Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my girl drove the 4WD road to Pomeroy lake this weekend... the wrong weekend lots of people in the area for the holiday weekend, only about 6 people made it upto the lake. The trail isnt super hard, but there are alot of rocks and some steep inclines 25% grade right before the end of the trail. Its intimidating if you are in a stock jeep but very do able, I used my stock cherokee. Roadkill you'd like these lakes, Pomeroy is at 12,035ft and Upper Pomeroy is at 12,250ft. I'm sure on a non holiday weekend you'd have the lakes to yourself.
I didnt get a ton of fishing in as a couple different fronts rolled through and the fish weren't hitting the surface like they were on Saturday... the day we got there setup and didnt fish. The wind also had alot to do with it, when the wind would stop and the sun would peek out from the sky I would get a hit. I had 2 large cut throats break me off.. my leader seemed to be very brittle, maybe because of the water tempature... there was still snow up there. Anyways back to the fish, I landed 3 Cut throats and 1 Cutbow. All were landed on royal wuffs, I only had 4 and after losing 2 to fish and breaking the other 2 off on back casts I tried every fly in my case and didnt get any more hits the rest of the time there. I switched to spinning gear and tossed out a kastmaster and Thomas Bouyant with no luck either. Sadly I didnt get my grayling, the reason I went to the lake but I will try to get back up there on a better weather day.

Upper Pomeroy is all the way over by the snow... Pomeroy is right off to the left.

Still in spawning colors.

Another little guy.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh here's a couple shots of the trail.

One of the steeper parts.

On the way down.

All alone at night.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice, how much of a hike from where you can park from the pic it didnt look to steep. how long on the jeep trail?

i bet it got a little chilly at night up there

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadkill said:
nice, how much of a hike from where you can park from the pic it didnt look to steep. how long on the jeep trail?

i bet it got a little chilly at night up there
Well the info I got said it was 1/2 mile... To my out of shape self carrying that full ruck it felt like it was longer then that. The walk drops in elevation and backup not super steep but steep enough to make you relieze its there... The walk back is much better.
The Jeep trail is only 2.5 miles but will take over an hour to do if you go straight threw... If you stop at all the kewl old mines and old buildings to take pictures, like this one:

It will take a couple hours. Its a pretty drive and lots of kewl old mining stuff also St. Elmo (ghost town) is right at the start of the road that leads to the trail.
It dipped pretty low into the 30's atleast last night, once the wind died down it was alot better.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
did you see the 1884 grave site i heard it was on the main trail i had also heard the remains of the old Mary Murphy Gold Mine was on the main trail and that there are many side trails to explore

it is amazing what a few thousand ft will do too you you were well over double your normal alttitude right i cand do pretty good up to 10,500 even 11,000 without much dificulty but over that i really know im up there and i live at 8,000

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
roadkill said:
did you see the 1884 grave site i heard it was on the main trail i had also heard the remains of the old Mary Murphy Gold Mine was on the main trail and that there are many side trails to explore

it is amazing what a few thousand ft will do too you you were well over double your normal alttitude right i cand do pretty good up to 10,500 even 11,000 without much dificulty but over that i really know im up there and i live at 8,000
Yeah we did see the grave site dates were 1857-1884

And we stopped at a bunch of different mines that were on the trail including the Mary Murphy mine, which had the most stuff on it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thats a well marked grave for being by its self did it say who was in there?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
roadkill said:
thats a well marked grave for being by its self did it say who was in there?
It probably did at one time but i couldnt read it if it did.

·
Registered
16,685 Posts
Love those high lakes,nice fish! I didnt know those mines had such excellent scenery!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SLAYERFISH said:
Love those high lakes,nice fish! I didnt know those mines had such excellent scenery!!
Its in chalk canyon, definately a pretty area. And if you get skunked at the high lakes you can always stop by chalk lake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Epic,

What a great trip. I make it up to Pomeroy every couple of years or so. Feels like I'm on a different planet. Don't know if I can go anymore. I have a morphine pump in me, and altitude screws it up. What a grea adventure. If you are in the hunt for greyling, may I suggest Joe Wright Reservoir. It is up by Long Draw. We were there about 2 months ago and must have caught about 50 in 1 afternoon. Another lake that produces greyling is Pearl Lake. That one is up by Steamboat. Lots of cuts, and some nice greylings as well.

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I know Joe Wright has tons... Its just such a long drive from colorado springs. I will head up there next year for sure and catch me some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts