Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I did a report or fished for that matter. I've had very few opportunities to hit the jerkbait bite due to work kicking my ass. But, I have managed to fish for a few hours here and there with no eyes to show for it.

So, after a full week of non-stop happiness at work; I decided enough of the working and time to chase some mythical demons of the night that beckon to all that follow this forum and few have managed to master- The 10lb Walterbeast. So with little time to waste I headed to P-Lo around 9 last night and pulled and allnighter with a fellow workaholic. Action was slow the first three hours with only 2 to show for our efforts. Tons of glowing eyes reflected in the moonlight cruising withing feet of the rip rap tombstones and drifted wood shallows but only 1 typical 17 3/4" eyeball managed to fall prey to our endless pounding of the water with typical patterns.

By midnight my old ass was sore, tired and grumpy from scampering, stumbling and cussing the rip rap sea of boulders, trash and timber that littered the dam face. All the while hearing Slayer laughing while he slept comfortable in his bed with a full belly of tasty walleye. Suddenly it dawned on me and I said "[email protected] this ****. The 10lb Walter Beast won't be happening today" and a fat kid has to eat at some point. So I headed back up the dam face with visions of Denny's dancing in my head....

Then after catching my breath, a quick bag of peanuts from my trusty cargo pocket and meeting back up with my buddy; We decide to go for broke and fish on into the morning in search of.....something that would fill our damn stomachs that wouldn't cost us anything but more time!!

We headed to some shallow haunts. After sharing what little info we had gained from the numerous very light hits and one measly fish we decided to switch tactics and try a more subtle approach. Within a few hours 8 fish were landed and released with plenty more sightings and light bites. But, alas all were still just shy of frying pan size (more like plenty big enough to eat but illegal in our precious walleye preserve).

So off to another similar area we went. Still hungry, tired and now even more aggravated by Slayer's laughter rigging in my head ("Hamsta, vamping is for the youngsters" or something to that affect) I pressed on.

After another flurry of activity with a few more fish added to the tally (all short) I was growing super sleepy as the night grew into near sunrise. But still yearning for "something" (Hell, at this point I was seeing pink elephants due to the lack of sleep and probably yearning for my pillow and blanky) I downsized yet again and finally landed one 18" (not a millimeter longer) walleye for a sammich today.

Hope you all got a chuckle or two out of Ninja's Walter Beast quest part 33.

TO BE CONTINUED......

·
Registered
625 Posts
fun read :)

I don't try to delight in other's misery but if a master aint getting any I feel slightyl (only slightly) better about my damn near zero tally.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Good stuffs! I hate 17 3/4 ROFL... I think the timing was good, but the dam seems to get tough post spawn. Seems like you adapted.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I think most of the big girls have dispersed up lake. I lost a big one two days ago that was up lake. Spawn is tough on the females! I caught a 28" eye last week that looked like it had just dropped its eggs and i thought it might die on me as I was trying to revive her.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
You're a sick pup, Ninja! That vampin stuff is brutal! Hope ya didnt hafta work today!

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
That's great you at least got out Ninja! Way to persevere and stick it out, can always get sleep when you're gone!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You're a sick pup, Ninja! That vampin stuff is brutal! Hope ya didnt hafta work today!
I wish I was still a "pup". This old dog is beat still-LMAO. Got to sleep by about 6:30 am and the phone started ringing about 8 am. Luckily it was someone who was paying extra for my time or I would have been pissed. Got up and made a couple G's today which will help with the lack of sleep.
But 5 hours of sleep in the last 48 hrs isn't something I've done in a long while. So it's a good thing I'm off for another two days cuz after I have a few adult beverages it's a wrap (burpppppp!!). I will sleep at least 10 hours when I go to bed tonight.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like you adapted
I've been blessed to have fished with quite a few good/great walleye guys who have taught me a trick or two. So, getting the skunk doesn't happen to often unless I get stubborn and chase only Big Girls.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but if a master aint getting any I feel slightyl (only slightly) better about my damn near zero tally.
The only thing I have mastered so far is what lures to use where so as to keep my losses to a minimal $$$$. Lucky Crafts ain't cheap brotha! Gotta reserve them for certain areas for sure. Many others on here are worthy of the title "Master". I am but a grasshopper....

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think most of the big girls have dispersed up lake. I lost a big one two days ago that was up lake.
We did have a few big girls follow but to no avail. For whatever reason they just weren't eating.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Vamping for the goal of a 10+ lb trophy can be relentless. In all honesty it is much more unlikely to happen now in the postspawn when most fish are skinny. I would have to guess that 90% of giants are caught in March and November, at least in Colorado. If you keep pushing yourself now you may experience burnout and quit the vampire misery all together. My suggestion: go out and target some other species and save your sanity and sleep schedule until ideal months roll around again. :thumb:

BTW, the rough nights/weeks/months/years make the big ones feel all that much better when they finally succumb to your offerings!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you keep pushing yourself now you may experience burnout and quit the vampire misery all together. My suggestion: go out and target some other species and save your sanity and sleep schedule until ideal months roll around again.
Your advice is appreciated for sure. But me quitting is not likely. The all nighter was something more out of frustration from being not able to fish the prime time opportunities due to work commitments. While I am some what "obsessive" (as many have seen with my tackle collection); I will not be the ruin of my love for the sport. Fishing is a passion that has been part of me for over 46 years. It started when I was barely old enough to walk with my grandmother.

BTW, the rough nights/weeks/months/years make the big ones feel all that much better when they finally succumb to your offerings!!
That is does. I have three species of fish to complete my quest. They have and will be the most frustrating, challenging and rewarding of all when I get them. It will happen, but patience is a must.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Way to grind it out man.
Flashbacks of the military for sure with the sleep deprivation.... The wife said I was wondering around in a daze for about an hour when I got home that morning. Still managed to stay alert enough to sell off some of the lawn equipment I have left and do two sprinkler activations yesterday before I crashed at 7 pm and slept until just a few minutes ago.

Good to go now. Back on the normal sleep pattern.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've caught most of my large eyes between 2am and sunup, but the largest 13 lbs came just before dark during the 3rd week of july. Caught speed trolling on a large rattlin rouge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts