Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take a ultralight hiking trip each summer with my brother and keep things to a minimum in my pack. I have a 7 foot Medium Action telescoping spin cast rod that has served me well for the past two years - the key reason I use it is because it telescopes in on itself and packs down to only about 15" long. This last year I borrowed a cheapie fly reel from a friend and took it with me. I have no clue what the weight of the reel or fly line was that I was using... It took some practice, but I managed to get pretty comfy switching from the spin cast reel which I use in the alpine lakes, to the fly reel and working the streams with my "ghetto rig" with dry and drop flies.

I decided this year to purchase a new 5/6 fly reel. Now I need some advice on what weight of fly line & taper I should buy to put on my reel considering I'm using a fairly cheap, medium action 7 foot spin cast rod...?

I'm also open to suggestions from anyone that has experience with using a combo rig like this - anyone have a brand/model of rod that they love using interchangeably with either a spin cast or fly reel? It would need to be cost effective (i.e. cheap) and be able to break down and pack easily!

Thanks for your help!

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
If you are looking for a very good combo spin/fly rod check out the Trailmaster by Eagle Claw. They have been out on the market seems forever and are one of the top selling rods on the market. I see you are out in MO so you should be able to find them in your local tackle shops like Bass Pro. Here is a couple links on the rods.

http://www.eagleclaw.com/product/rods/product-line/Trailmaster

http://www.basspro.com/Brand-Eagle-Claw/Fishing-Fishing-Rods/_/N-1z0xcs4Z1z0uxb3?cm_sp=EglClwVdStltEGRdJan2015_CFM

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links!

Any advice on the fly line weight & taper you would use on a 7 foot medium action rod with a 5/6 fly reel?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just pick up a tenkara rod, better for ultralight hiking than anything else you will find...

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I do many hiking expeditions into the high lakes each year. It's not an option to bring only 1 rod. Must have both a spin rod and a fly rod-

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Thanks for the links!

Any advice on the fly line weight & taper you would use on a 7 foot medium action rod with a 5/6 fly reel?
Actually I can't since I'm not a flailer. I tried it once, set up a Trailmaster Combo rod for traveling and even set up a 9wt rod for pike then just lost interest...wasn't me. Maybe someone else can chime in with the info you need...pistol or the bug!!! ::)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Here's my opinion...

My pref would be Slayer's advice, but if you insist on trying flyline on a spin rod I'd probably go with the lighter of the 2 options (5/6 reel) and go with a 5 weight line.

Honestly spend a few extra dollars and get a 4 pc 5 weight rod, it will cast immeasurably better.

A quick search on Google of "4 pc 5 weight fly rod" comes up with $62.00

Right tool for the right job theory..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my opinion...

Right tool for the right job theory..

You've got a point there pistol. I've def gotten my $ worth from the telescoping rod, so it may be time to pony for the upgrade.

Much obliged fellas. You guys must all be old friends! The pikester pointed me to some Flat Tops threads from back in the day and you're all posters (or posers..? :cool:). Slayer it looks like you documented a nice trip up to the Tops a few years back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts