Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hmmmmm........good question! I don't know myself. I have just seen them used in videos in the past but I don't know if Colorado allows them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It seems, offhand, unlikely that there would be a law prohibiting the use of an underwater light.

[Say, wouldn't you have to fish underwater too? DOH!]

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a bobber that lights up at night. I don't use it to attract fish, but so I can see where my line is at, and so someone else doesn't cast over my line.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tried the underwater lights and seemed to do nothing more than attract a million, billion little bugs. Those underwater lights are tricky too. You have to be careful or you burn em out ASAP. Everything I read about them indicated that they were the way to go for aggressive predators. Maybe they were talking about the bugs...
T-Fin

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I think its gimmickie but there are those deep water fish that have natural lights and ufe them to fish. I know I seen it on finding nemo ;).

·
Registered
127 Posts
They use underwater lights at Lake Mead, fishing for stripers. The lights are to attract bait fish, which, in turn attract the game fish.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
the underwater lights attract the bugs, which in turn atrract bait fish, which should then attract game fish. of course, it could be light out by then  :-\ 

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have seen lanterns suspended over the side of a boat (they attract lots of bugs!) I've seen the "green lights" that are put in the water (very expensive). Anyone ever use these methods, and if so any success? I was thinking of just tying a glow stick to a few ounces of lead and dropping it over the side on a string. Then jigging around it. Has anyone every tried that?

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive seen the new LED type fishing lamps...which burn for a long long time compared to the older style. i know guys who would set them and come back to them later and fish around them with minnows....as stated, the lights attracts bugs, and then baitfish, and then the larger fish. some guys used them for crappies too, with the same idea in mind. i dont know if fish are attracted to them or not, but they seemed to have worked for people in the past. beats staring at darkeness all night long at least. i know i used to fish under dock lights for snook, specks, and redfish in florida, the idea was the same...lights+bugs=baitfish and predatory fish. The fish didnt seem scared of the lights at all....

i was also told that a record book great white shark was once caught on a green chem lite...which didnt make me feel too good as i was told this when i was doing an offshore swim at night with a chem lite attached to me in the pacific. who knows if this is true or not, but either way it gave me the creeps....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used a floating light and a light I point at the water with much success for catching crappies at Lon Hagler, I caught so many crappies one night it actually got boring. We pointed my big light which I hook to a spare 12v battery when my son and I were at Union last Friday nite. We didn't catch much but the fish were going nuts in the light. They were jumping out of the water and even running into the boat hitting it hard. I have never seen such a thing. Saturday nite my wife told me to shut the lite out that it was scaring the fish.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ill have to give that a try at Lon Haglar...crappie fishing with minnows under lights sounds like a good way to spend an evening.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I picked up large weight today and I think I will just tie a line to it and use it do drop a large glow stick and try jigging around it. Since glow in the dark jigs work fairly well, maybe a little lite but not too bright might interest the walleyes without making them too shy.

I am going to give it a try Friday nite.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts