Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone thinks it makes any difference to use a snap swivel on a crankbait or not? Any preference? Direct tie, swivel, plain snap or doesn't seem to matter?

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
They're not supposed to spin so u shouldn't need a swivel.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Swivels impede the action of the lure-I never use one except on spinners which I hardly ever fish.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have to admit I've been doing that for quite a while. Just recently began to question whether that was right or not. I change out cranks pretty often but it's easy enough to tie them on. Thanks folks...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
my rule of thumb is never use a snap swivel, if the lure has an o ring use a snap, if it has a screw eye tie direct, a lot of time I use a snap swivel on a 2 foot section of fluorocarbon 6lb test. if your reel has a good drag you can land any fish in colo. on 6 lb test even a 35 lb carp but it will take a long time

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice on correcting something that I was obviously doing wrong...a lot of little things like that can make a difference. Appreciate the help,

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I will use snap for ease of change but not a snap swivel. If I could learn how to tie a Rapala knot fast I'd use that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
IMO if you are fishing aggressively and triggering reaction strikes you can use snaps for ease of changing up and saving line. For example browns over the next couple of months get way aggressive and I don't think in most bodies of water they will shy away from seeing a snap. Also, I don't notice snaps changing the action - that is to say I still catch em with snaps as long as it is a reaction strike bite.

Outside of those few times of year when they are super aggressive I don't use snaps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use small crankbait snaps, without a swivel. They're small enough to not affect the action of all but the smallest cranks any more than a few feet of fluorocarbon ahead of my nanofil. They come in sizes small enough to make them difficult to handle, but make changing patterns a painless process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't generally fish for trout, and I do use a snap swivel quite often. I haven't noticed any difference in catch rate when I use one and when I don't. I also can't see any significant difference in the action of a crankbait or in most topwater baits. Sometimes I will tie directly, and I will usually retie the snap every so often to keep the line near the knot fresh and undamaged.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback. After considering all that and researching this I'll be doing things differently than I have been, at least I'm going to try the following and see how it works out.

For cranks-Fas-snap, picked some up at BP in the fly fishing area: http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fas-snap-no-knot-fas-snap?cmCat=CROSSSELL_SEARCH_HZ1. You can see how these work here: https://www.bassmaster.com/video/use-snaps-save-time
basically eliminates rings and after trying them at home they seem to be plenty strong and offer a lot of freedom and are easy to use. Figure they're worth a try.

For spinners and spoons I'm going to use either a snap swivel or swivel on the leader with a regular snap.
I'd like to use just snaps on spoons but sometimes they twist up line so I think a swivel is needed.

Jigs and tubes-direct tie.

Of course this is all subject to change as I try these things out but I guess that's where experience comes into play. I think this will be a big improvement though after always using snap swivels on just about everything....Again, appreciate you folks taking the time to comment.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
For cranks-Fas-snap, picked some up at BP in the fly fishing area: http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fas-snap-no-knot-fas-snap?cmCat=CROSSSELL_SEARCH_HZ1. You can see how these work here: https://www.bassmaster.com/video/use-snaps-save-time
basically eliminates rings and after trying them at home they seem to be plenty strong and offer a lot of freedom and are easy to use. Figure they're worth a try.

ent.
I wouldn't use those. They frighten me severely. A large aggressive fish will toast that POS.

A duo-lock snap is what you want:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Duolock-Snaps/702222.uts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slayerfish, I have some similar to that but the duo-locks look better than the ones I have. Would you remember what size you're using? I'm guessing 7/16" or 9/16". I could better judge if I saw them but not sure when I'll be up to Cabellas. Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use a swivel on every rod I own for every method of fishing period.I will go into detail at lunch,right now I'm on break.Be back soon and I know it will help.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Slayerfish, I have some similar to that but the duo-locks look better than the ones I have. Would you remember what size you're using? I'm guessing 7/16" or 9/16". I could better judge if I saw them but not sure when I'll be up to Cabellas. Thanks
I usually buy them at Basspro. I use the smallest they got.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I've been using snaps like a mofo. So much nicer when you aren't going to be using one lure all day. I especially love snaps when you gotta use leader for pike...easy to change lures without losing leader.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Real Quick
I use a swivel from main line to a leader then a snap on everything except when jigging I tie directly to jig.Everything you do will twist your line.I have ruined lots of line in the past even lead core.all it takes is a leaf,foul hook or something to start twisting.I have found that a swivel to a leader(I use 2 foot)to what ever your doing works better than a snap swivel and it doesn't effect lure performance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts