Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for the interest. I'm just throwing this out there for ideas. Hopefully it will develop into something that can benefit all of us.
Mission Statement
United Sportsmen of Colorado (USC) will work towards protecting the rights of grass root hunters, fishermen and gun owners in Colorado. Through working together with the DPW, USFS and others to enhance resources through volunteer programs with goals of providing more sportsmen opportunities. Helping Kids, disabled, wounded warriors, veterans and elderly outdoor programs and goals of improving and "opening" in lieu of shutting off or limiting access and opportunities for sportsmen.

Just a rough first draft, I'm looking for input because I want this to be Your Organization. Wouldn't it be nice if the sportsmen in Co. had a real effective Organization that is working for them to support their rights and opportunities? I'm more involved with the fishing side of things but here are some recent opportunities lost or heading the wrong direction that I know of. Zebra Mussel program restricting boating days and hours on multiple lakes, Williams fork stayed closed to boating until July. Green mtn. has had similar lost boating issues and Willow cr. just got shut down from wakeless speeds only, to no motors allowed/ hand cary only, these are just a small example of statewide opportunities lost. Management issues and regulations need to help provide more, not less opportunities. All of our cold water lakes with Lake trout should have some kind of limit and or protection on large fish and we need to do what it takes to ensure that the regulations are in the best interests of the Anglers opportunities, not just the DPW's interest. Manage to keep some trophy pike opportunities and enhance our warm water fisheries. When our opportunities are taken away it is very difficult if not impossible to get them back. If there is enough interest I will donate and work to get it started but I know I don't have the time and nohow to do it alone. As a whole we are too divided and our opportunities keep decreasing. We all have heard each other ***** about lots of issues without any effective recourse. Hunters and Gun owners have lot's of issues also and we would need advocates among Hunters fishermen and gun owners in all areas.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
That is a good start Redleader, and an idea long overdue.

I know that just here on this forum we we warmwater and coldwater enthusiasts, hunters of ducks, upland birds and big game, so a good core group is all ready in place if people want to be involved.

I for one do.

PD

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That's an awesome mission statement!. Maybe the next step is to organize a get together or meeting that's conveniently timed and located for all who are interested in helping set the foundation of the USC. From the looks of it just from the different guys on this forum, there is tons of skills, talents, and knowledge that can pooled and organized to build something that will make a real difference and make fishing and hunting all around better in Colorado for lot of people.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's an awesome mission statement!. Maybe the next step is to organize a get together or meeting that's conveniently timed and located for all who are interested in helping set the foundation of the USC. From the looks of it just from the different guys on this forum, there is tons of skills, talents, and knowledge that can pooled and organized to build something that will make a real difference and make fishing and hunting all around better in Colorado for lot of people.
Yah if we could just get Hobie to be president, Lol.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree,great mission statement.Will support USC with all my resources.Wise man says:time,talent and money are necessary to accomplish great undertakings.I'm ready to pay my first annual dues(which imo are absolutely necessary),volunteer,attend meetings,whatever I can do.Which leads me to...

The voice of USC will be there.But...commitments from board/staff may weigh heavily on volunteers.Who will take USC to the next level and have a true model/business plan in order to make it a truly successful endeavor.Wish I could say I was that guy,I'm not.Someone with more time and talent will have to fill those shoes.

My hand will remain on the checkbook awaiting instruction.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm 100% in!

As stated before, let me know what you are in need of. I will do whatever I possibly can to help the effort.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I will help out any way I can.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
As you know redleader, I'm all in with whatever I can do.

Don't have much of a checkbook, but if you need boots on the ground in Denver, any planning or writing, whatever... just let me know.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm very interested in this idea. It is something I feel that needs to become a strong organization with people that are out there on the water and in the field to have a voice for what we love to back it up. I'm all in. If enough people are willing, I think a meeting should be a good way to get started and get organized.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just came across this post. Very interesting. I certainly could support something like this. One thought, maybe start with a smaller scope - fishing. Then could bring in hunting and gun ownership later. Might be easier to get going with a narrow focus. I am also a hunter and gun owner and man there is whole other set of issues around those areas. Anyways, I would support either way - great idea.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I like Fish0099's idea of narrowing the focus. IMO it would be best to eat the pie a bite at a time instead of trying to eat it whole. A project like this could be pretty dang daunting to try to handle all at once.

My thoughts: Get a core group established. Set the focus. Get established. Then begin to branch out into other chapters if you will.

Just thinking out loud...................

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The reason I started the thread the other day with the predator protection alliance, but as soon as Steve said United Sportsmen Of Colorado it just popped. That being said as far as fishing goes there are already a number of clubs/groups that lobby for certain species. Bass clubs, CWA, trout unlimited, etc.... What can an organization like USC offer that these clubs can't. Immediately I would say having a larger wider focus can help the USC have a voice to help average Joe's and top level fisherman alike. We can get behind projects like Owen's and then also lobby for lake trout/pike protection slots etc.... That being said I can see this very easily turn into a group that only express the views of a few, and not a group that is speaking for the majority of fisherman in the state. I agree with narrowing our focus to fishing at least to start. I'm interested in being a part of a group of fisherman that want to make a difference, but in all honesty I have little interest getting into gun rights,etc....

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the great input, the idea was to have a larger user base and be an outlet for all sportsman related approved projects and issues.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What do guns have to do with protecting and enriching our fisheries?
One of the main purposes of United Sportsmen of Colorado will be for a resource for sportsman who wish to advocate what's important to them, not just concerning fishing. The USC will have info and guidance on how when and where you can voice your thoughts and opinions to the right people about what matters to you.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
what matters to me is protecting and enriching our fisheries. I'll let the NRA handle guns. They seem to be doing a killer job.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts