Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm wondering if y'all ever use split shot to get your flies down deep? I'm using floating line and with bead heads and stuff I can get em down but I believe I've heard of people using split shot? ....if so where would you guys suggest I put the split shot on the line, close to the fly, middle of the leader ex.?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have only fly fished once and it was last Saturday so take this as you will.

I have been asking a ton of questions about fly fishing and a big topic has been Nymphing. I am self teaching myself and with the help of buddies, books, internet searches, youtube videos and now, this site, I am learning. I actually discussed this very topic with a co-worker today and explained what I had read about using shot when nymphing.

Basically, put tippet on your leader. Put your nymph on the end of the line (obviously) and put the shot just above the knot you created when tying your tippet to your leader (so it doesn't slip toward the fly). Add shot to go deeper and/or depending on the current. More current = more shot to get the fly down. You then put an indicator up on your leader somewhere. The book I read said put it up about 2 feet higher than the depth of the water and adjust the indicator/weight as needed. He said the key is to change up the weight until you find the right depth and start hitting the fish.

Again, this is what I have read and learned through research. Also my buddy who is huge into fly fishing said this is how he does it. I am doing a ton of research as I just started fly fishing and since I have only made it out once (and it was amazing) I have been spending my time researching. If this information is incorrect please let me know.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can use split shot (I do) and/or a combo of weighted nymphs. The drawback of splitshot is that it's one more thing you need to be cognizant of as far as strike detection. The splitshot tinking along on the bottom can affect when you set the hook, in that you may think its a fish when in reality its your weights hanging up on a rock for a brief moment. It goes the other way too, in that you mistake it the other way and you actually miss a fish that ate your flies and spit them out before you set the hook. It takes practice to distinguish one from the other, and that's not to say you'll continue to miss strikes.

You can also buy/tie lighter and heavier versions of the same flies. It is a pain to change them out all the time if you're not getting deep or hanging up too much, but it will help with strike detection. Generally speaking, I tie the heavier fly closer to the indicator, and then behind that (further away from the indicator) the smaller, lighter fly. I've found I get wrapped and tangled much more often with the heavier flies further away from the indicator on a normal rig so I follow those guidelines for my nymph rig. That can change however if you're using a European or Czech style rig and the heavier nymphs are further away from your strike indicator.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Heck ya I use split shot JW!

Tiny itty bitty ones usually, you can get em at the fly shop up there.

6-12 inches up the leader from the nymph.

When you have enough you're ticking the bottom with out getting hung up.

You may have to change how much weight you have on for each run.

PD

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Basically, put tippet on your leader. Put your nymph on the end of the line (obviously) and put the shot just above the knot you created when tying your tippet to your leader (so it doesn't slip toward the fly). Add shot to go deeper and/or depending on the current. More current = more shot to get the fly down. You then put an indicator up on your leader somewhere. The book I read said put it up about 2 feet higher than the depth of the water and adjust the indicator/weight as needed. He said the key is to change up the weight until you find the right depth and start hitting the fish.
Dead nuts on!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Dead nuts on!
A question I have is how to tie the indicator on so it doesn't slide up and down on the line. Do you have a video or a knot to look up for this? Other than that I think I get it.

I have little plastic bobber indicators and also the indicators that just look like hair or something. I am not sure what they are called but I have those.

Advice for tying on the indicator?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Dead nuts on!
X2!

I like to have enough weight to "tick" bottom every 3-4 casts with a "good" drift so I know I am where I want to be.(side note: when using indicator and weight it is not always about getting on the bottom, sometimes the fish are suspended and you only need to get it to their level)

If you're not catching and you think you have a good fly on with a good drift, then change your weight or depth(indicator) until you get the desired response.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A question I have is how to tie the indicator on so it doesn't slide up and down on the line. Do you have a video or a knot to look up for this? Other than that I think I get it.

I have little plastic bobber indicators and also the indicators that just look like hair or something. I am not sure what they are called but I have those.

Advice for tying on the indicator?
Use a Thingamabobber.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lots of ways to apply weight and specifically split shot.

I tend to fish 3 fly nymph rigs. My first fly is the heavier fly, trailed by 2 other lighter flies. I like this better than split shot. However, if its not heavy enough, I add split shot or Mojo mud about 6" above the fly.

I dont put it above the knot I use because, one that only works if you are using short sections of tippet, and two if it does slide it tends to cut your knot.

Instead, I go with the distance above the fly more.

Another way is to put smaller split shots between the flies. So, on a 3 fly set up, I will put small split shot between them.

Mostly, it varies on water depth and clarity.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Use a Thingamabobber.
I have been. After watching a video I learned that I have been attaching them right. The guy did show a cool trick to keep it from sliding. Basically after you attach it like normal take a toothpick and put it in the eye of the thingamabobber. This keeps it steady on the line. They also sell a thingamabobber with a "jamstop" that does the same thing. I actually have some of those and had no idea what that piece was for.

Sweet.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Personally I don’t like to put it above the knot either. I typically just pinch one on my line wherever I think I need one. I don't like the tungsten ones as I feel that they do not crimp well and never stay put. I just use good old lead, and if I need some weight I use tungsten putty on my split shot.
One other method not mentioned here that I use goes like this. Instead of putting your split shot above the knot leave about an inch of the tag end and ad your split shot to the tag end. If you put it close to the knot it doesn't hamper casting, and if gets snagged just pull and usually you can slide the shot off. If it ends up sliding off you just put on a new one.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
One other method not mentioned here that I use goes like this. Instead of putting your split shot above the knot leave about an inch of the tag end and ad your split shot to the tag end. If you put it close to the knot it doesn't hamper casting, and if gets snagged just pull and usually you can slide the shot off. If it ends up sliding off you just put on a new one.[/QUOTE]

Like this idea!

Gunna try it out this week.

Thanks for the insight.
:thumb:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
carp guys use this tactic on hair rigs.. They do it so the hook stays put on the bottom but allows the boilie to float. Pretty cool idea... I died up my carp rigs like this yesterday.

:thumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I also use tiny split shots, above the top fly for the most part. I will sometimes leave a tag on the lower fly and put a split shot there. I use the tiny shot and adjust the weight with putty (mojo mud, tungsten putty, etc.) that I work around the split shot.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Personally I don’t like to put it above the knot either. I typically just pinch one on my line wherever I think I need one. I don't like the tungsten ones as I feel that they do not crimp well and never stay put. I just use good old lead, and if I need some weight I use tungsten putty on my split shot.
One other method not mentioned here that I use goes like this. Instead of putting your split shot above the knot leave about an inch of the tag end and ad your split shot to the tag end. If you put it close to the knot it doesn't hamper casting, and if gets snagged just pull and usually you can slide the shot off. If it ends up sliding off you just put on a new one.
This^^^

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I generally put a small splitshot above my tippet knot or two if I really need to get down. The second is not so much for weight as extra surface area to mold tungsten putty to. Then I adjust my weight by adding and subtracting putty. As far as attaching my indicator i use yarn or thingamabobbers. I loop the keader where I want the indicator to be. Usually about 1 1/2 the depth of the water. I stick the loop thru the hole. Then I open the loop up and slip it over the indicator kind of like a loop to loop connection. Never had a problem with them slipping.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts