When we finally determined they were carp I figured maybe I ought to succumb and try to get one on the fly. I threw on a lead-head olive/brown rubber-tailed bugger type fly (I have no idea what it's called), figuring it looked a bit like a crawdad. I spotted one carp and had a good idea of his direction, placed a cast about 5 feet in front of it, started stripping slowly, and BAM! 6.5 pounder on a 6 wt was a blast. So long answer for "crayfish". They eat shad and nymphs too. Barry Reynolds has a good book on fly fishing for carp...my next favorite thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts