Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long hiatus for some fantastic elk hunting for myself(bow season) and friends(1st & 2nd rifle), I was itching to get back out and kick off the fall vampire fishing schedule. I've hiked enough miles and packed out 3 bulls and a cow in the past few weeks and was ready for something a little more physically relaxing. I will have a 4th season buck hunt in a couple weeks that will put me on another brief fishing hiatus but for now I will be working on getting back "in the swing" of things so to speak. I will admit it has been a fantastic fall so far despite "sacrificing" fishing time in order to hunt. It isn't often that I get as much opportunity to be out in the woods as I have so far this year and I really enjoyed it. I was able to call in two archery bulls for good friends that I hunt with every year and in 1st season I was able to call in a 6x7 bull to 24 yards for my good friend Jason(JDuncan98). He made a perfect shot and tagged his first ever big game animal. I am hoping for mild temps here in the metro so I can get as much openwater fishing in as possible before the end of 2010. After such a long time off it seems like I am having to relearn all my spots and even just get the feel back for running the lures.

Part 70, October 29th:
Hooked up with my good friend Jerami and despite not getting to fish the solunar window we were hopeful as we headed to the first spot. It was a gorgeous night to be out and we hoped the fish would be on the feed. We hit the lake around 10pm and proceeded to throw everything in the book at them to no avail......they just weren't having any of it. It took until around 1am to finally get a bite and Jerami got on the board with a solid 22" eye.

I ended up with the only other bite for either of us at that spot but couldn't get the hooks in it.(it bit right at my feet) At around 2am we decided to hit one more spot before calling it a night.
The second lake produced more of the same for me.(no love) but Jerami managed one cute little 8" 'eye and another good fish of 24" on a floating stickbait.

We called it a night around 3:30am.

Part 71, October 30th:
Tonight it was JDuncan and myself taking another shot at them. We headed out around 10pm again under fair skies and with 54deg temps. It was a little windy but we hoped to work it to our advantage. Turns out the wind was from a less than perfect direction to the spots we fished first but we gave it a good try anyway. I had been wanting to check and see if the water had cooled enough to get the bigger trout active so we decided to cast the HD Trout and just see what we could turn up. I have caught about everything else on that lure so I knew we weren't eliminating our chances at 'eyes, bass or crappies by sticking with the HD's either. The wind angle made casting the little baits a bit difficult even on 6lb test but persistence always pays and I was soon rewarded with a hungry little largie.(a less than common species for this spot)

Shortly after the release, Jason landed a slightly smaller one on a natural rainbow HD.(no pic)
I was throwing the gold pattern.
I saw what appeared to be a trout surface within casting distance so I concentrated on working the little lure through that area. A couple casts in I got a distinct but halfhearted "bump" but no hookup. I cast one more time in the same spot and about halfway back in the little HD gets pounced on.....this time with gusto. No acrobatics from this fish but it put up a spirited battle and shortly I had this 4lb 14oz. beauty on the lip-grip.

Try as we might we just couldn't buy another bite after that fish. The wind quit and the whole lake just seemed to be asleep.....not even a carp or shad rustling the surface. We decided to hit one more spot hoping for an 'eye before we headed off to bed.
We got to spot number two about 12:45am and set up shop in some likely territory. Not three casts in, Jason gets on the board with a short 'eye on an inferno rogue. Realizing I had donated my last inferno to the rocks the night before I dug through my box for a surrogate. Before I could get it tied on Jason had another short in his hand. The wind was picking up and it was starting to sprinkle as I frantically began working my lure in an attempt to catch up. No such luck as soon Jason had a nice 3.5lber in hand and I had to go for the camera.

By the time we released his fish, the rain was starting to come down pretty good....driven by a stiff wind. Jason has been fighting a cold/bronchitis and as we hadn't come prepared for wet weather he opted to go hide from the wet and avoid tempting a bout of pneumonia. I stubbornly insisted on at least getting one eye and sat in the rain beating up the water. Two more lure changes later I find a good substitute for the inferno by tying on a rogue in "the general" pattern. Not a monster but good enough for me to get out of the rain and head for a warm bed as it was now 2:30am and my legs were pretty soaked.

Hopefully I will be seeing that cute little guy a few years down the road.
With more hunting ahead I don't know if I will quite make my 100 episode goal but we'll give it heck trying........just depends on how early/late the metro lakes ice over.
Thanks for reading guys!

2010 Fish Tally:
Walleye- 107(biggest 12lb. 4oz.)
Saugeye-21 (3lb 6oz.)
Smallmouth-3(4lb 8oz.)
Largemouth- 176(5lbs 10oz.)
Mighty Rainbow Trout - 33 (4lbs 14oz.)
Cutthroat- 1(3lb. 8oz.)
Cuttbow- 3(5lb. 8oz.)
Common Carp-1(31" and around 15lbs)
Wiper- 5(13lb. 3oz.)
Channel Catfish-8(23lbs 7oz)

·
Registered
43 Posts
First time on the boards here, I do fish with Jeremy quite often and as always it is always good fishing with you Jeremy. Our rest of the year should be great. let's get after them again soon.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Nice fish! I was wondering if you had had time to get out, Jeremy! Cool!

And congrats on the great bull, Jason!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys......and Don, if Jason will get me pics I will put up a report in off-topic from his elk hunt. It was a fantastic hunt with all the exciting elements of anticipation, excitement, suspense, disappointment, physical toil and as a bonus a great first bull. He is hooked for sure.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
Thanks guys......and Don, if Jason will get me pics I will put up a report in off-topic from his elk hunt. It was a fantastic hunt with all the exciting elements of anticipation, excitement, suspense, disappointment, physical toil and as a bonus a great first bull. He is hooked for sure.
Great! I was wondering if maybe I had missed it somehow.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Great to have you back "sole." Nice job with the vamp bite. Like yourself, I mostly fish the be-witching hours, and with the cool of winter hitting us, the bite should only get better.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Excellent...the Vampire was missed, or was he just waiting for the perfect time to post his recent victims? :D

D.J.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
It sounds like your elk hunting trip was sweet! It's been a few years since I've gone hunting, I'm really going to have to go next season. Real nice fish and report, that's a nice looking rainbow.

Rickabilly said:
Man, you guys have dominated this year! Great Work!
X2, really nice work this year, that's an awesome list of stats for the year!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts