Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part 72, November 1st 2010:
Met up with Jerami to continue trying to unravel the fall 'eye mystery. We found fairly tough fishing no doubt thanks in part to an abundance of baitfish still easy pickings for the toothy ones. We did manage a couple fish apiece for a photo session. Nothing earthshaking but Jerami got a solid one pushing 5lbs.

Both fish were caught on shad-pattern BPS jerkbaits. The bite has been really tough for us but managing to find a bite here and there.

Part 73, November 3rd 2010:
Headed back out hopeful that we would finally get into some numbers of better fish.....or even just some numbers for that matter. Jerami met me at the lake and proceeded to repeatedly wash our lures for the next few hours. 4hrs in, Jerami heads home having caught just one little baby 'eye.......and myself nada. I stayed for another half an hour or so and finally beat the skunk...........but just ever so barely! :D

At least he was a motivated little fella to take on a 5" bait. I called it quits and headed for the barn down but not out.

Part 74, November 5th 2010:
Headed out for what would turn out to be a really interesting night. Ended up fishing with both Jason(JDuncan98) and my friend Jason Hatt. Between driving between lakes, walking and casting......vehicles, feet and arms all got a good workout. I was throwing everything in the book at them but couldn't get a sniff so I decided to "up the ante" and tied on a Dynamic Lures Khaos in the Golden Shad pattern, snapped in the square twitchin' lip and started casting. My reasoning is that while the bite wasn't hot there may be some bigger fish making forays into the shallow after the young bluegills, shad and stocker trout that are starting to show up there. I just needed to give them a meal substantial enough to get their attention. On the second cast with the Khaos, a solid 'eye decided to cooperate with the plan and smashed the lure solidly. Luckily for me, just as I landed the fish Jason showed up to snap a quick photo or two before the release....

A half hour or so later, Jason hooks up with one of his own......a lanky 4lb 7oz 'eye.

We continued to cast away while waiting for JHatt to show up and just moments before he arrives the Khaos gets crushed again....

This one was another long and lanky fish at 27" but under 7lbs. It did look and fight plenty healthy and swam off vigorously upon release. They really liked that Khaos and made the hookset easy by crushing it and then running with the bait immediately. After that, none of the three of us could manage any more bites so we set off in hopes of greener pastures. We shoulda stayed put as a friend of ours showed up to the spot after we left and managed to catch a 30" 'eye in the exact same spot maybe an hour and a half later. Goes to show....the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It was a good, beautiful night to be a vampire.

2010 Fish Tally:
Walleye- 109(biggest 12lb. 4oz.)
Saugeye-23(4lb 13oz.)
Smallmouth-3(4lb 8oz.)
Largemouth- 176(5lbs 10oz.)
Mighty Rainbow Trout - 33 (4lbs 14oz.)
Cutthroat- 1(3lb. 8oz.)
Cuttbow- 3(5lb. 8oz.)
Common Carp-1(31" and around 15lbs)
Wiper- 5(13lb. 3oz.)
Channel Catfish-8(23lbs 7oz)

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Oh damn hell yeah! I use those BPS dealies too but have a hard time with them. I always wanna pause but can't since they float. You just steady retrieve the floaters?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Another sucessful trip on the night shift! Thanks for posting the report and pics - this may provide the extra motivation needed to get myself off the couch. ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
They strike again!! Very nice..

D.J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts