Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out this troling game and have been seeing alot of fish in the 20'-25' depth range on the Lowrance recently. I assume that using lead core line will get my lures down in the strike zone but I've never used lead core before. I've been using shad raps and flicker shads that will dive to around 10'-12' deep and been moving at 1.8mph or so. So I'm wondering how to gauge how deep down the lures are running by the number of colors of line I run out? All I know is that the line is a different color at different lengths but I don't Know how to tell how much depth I'm adding for each color? Also wondering if I can use a spincasting reel with lead core or is a bait caster better?

Thanks for any help and advice!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The box of lead core will have a rough guide, something like 7 feet per color at 2 mph. So three colors puts you right there in the strike zone. You'll use a large baitcasting type reel. Cabellas has some leadcore rod/reel combos right now at a pretty good price.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If you know you lake pretty well and its not full of weeds, consider a used or inexpensive downrigger set up. You don't need a big setup or weight to get 20-30 feet down. Cranking the rig up and down will give the crew something to do.
Pulling walleye in on three colors of leadcore is not much fun.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I was considering the same thing the other night. How about snap weights? I haven't used them, wondering if any of you have?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
ten yards or 30 feet per color of lead core. each color will get you down around 5 or 6 feet depending on how fast you are going, so if you troll three colors you will be down roughly 15 feet and it is generally better for your lure to be slightly above the depth of the fish because most fish feed up. It will take some tinkering with various baits and speeds, but this is a good starting point. You might also let out enough lead core until you can feel the lure bumping on bottom, then reel up a few cranks and you will be just off bottom if the boat remains in and around the same depth. That will also give you a good idea of how many colors you need at a certain speed to get down. Good question and I bet not too many people here fish lead core on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I was considering the same thing the other night. How about snap weights? I haven't used them, wondering if any of you have?

Snap weights are much better than lead core......speaking of that I need to sell a couple set ups of dumbass lead core. Koke fisherman can have their lead core.

Snap weights are pretty slick for getting deeper. I haven't fished with them in a few years but I just bought a new pack recently so I think they are worth having. A little over priced IMO but **** it. Better than wasting money on other ****.

There you go, Andi, more info for you to know and not use......since you don't fish.

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR20.html

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snap weights are much better than lead core......speaking of that I need to sell a couple set ups of dumbass lead core. Koke fisherman can have their lead core.

Snap weights are pretty slick for getting deeper. I haven't fished with them in a few years but I just bought a new pack recently so I think they are worth having. A little over priced IMO but **** it. Better than wasting money on other ****.

There you go, Andi, more info for you to know and not use......since you don't fish.

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR20.html
What are the pros and cons of using snap weights over lead core? And why do you think lead core sucks, just curious.

Or are you just giving Andy some ****.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help dudes, much appreciated, I'm still a rookie at trolling but I'm getting better.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It's just a heavy line, don't feel anything. Easier to snap a weight on and figure out how deep you are going. Also, don't have to lay out a bunch of line/colors and a grip of line out. Snap weights are just like bebe down riggers. Much easier to manage to me.

I'm feeling nice. I have a couple reels with lead core that have been sitting for years. What side of town are you in? Could let ya borrow them and you can try it for yourself.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Thanks for the help dudes, much appreciated, I'm still a rookie at trolling but I'm getting better.

First thing to learn about trolling.......STOP , don't do it! :lol: :biggrin1:

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
What are the pros and cons of using snap weights over lead core? And why do you think lead core sucks, just curious.

Or are you just giving Andy some ****.
fishing walleye tournys you sometimes use all of the above ways in the same day. they all have their place and you need to know how to use them. lead core can be a pain at times, but you need to learn how and when to use it. snap weights or (poor mans downrigger) are best much of the time, i carry 1,2,3,and 4 oz ball weights and have gone as heavy as 8oz. some times a board with leadcore and a snap weight works best. i do carry keel weights but seldom use them. i make a mini bottom bouncer that gets a lot of use. i have lost about 20 lbs of them this season. they get used in brush a lot, one tourny we lost over 100 rigs to brush but won the tourny. the last tourny that walleye pro Ron Sealhoff fished he won it by trolling 10 colors of leadcore and a shad rap at 3.5 mph to get on bottom in 30 feet of water. when using lead core or snap weights a line counter is a must IMO. when using a snap weight with a spinning reel always count your line out after the weight hits the water with hand pulls from the spool, not as good as a line counter but very close. another thing with leadcore that is impotant is the length of the leader, i use from 3 feet to 45 feet and 6lb fluro to 20 lb but i always use 18 lb leadcore. you cant learn it all here you need to get on the water and use all the metheods to fine the best for you

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Line counter reel makes life easy but counting down your weight works well also. WS is the pro on this subject.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I been thinking........watch out now. I just don't see what lead core can do that snap weights can't do. Lead core is crap.......anyone wanna buy two magda pro 30 line counter reels with 18lb lead core? :lol:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Not always.......untangling lead core is fun.......

Lead core is an old guy thing. They don't know better, it's like teaching them to load pics on a forum.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I been thinking........watch out now. I just don't see what lead core can do that snap weights can't do. Lead core is crap.......anyone wanna buy two magda pro 30 line counter reels with 18lb lead core? :lol:
try trolling your snap weights through brush, lead core handles it pretty good, and when you loose your 9.00 snap weight, i can lose 50 rigs and not be that much, if you havn't looked the off shore clips are now 18.95 per 2

1 - 20 of 24 Posts