Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening! I stumbled across this forum when reading through the unending amounts of reading material on fishing in Colorado. If is refreshing to have so much information, as it is the reverse of the streams here in the Driftless area here in the Midwest. I am used to the small streams here in Iowa and Wisconsin, but am hoping to spend some significant time chasing trout in your endless streams and rivers.

I consider myself to be an intermediate fly fisherman, so I am looking for some areas that may not be too challenging to get my feet wet. Growing up, I learned to fly fish a couple of times out in the Grandby/Grand Lake/Fraser area. I will be in Denver for 3 weeks for training at the Allstate office in Lone Tree.

I would love some suggestions or pointers on some places that can be reached for some evening fishing closer to Denver (I will be done at 5:00 PM each night), and maybe some areas I can get away to on the weekend. Planning on bringing my camping gear for the weekends and getting away from the city.

I am sure you folks get this a lot from out of staters, so if a PM is better feel free. Happy to repay any help with beers or dinner while I am in the area. I am a catch and release fisherman when it comes to trout, and leave the environment as good (often times better as I tend to pick up after others!). Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'd get as far away from Denver as you can if you want some peace and quiet while fishing. Some of the most popular spots close to Denver are deckers, 11-mile canyon, and clear creek.

I'd go further west though, especially if you want to camp and fish. There are some great options.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Not true. Old ladies love me.

Plus, my dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd get as far away from Denver as you can if you want some peace and quiet while fishing. Some of the most popular spots close to Denver are deckers, 11-mile canyon, and clear creek.

I'd go further west though, especially if you want to camp and fish. There are some great options.
Yeah, I was hoping to take some longer trips on the weekend. Hoping that some of these are close enough to get out at night. Much appreciated on the suggestions!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I seemed to have lost my love life somewhere. Maybe i'll look for it someday.

Nah!......... I'd rather go fishing. ;D

·
Registered
216 Posts
From Lone Tree, take a short drive west on C-470 to Wadsworth and head south to Waterton Canyon just past Chatfield State Park. It is an easily doable evening trip. All foot traffic (or bicycle) in the canyon. First 3 miles are bait waters and the last 3 miles are fly or lures only. Pretty canyon, not bad fishing, and possibility of seeing bighorn sheep...up close!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From Lone Tree, take a short drive west on C-470 to Wadsworth and head south to Waterton Canyon just past Chatfield State Park. It is an easily doable evening trip. All foot traffic (or bicycle) in the canyon. First 3 miles are bait waters and the last 3 miles are fly or lures only. Pretty canyon, not bad fishing, and possibility of seeing bighorn sheep...up close!
Thanks for advice, I will certainly give this stretch a try!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts