Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the upper river last week and it was awesome! Started at Vallie Bridge, went to Rincon, and kept moving west from there. Pulled some very nice browns in the 17 inch class, plus one toad of a rainbow!

[
]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Looks great, can I ask what you were using? How cold was the water?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fly fished the upper river and used a scary creation of mine called a Dark Prince. The water was cold enough to numb your legs through two pairs of thermals and waders, but not unbearably cold. This trip was during good weather a week ago, before this current front hit. Air temps were in the mid 60s. I would tell you where it was exactly, but some secrets are meant to be kept!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The Ark fishes about the same in all its sections, just have to locate the fish. So any information is good. Thanks. Nice fish again.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Epic - You're right. With over 1300 fish per mile, finding fish isn't too difficult on the Arkansas. Use the town of Cotopaxi as the epicenter and fish anything within 50 miles - you'll catch fish!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Do you guys think its to cold up by Buena and stick to the lower sections this time of year.. A few summers ago I fished just south of town and did really good but it was summer.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
For some reason when the water is really cold, by Canon City (where I mostly fish the Ark) I do pretty well on streamers.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as there are no ice bergs floating down the river, the area up near Buena Vista should be fishing good. It's gonna be dicey over the next week or so because they got hammered by snow and it was cold up there last week. If you want to catch numbers of fish, start at Parkdale, which is just west of Canon, and move up from there. There's a ton of access all along the river - just pay attention to the signs. Mid morning bites are generally best in the canyon at this time of year because it takes a while for the sun to hit the water and for things to start moving around.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I will be somewhere on the Ark by Salida on Friday, hopefully I can do as good as you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts