Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vampire shift - 1
Westsloper - 0

Through everything I had at them tonight, had a few followers and lots of nice fish cruising the shore line (it's creepy when their eyes glow from my headlamp).
Seen one that was pushing the 30" mark. Maybe tomorrow will be the night!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
turn off the headlamp!...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Don't feel bad it was tough tonight!! In five hours at Aurora I caught one slimer and lost what looked like a pretty decent Eye when she started rolling on the surface.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I don't leave it on! I'm not totally worthless...
Sorry pet peeve of mine...want to have a pellet gun in the areas I fish with nearbyers that wont turn their head lamps off when fish or dont turn the other way when tying something new on...

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I have had 5 skunks to start. Too early on my puddles, plus I don't have boat access yet. April will be killer. Can't tell you how many fish, even big fish I have caught with a headlamp on. This is mostly from the boat though, so shore fishing it may be a problem. I have literally had my boat right on top of walleye with a spotlight lots of times and they don't freak out and dash. Just checking shorelines to make sure they are there. They usually just freeze or move into the rocks, but don't leave the area. From shore, maybe different story.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
"They" say power auger scares em while ice fishing also. I dont believe it-

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"They" say power auger scares em while ice fishing also. I dont believe it-
I seem to always catch a fish when someone drills near me! But I have seen eyes stop following a bait as soon as they come into the light from my headlamp. To each their own I suppose.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The big girls are actually smart! Zman is right and it is not even up for debate! But I do think they have short memories. It is not like the area is ruined for the whole night! I like the waning full moon! Tonight should be good?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tonight should be better and I'm hoping to stay out later tonight. I only stayed out until 9:30 last night.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Tonight should be better and I'm hoping to stay out later tonight. I only stayed out until 9:30 last night.
I tracked the full moon bite two years once and found that during the waning phase they became active about an hour later each night! So if you find them active at 10 pm you could expect them to bite around 11 the next night. I have been using that as my guideline for awhile now and I think it has some merit?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip Neal! Tips like that seem to be rare around here these days!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
How weird is it that I was there when that happened to you also? I guess I am just bad luck? LOL
Let me know when the people you fish with start doing well, that way I know the karma has flipped sides and I will fish with you again! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I tracked the full moon bite two years once and found that during the waning phase they became active about an hour later each night! So if you find them active at 10 pm you could expect them to bite around 11 the next night. I have been using that as my guideline for awhile now and I think it has some merit?

Interesting ... moonrise on a full moon occurs at sunset, and moves later in the evening as the moon wanes. Coincidence? I don't have a clue, but one might believe that the solunar tables peak around moonrise & moonset for a reason.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Don't feel bad it was tough tonight!! In five hours at Aurora I caught one slimer and lost what looked like a pretty decent Eye when she started rolling on the surface.
I lost what was probably a 10 lbs class fish last week when it rolled 10 ft from shore. Caught a fish that was almost 11 lbs on the Boga two days later though. I haven't got into numbers yet but I can't wait to get out of the office and hit some water tonight.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vampire shift - 3
Westsloper - 0

Did lose probably a PB smallie though...20" range. Lesson learned, retie every so often when your dragging your line through boulders....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts