Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ooops - I responded to jfish when it should have been ePIC. Sorry! jfish - I appreciate the tip on Blue Fly Cafe - a lot of fishing is about garnering knowledge and tips, isn't it? I'll give them a look because there are always patterns that I hate to tie (most dries anyway).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hey!! Not sure where my previous, long winded response went to. As I was typing it I got a notice that another reply had been posted so I guess my first reply went out to vaporland.

[jfish you can disregard my previous apology]

The gist of my reply was that the foundation of any fly is the hook. The lower the quality hook, the lower the quality of the fly. A beautiful fly tied on a cheap hook (i.e dull, too light or heavy, brittle or flimsy) will only drive you nuts as you lose fish or can't set the hook. My experience with online flies has been that they are made of inferior materials, poorly tied and use cheap hooks. [But I'll still check out Blue Fly Cafe]. The $2 flies are ocassionally as bad and cheap and that really hacks me off. But generally the local shops sell high quality stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the flies from Sportsmens Warehouse but do like to stop at Jacks in Ft. Collins on my way out of town to fish the Poudre or North Park. The flies may be the same as those from Sportsmens Warehouse but Jacks is definitely a cooler store - you should check it out. [Note: if I remember correctly there are 2 Jacks in Ft. Collins, you'll want the first one out of town, the second is a farm.ranch supply shop I believe].

Hope this helps - too bad I lost my first reply, it was much better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.