Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at used snowmobiles for ice fishing and I was wondering how people get their sleds off of their trailers without reverse? Do you put them in neutral and push them? I have a 4 x8 trailer that tilts and I'm wondering if I can save a few bucks by buying a sled without reverse.

Adam

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes you can drag your machine off the trailer, it's a pain in the butt however it can be done. I try to drag the back end off to one side so the front can slide off sideways and head off into the frozen promised land. ;D

·
Registered
499 Posts
No reverse means u have to drag em off. My machine has reverse with no gear box. Mine stalls the engine then restarts the engine in reverse. Ski Doo calls it RER.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The best ice fishing sled has reverse and electric start just saying some things are worth having, I pull right into my garage and then back out, a mid 2000 600 polaris with reverse and electric start is very affordable and user friendly.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
I have seen someone rev the snowmobile while simultaneously holding the brake....then when the RPMS get high enough, releasing the brake and "jumping" of the back of the trailer.

She is much braver than I - I don't recommend this method unless there is snow on the ground and your a professional ;D

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
Adam, hobie's post is the same way I explained to you the 1st time, and even make a pole stand for underneath the front so it doesn't slam down hard. Talk to Andyrm66, he says he will have some left over material to install bedrunners to protect trailer floor from the skis. If you need help let me know and I'll give you a hand with both!!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Install a good hitch and clevis. You can then winch your sled backward [come-along] onto the trailer so you can just drive off.

Takes just a few minutes, but works well.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
A tilt trailer is nice for unloading. You have to look for an appropriate parking spot for your rig. Pull the hitch pin, tip trailer back and pull the snowmobile back until the treads hit the ground then hop in your truck and pull the trailer forward a few feet and snowmobile is unloaded, ready to rock. My next snowmobile will have reverse and an electric starter! :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's not a show stopper but if u can afford reverse and electric start I'd look for a sled that has both. IMO

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go for the electric start and reverse if reasonably possible. The tilt trailer that I have works such that I drive on and drive off. No reverse necessary, but then I did some of my own welding and craft work.

Took a regular 8x8 trailer and extended the tongue four feet by replacing the factory steel with a heaver gauge square tube. Added a wood ramp system that doubles as a salt shield and as a double bonus just fits my fishing clam. Now I fit two snowmobiles and my Voyager Clam on the trailer. It works like a dream. Total cost was like $150 for the wood and steel.

Pulling a sled off a 'just tilting' trailer really sucks if your back is bad or a person was older.

Drive on drive off trailer or reverse is pleasure fishing with a snowmobile.

·
Registered
146 Posts
albow said:
A tilt trailer is nice for unloading. You have to look for an appropriate parking spot for your rig. Pull the hitch pin, tip trailer back and pull the snowmobile back until the treads hit the ground then hop in your truck and pull the trailer forward a few feet and snowmobile is unloaded, ready to rock. My next snowmobile will have reverse and an electric starter if I can help it! :)
Yea, this is how ya do it. Read no more. lol

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
checkers8 said:
It's not a show stopper but if u can afford reverse and electric start I'd look for a sled that has both. IMO
I totally second you there. Dad had to drag all his sleds off the trailer (all early to mid 70's pull starts) when I was growing up. Still have no idea how he did that.

I about freaked when I found out that newer sleds have both electric start and reverse. It's like getting a 30 speed full tilt mountain bike to replace your old piece of junk banana bike. Yeah, you have to pay for it, but wouldn't you prefer to pay cash than deal with a bad back and lots of frustration? ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I take a rope with a hook on each end. Attach one hook to the back of the snowmobile and the other to a tree, post, or someone elses truck(if they let you) and drive slowly forward and my sled drops right off my trailer. You have to go real slow because the skis will turn on you and you'll have to go back and realign them unless someone is on the sled.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Buy one with reverse, youll thank me later. As for the one sliding off that easy, the trailer in the video has trackmat/carbide glides. Can do roughly the same thing with an old bed linner. Which I should prob go get before its gone!!LOL

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
ditto on slayer, bought a ride on ride off , best investment for ice fishing I have made since I bought a Jiffy 15 years ago. U can ride on with hut attached, disconnect hut , swing around and load sled. sweet. That video is of that sled sliding off is certainly a sales pitch, never seen a sled slide with the touch of a finger, I would guess it was warmed up and the belt removed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts