Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

University of Colorado Graduate Students Need Fishing Help

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Mckeown 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm looking for members of the fishing community who wouldn't mind talking to University of Colorado Graduate students. My team needs a few people who know something about Marketing and the Industry for a hypothetical product for our class. Please let me know if you would be interested helping. We only need a few minutes of your time for a conversation.

If you're interested please contact me with your contact information: patrickcashley@gmail.com

Thanks for your help!

#4 · (Edited)
Below is the general information that my team is looking for. If you can answer what you know that would be great. You don't have to answer every question.

This is driven for people in the market and industry vs direct costumer. Costumer survey comes later and I will post a formal survey for that.

Product Need
a. Do you think Fisherman get frustrated with not knowing the depth of their lure?
b. What are the current methods that you know of for solving this problem? Pros Cons?
o VALUE PROPOSITION - Putting lures where the fish are.
c. Intended for trolling. We have a hypothetical product idea that is a lure fish finder combo. Each lure can detect a myriad of conditions including water temperature, depth, location, etc. The lure transmits the information back up to the fish finder so you know water conditions and where your lure is in comparison to the fish. The Fish finder is also social networked so you can see where other have been catching fish, with what lure in what water conditions.
e. As someone in the market, would customers want this product?

Market
a. In General, what trends are going on in the market?
b. Is the market growing?
c. Are there other trends in the market you’re seeing?
d. How might a product like this be sold?
e. How are other devices sold? Is it changing?
f. What other markets would this be attractive to?
g. What are adjacent markets?
h. Who else would you recommend talking to?

What other things should we know about market that we may have overlooked here?

General Questions
What is your role in Marketing or Industry? (I.E. Job title company)

Thank you in advance for your help!

#5 ·
IMO it is not a practical idea. i already know the depth my lure is and know the water temp there. it would have to be cheep, under 10.00 where i troll i loose anywhere from 2 to 8 lures per day. so it would be of no use to me. i can see where on big water that has fish suspended high in the water column it could be of use. as for social networking, no way am i telling that info to any others exacpet a very few of my closest friends and then only on a need to know. already there are products out there that can answer most of the questions you are asking

#6 ·
Why would it have to be a lure? Why not just an add-on probe to the fish finder? Then you wouldn't have to worry about loosing it.

Social networking - no. Not in fishing. This is about as maximally social as fishermen get. And we sure as hell aren't broadcasting about the depths/temps where we caught fish.

#8 · (Edited)
You'd be better off promoting an app that calculates the depth at which various crankbaits run based upon the particular crankbait or lure used while trolling, length of line from rod to the lure, line test ,any inline weights used, their placement, and boat speed.

This would allow you to sell your product to any and all anglers that troll..rather than trying to produce a product that few ..if any ..would buy. The app could be applied to most major brands of lures already being sold in the marketplace ..kinda like a precision trolling app..rather than a precision trolling book.

For example..How deep is a 5 inch Flicker Shad running with a 100 feet of 12lb test line out at 2 mph...with a 150 feet of 12 lb test line at 1.7 mph..etc

Of course, if produced, I'd expect a 5% royalty off of every unit sold..

#9 · (Edited)
Here's just a bit of the info that could be had at your finger tips..

https://www.google.com/search?q=sha...s.cfm%2F99993%2FFlicker-Shad-Depth%2F;600;231

You could also add a virtual simulator that would utilize the GPS in your phone. When you enter Flicker Shad, line length, line test etc..a virtual Flicker Shad would appear on a virtual depth screen on your phone..As you speed up, or slow down, the Flicker Shad would rise or fall on the screen allowing you to see the depth of your virtual lure rather than relying on having to read the information and then applying it.

It could also give you lure choices..Say you're marking fish at 15 feet. You put in depth and line test and it gives you a choice of lures and the speed each needs to be trolled in order to reach that depth..you can then choose from those lures.

I would think most lure manufacturers would love to have their lures placed on the app and would help with any information that they could provide..Nothing like free advertising.

#11 ·
the running depth of your lure isn't as critical as most belive. your lure calls the fish to it. if the fish is hungry it will come from a long way to get your lure and if it isn't hungry you can bump it on the nose and it won't bite. anything attached to your line runs the risk of getting lost, so the cost would have to be low.

right now the newest fishfinders can look back and see lures a little way back, it wont be long before they will be able to see lures anywhere uo to a couple of hundred feet back.

much more important is knowing you have the right lure for the fish you are after. all lures go up and down while trolling, but if the fish are going to bite they will even if the depth changes. as for me i know the lures i use work very well and i know they are in the bite zone, if the fish bite, good if not. i will get them another day

#13 ·
1) I seldom troll...its like watching paint dry...it does have its moments when nothing else will work but it has to be pretty bleak on all other fronts...

2) I dont have a smart phone...too big and clobbery...and fragile...I would go thru 2 a month...

3) I dont need an app to tell me how deep my lure is running in the rare event I troll...there is a depth on the box...I write it on the belly of the lure and I check by running my boat at the prescribed speed over the depth I want and see if it makes bottom contact and I file that away for future applications...

4) So nope a rare gadget I wouldnt be interested in...

#14 · (Edited)
I disagree with both the older fellas (sorry Hobie/Seeker/Z, but it had to be said that way)...I think that advanced fishermen who are seasoned and know how to use the current technologies may not see the appeal of a product like this, however it may be the next thing that hooks fisherman. That is the idea, right? I mean, fish don't have dough! haha..

Simply put, if this product could be made at a reasonable price (and an app that communicates with the lure/finder is brilliant) where you could have a line of lures that communicate with a fish finder or phone, I think you could really sell a lot of units.

Sure advanced fisherman know the depth (well, they know pretty close (see what I did there)). But the water temp changes in different depths, and a 1.5' depth difference could be a 2 degree temp difference (rare, sure, but possible). But I could go on and on with potential reasons something like this could help catch fish...the most important being precise data feedback in real time and patterning fish using that precision.

Lastly, I think that the potential of an idea like this to lead to hundreds of others is unreal. The bridge between technology and fishing is one that is limited right now... this idea has the potential to do just that and appeal to the younger generation who will ultimately "cheat" with technology!

#17 ·
Not disagreeing Jason, just not a tool I would use and I have most of the newest technology...afraid spot lock and other ipilot features are going to render my boat control abilities a thing of the past...not a bad thing...much like Bill gates creating a whole generation of people that cant spell...not a bad thing but not a good thing always either...but I could see it being used and maybe widely used...and I do disagree with some of the old guy statements...I know of a night walleye trolling bite where the pattern will probably be 6/6.5/7.0/7.5 feet for the night for larger than normal eyes...whatever the depth is for the night they wont chase...they will want all lures at that depth and wont move up or down...so yes it will help catch fish...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.