Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Tough question. I'm sure people in Utah have their gripes too. I would like to see the DOW take the approach Utah has taken more often than they do. Seems as if the Colorado DOW wants to eliminate all predators.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Western waters won't receive much cool or warm water predators IMO because even sterile fish can escape or be transferred from their stocked waters.
They also won't stock in numbers appropriate, the two main reasons I can see are their lack of commitment to any decent hatchery in the west and their fear that their doctrine that has been preached against the pike and macks will be proven false. The later is probably the main obstruction and will require a total shake up to fix.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Tigers should be in every sucker infested water in the state but they may eat their share of precious rainbows and their is a lot of red tape involved in introducing any new specie (even a hybrid) so I think they will be limited to few areas and doubt we will see them where they are needed or enough to make a difference. Check out the Lake john post for a taste of co management.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The fact is Utah's lakes are 10 times better than Colorado's. You can even take Powell out of the picture and UT still has 10 lakes that are better than anything in CO. Colorado's Bio's manage for their own personal beliefs and not the good of the sportsman or the good of the fish for that matter. It's a good thing Navajo is mostly in NM or they would screw that lake up to. If they had their way we would all be fishing for stocker trout on the westernslope.

·
Registered
513 Posts
All the lakes/drainages with Tiger Musky in Utah also do not have to deal with threatened or endangered species, unlike the westslope of Colo.

Colorado has at least 5 walleye lakes on the east slope that consistently produce bigger fish than Utah.

The Colorado state record Tiger Musky, walleye, largemouth, and wiper are all larger than Utah's. However, Utah should smash its smallmouth state record this year based on the new regs a Jordanelle.

So is this a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just find it odd that the Utah bios say that large predators will help bring balance to stunted panfish and rough fish and at lakes like Crawford the colo bios blame the pike for the stunted panfish ?? Somebody is flat out LYING to the sportsmen and women!

It really has nothing to do with the ESA, screens and nets can be put in place to prevent escapement like at Highline. IF the DOW cared about the sportsmen, I would think they would pursue alternatives to poison and wood chippers ??

·
Registered
513 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
I just find it odd that the Utah bios say that large predators will help bring balance to stunted panfish and rough fish and at lakes like Crawford the colo bios blame the pike for the stunted panfish ?? Somebody is flat out LYING to the sportsmen and women!
Why are they lying? Maybe the DOW has a diferent management theory compared to Utah. I do not know the answer. What I do know is that there is often more than one way to get something done.

[/quote]It really has nothing to do with the ESA, screens and nets can be put in place to prevent escapement like at Highline. IF the DOW cared about the sportsmen, I would think they would pursue alternatives to poison and wood chippers ??
[/quote] Like at Elkhead....right?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Give the PEOPLE what they want or they will do it themselves. This is how bucket biology came to be, and now there is a lovely group out of Hayden relocating fish from Elkhead BACK to the river.

·
Registered
978 Posts
ClackaRam said:
All the lakes/drainages with Tiger Musky in Utah also do not have to deal with threatened or endangered species, unlike the westslope of Colo.

Colorado has at least 5 walleye lakes on the east slope that consistently produce bigger fish than Utah.

The Colorado state record Tiger Musky, walleye, largemouth, and wiper are all larger than Utah's. However, Utah should smash its smallmouth state record this year based on the new regs a Jordanelle.

So is this a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence?
Clack,
the reason I know UT's lakes are better is because I've spent time on the water. There is no comparison when you talk about bass. And the only reason the westernslope has decent pike fishing is because of BB's, not the CDOW.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yea believing in the fairy tale escapement is hysterical, the DOW has created an almost militant resistance due to their crusade against sport fish and lack of management.
They are tagging fish in HG and RG so they can claim the same as Elkhead.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
dieseldoctor said:
Even if you catch a big fish in Utah.....your still in Utah!
LOL +1! Why live in a state that won't sell cold beer?

I do wish we had a lake like Quail Creek out here though... and Gunlock... at least we got our own Strawberry!

SS

·
Registered
341 Posts
A lot of states but us get it. Why do I drive through Julesburg and see no Turkeys and cross the line to Nebraska and they are all over the fields. The fishing is the same minus slimers and lakers. Go fishing anywhere in NE, KS, WY and you will see what management is. Bonny wasnt bad although the DOW could do nothing on that one. Lake John, lets just kill it. The herd of elk in Estes is sacred. Antero, lets just drain it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
powell 2 weekends ago, limited on nice walleyes and crappie. Will be going back this weekend SMB should be on, plan to hit Flaming Gorge June for 2 weeks. Yup, 45 minutes to Blue Mesa 5 hours to Gorge......Gorge wins, Dan and his boys will be out netting and killing soon on Blue Mesa, what a sickening state of afairs over here. UTAH may not be perfect but they sure as heck are doing a better job than the CDOW. Wayne the Bio for Powell has a cult like following, I don't think Patty Marteniz and his lovely wife have a single fan (posioned all the Colorado river ponds and stocked with MRT's)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts