Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you talk about this but how excatly do you use them at Jackson. Do you take the tail or what. Need info cause Im going there Fri (TOMORROW)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
This is how I and most others do it. You rip the tail off from the body. It actually comes off pretty easy. Smelly and messy though so watch out! I've gotten crayfish juice before in my eye and that wasn't fun. Anyhow, you can peel the whole shell off or leave it. I prefer the shell be peeled off, but that clear underside of the shell stays. That way, the white meat slips onto the hook and the point of the hook comes out of the little clear undershell and stays on better. This is especially if you're planning to launch that sucker from shore. Oh yeah, that clear underside holds the legs too. I usually pluck all the legs off, but if I'm lazy I'll leave a leg or two just for kicks... Get it... Just for kicks :D

Ok nevermind, dumb joke... But hope that helps. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd draw a diagram on MS Paint, host it on Tinypic and link it to this thread to show you.. But I'm sure you get the idea.... Good luck out there.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Im going to add a question to your post if you don't mind.

I also here about people using mussles? Can someone explain this to me? How to hook um, How to fish them and where to get them?

Sorry for the hijack :)

-Jay

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just like 1eye said. Peel off the top shell and legs. Just for kicks, that's great. :D
I was wondering the same thing about mussles. I wanted to try them too but the only ones I can find are already cooked with garlic. Are these the same ones everyone else uses?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If you find a good creek or canal you dont have to spend half a day just one hour and you got 100 plus to go fishing with. I prefer the ones from the wild than the ones from the store. If you peel of the tails you can tell the difference the one from the wild get your hands all nasty. The ones from the store are real yummy with cajun sauce yum.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You can get mussles from King Soopers. That's the only place I know of. They come in a Green/White/Orange bag from the frozen food section for $5-ish I think. You can use them whole or halfs. Becareful how you hook them because their to fragile.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Yeah.. Mussels sometime frustrate me because they fly off your hook so easily. Especially if launching them from shore. Fisher's right.. King Soopers carrys the only kinds that I like buying because you don't have to cut them off the shell yourself.

It's hard to explain so here's here goes.... Just hook it through the tendon and back up around through the tongue of the mussel. Make sure the lips of the mussel are hooked on too so the darn thing don't fly to pieces when casting. If fishing from a boat, well..... You aint gotta worry bout losing it. I just find where the fish are and drop it right underneath the boat. Reel it back up about a foot and then let the waves take care of the rest.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Aww man,, No wonder my method of ductaping the shell to the "shelled" hook,, get it 1eyered? Is not working too well? It does stay on for quite a while no matter how hard you fling it .. :D

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I would use that method if the "shellcracker" sunfish get big as wipers do....

·
Registered
214 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
Just like 1eye said.  Peel off the top shell and legs.  Just for kicks, that's great. :D
I was wondering the same thing about mussles.  I wanted to try them too but the only ones I can find are already cooked with garlic.  Are these the same ones everyone else uses?
LOL!! Just had to laugh at that cause it reminded me of when I bought the wrong bag ( the one with white wine and garlic sauce)....didn't catch anything but catfish, although that's the only thing that was biting that day...I'm sure they will work just fine on wipers!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts